1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got rearended -- Pictures

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2012, 09:37 AM
Snowseeker
Hotshot
Received 26 Likes on 16 Posts
Gotta laugh at chevies spare tire holder design. I can't believe they haven't had to have a recall on ALL their spare tire carriers from rust or just simple failure.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM
2000silverbullet
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
No damage...nice! I usually keep this is in my hitch for a little extra protection
I used to do the same, but then all these threads started popping up about the risk of doing more damage (frame) with the hitch in, etc.

Plus, I've heard/read that it's against the law in some states to drive around with a hitch on and no trailer. It's been a couple years since I looked into it so I can't remember the exact details..

Old 11-18-2012, 09:38 AM
dscabra
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
This is a great example not so much of how tough these trucks are, but more of why lift kits can be dangerous. The Envoy wasn't severely damaged so much because your truck was tougher than it, but simply because the structures designed for the impact didn't even come in contact with your truck. Had your truck not been lifted the Envoy's bumper would have been better able to manage the crash forces than the grille and radiator, and lots of damage would have been prevented.

Glad to hear it worked out for you, but much more damage was inflicted on the Envoy than there should have.

Ask THIS GUY what he thinks of lift kits. I rode in his front passenger seat three weeks before it was crushed. These trucks fare badly in rollovers, and lifting the center of gravity for safety doesn't make much sense to me.

I think lift kits are dangerous.
There's one in every crowd. "THIS GUY" was likely driving too fast for the conditions and rolled his vehicle. I see this every time it snows in Colorado. People with four-wheel drive think they are invincible until they have to try to stop, and the heavier the vehicle the worse it gets.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:40 AM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by 2000silverbullet
I used to do the same, but then all these threads started popping up about the risk of doing more damage (frame) with the hitch in, etc.

Plus, I've heard/read that it's against the law in some states to drive around with a hitch on and no trailer. It's been a couple years since I looked into it so I can't remember the exact details..
Really? Hmm. I just leave it in because its gotta be a 50 pound hitch, haha

Old 11-18-2012, 09:56 AM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by acf6
Really? Hmm. I just leave it in because its gotta be a 50 pound hitch, haha
The civic that hit my tahoe missed my hitch,
But did ruin the 7-pin connector and bumper.

Personally i am more worried about backing into a car with the
hitch sticking out. Getting backup camera for christmas.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:58 AM
dscabra
Tuned
Originally Posted by Misky6.0
As crazy said bumper height mismatch is what mattered.
i had a rear ender in my tahoe. Kids in civic didn't see me
turning and slammed on their brakes, noise diving low.
Lifted the rear of my tahoe turned me 90* as they hit my
Left rear. I broke seat from impact the civic was totalled.
I drove it home after visit to ER after putting seat verticle again
The height difference between the Envoy and the Honda was about the same as from my truck to the Envoy. Imagine if the kid in the honda had hit me instead. I understand why some people feel lifting a vehicle creates a danger, but unless every vehicle on the road has the same height bumpers, it just doesn't matter much. Fewer distractions in the vehicles is a much more important battle to fight in my opinion. The kid in the Honda was obviously dictracted by something. Had he been paying attention, there would be no accident to talk about.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:01 AM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 672 Likes on 441 Posts
Originally Posted by dscabra
There's one in every crowd. "THIS GUY" was likely driving too fast for the conditions and rolled his vehicle. I see this every time it snows in Colorado. People with four-wheel drive think they are invincible until they have to try to stop, and the heavier the vehicle the worse it gets.
Haha, I didn't think you'd like my reply. Many don't, but I guess if we all agreed the world would be a boring place. My main point was simply that the Envoy suffered so much damage because it took a hit in a place it wasn't designed to. Because of your lift.

Glad to hear nobody got hurt and your truck fared well.

I agree with this, the hitch is designed not to have any give to it for safe towing, which isn't what you want in a collision. Not sure if you saw the pics from when my wife wrecked my '08, but it was the frame damage that ended up totalling the truck out. Different circumstance of course, as the impact to the axle bypassed any absorbing structures and went straight to the frame courtesy of relatively unyielding radius arms.

My perspective is different than many here I guess...in an accident I could care less about how well my truck makes it out. The health and well-being of everyone involves trumps material objects of any value. It wouldn't matter who was at fault, I'd gladly sacrifice my vehicle for the other party's safety.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:09 AM
Quad Racer
Cargo Master
Received 135 Likes on 103 Posts
Glad everyone is ok. Sounds like a texting incident to me. The kid was never looking (no skid marks, well atleast on the road). The two vehicles behind yours appear to be stock and sustained considerable damage. So in this accident I'd say the score is 1-0. In a rollover situation it may fair differently.Dscabras truck is also wider than stock as well which would aid and reverse some of the center of gravity issues added with the lift. If the Honda had hit you I'd bet you'd have sustained more damage and destroyed his car and maybe him.

There have been a few bad drivers looking to target my truck lately. Most of the time its a 15 YO vehicle thats likely not even road worthy. I'm sure they all have great insurance policies too.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:34 AM
guywithaZ
Junior User
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
Glad everyone is ok. Sounds like a texting incident to me.

