1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Need help plumbing my truck with Mid-Fifties fuel line

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2012, 07:14 PM
South of BC
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Need help plumbing my truck with Mid-Fifties fuel line

My dad had converted the truck to propane back in the '70s and had not got around to re-plumbing the fuel line when I got the truck. So I purchased a new fuel line from Mid-Fifties along with the flexible hoses. The fuel line was in a box and manufactured by Vintique, Inc. It had bits of tape on it with directions to straighten out the line between the tape. Mid-Fifties famous %$&##@$!! instructions are only a re-print of the Master Parts Catalog illustration. Directions from the Shop Manual for fuel line is to remove the old line, bend a new one like the old one, then re-install the new one. I've included some pics of the fuel line I got from MF. Looking at the illustrations from the instructions, the flexible hose runs from the tank to the frame and attaches to the fuel line there. The hose I got doesn't even come close to reaching the frame, and the fuel line extends past the cab, in fact past the bed. The only way I can see to get the two to meet would be to bend the fuel line so it either goes up and over the frame, or try to bend it so it goes through the hole in the frame by the master cylinder. Either way the fuel line and the flex hose will meet under the cab/running board with nothing to support the connection.

Anyone plumb a '56 with the fuel and flex lines from MF that can give me some direction? Or does anyone have some pictures of their original fuel plumbing they can post so I can see how it is supposed to be?

Thanks in advance.

Attached Images