This.

On a kind off off topic note...

When I was younger I wanted one of those Preludes. The Si had this really nifty digital dash set up. Well, nifty for 95 lol.

Old 11-18-2012, 10:49 AM
dscabra
Tuned
Originally Posted by Quad Racer
Glad everyone is ok. Sounds like a texting incident to me. The kid was never looking (no skid marks, well atleast on the road). The two vehicles behind yours appear to be stock and sustained considerable damage. So in this accident I'd say the score is 1-0. In a rollover situation it may fair differently.Dscabras truck is also wider than stock as well which would aid and reverse some of the center of gravity issues added with the lift. If the Honda had hit you I'd bet you'd have sustained more damage and destroyed his car and maybe him.

There have been a few bad drivers looking to target my truck lately. Most of the time its a 15 YO vehicle thats likely not even road worthy. I'm sure they all have great insurance policies too.
I have no idea if he was texting or not, but he obviously was distracted. He swears he wasn't using his phone at the time. If the Honda had hit me, he likely would have impacted the rear diff before he stopped moving and my receiver would have been in his windshield.

Old 11-18-2012, 05:20 PM
Yahiko
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 542 Likes on 396 Posts
Haha, I didn't think you'd like my reply. Many don't, but I guess if we all agreed the world would be a boring place. My main point was simply that the Envoy suffered so much damage because it took a hit in a place it wasn't designed to. Because of your lift.

Glad to hear nobody got hurt and your truck fared well.

I agree with this, the hitch is designed not to have any give to it for safe towing, which isn't what you want in a collision. Not sure if you saw the pics from when my wife wrecked my '08, but it was the frame damage that ended up totalling the truck out. Different circumstance of course, as the impact to the axle bypassed any absorbing structures and went straight to the frame courtesy of relatively unyielding radius arms.

My perspective is different than many here I guess...in an accident I could care less about how well my truck makes it out. The health and well-being of everyone involves trumps material objects of any value. It wouldn't matter who was at fault, I'd gladly sacrifice my vehicle for the other party's safety.
Sorry about the
But reading what Crazy001 made me think back to a very bad accident that I was nearly involved.
Guy racing down a road I heard him coming and looked up and saw him. I was ready to get rear ended
and then he pops out into oncoming traffic and heads on a lady. Both were killed and I feel still had he just hit me
in that F250 I had she would still be here and I would be ok because his was a small car. 2 cars @45mph
she tried to stop he even pushed her cad back. His car bounced back onto the guard rail and looked like a
crushed beer can with a person in it. Her car was not so crushed. Something in the car went into her and she
bled out. This was about 1997 when that happened and I still think about it every now and then. This post triggered
it and sorry if I post this but I need to get it out. I guess it is sort of survivor guilt but I know that I did all that I could
and being one of the first responders did help but still. I talked to her husband about a year later.
This is still hard to deal with years later.

Sean

Old 11-18-2012, 06:40 PM
Monster-4
Logistics Pro
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
This. In an accident it's all about dissapation of energy over time. When I hear people say "they don't built 'em like they use to" my response is always "I'm glad they don't!" We all complain and shake our heads when a fender bender costs thousands of dollars to fix but that's a small price to pay to save lives.
Also a bigger mass doesn't always mean safer. I'm sure for every example where mass helps there are examples where it hurts in an accident. Anyway I'll get off my soapbox and glad to hear everyone is ok.

Old 11-18-2012, 07:08 PM
AlaskanEx
Bleed Ford Blue

Received 128 Likes on 43 Posts
glad everyone made it out safe! thats ALL that matters.

the envoy did sustain much worse front damage then if his f-250 was stock, but that's not his fault. blame the kid in the Honda. we all modify our trucks in different ways. its not everyone cup of tea but if that was the case we would all be driving white Camry's...

i've been rear ended twice both times in my explorer. my explorer was lifted 3 1/2" over stock with 31" tires. first time i was hit by a Yukon XL and because i was lifted my little explorer matched her 1/2ton bumper height perfectly. the second one(13 days later) was a '97 jeep TJ with a 2" lift and 33's again our bumpers matched perfectly. so lifting is not always a bad thing...had i not been lifted in the explorer i would have been pasted right in the hatch rather then dead on in the center of the bumper. the fact this explorer was lifted also saved my dad from much worse injury's when the truck was totaled hitting a school bus in pretty much a T-bone situation, different situation i know...

Old 11-18-2012, 07:13 PM
MDSuperDuty
Cargo Master
Received 49 Likes on 17 Posts

The town next to mine was handing out tickets like Halloween candy for draw bars in the receiver and no trailer. I was warned by my friend who works in the town I live in because I'm on the border of that other town. Says people where getting nabbed like crazy

Old 11-18-2012, 07:15 PM
acf6
Post Fiend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting... i may leave it in my tool box then. i also dont need $100 walking away

Quick Reply: Got rearended -- Pictures