1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Firestone or Airlift Air Springs

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 11:28 PM
ggadwa
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Firestone or Airlift Air Springs

My new 2012 F350 4x4 Super Cab long box 6.7 Diesel should be delivered by mid week and I'm already planning upgrades.

Do the majority of users of air springs prefer Air Lift or Firestone systems? I want to make the right choices gaining from the experience of the users on this great forum. My truck will be hauling a 3300 lb Eagle Cap 950 Truck Camper most of the time.

GARY
My signature below will be changing in a couple days!!!!

Old 11-17-2012, 12:31 AM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
I'm a little biased but I'd recommend Air Lift. Haha. The kit for your application is one of our more popular kits, the 57396 LoadLifter 5000; Leaf Spring Leveling Kit. We are running our sale again on our air springs. You can learn more about this special from the link in my signature. Let me know if you have any questions at all by replying here or sending me a PM. Thanks for your interest in Air Lift!

Old 11-17-2012, 05:28 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
You will not have a problem with bags from either. They both make terrific systems. I would however suggest, if you are thinking about an air system, look at the Viair 10007 system. Very good system with a 100% duty cycle compressor with tank that can easily be put under your truck in about 4 hours. I did a write up in the 6.4 section https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-love-it.html and have loved it ever since. I have air anywhere and anytime I need it. Looking at doing the same to my Excursion.

Old 11-17-2012, 10:42 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,414 Likes on 1,009 Posts
Either one you cannot go wrong..you will need them. They have softened up the springs so much trying to please the groc getters.

Old 11-17-2012, 01:30 PM
ggadwa
Senior User
AirLift vs Firestone

Sure appreciate Sponsor Airlift guy speaking up on the current Air Lift rebate.
Now, I just had a fellow tell me I should look into TIMBREN overloads.....Hmmm the do look interesting very simple install and no fusing with Air pressures.

Anyone care to give me their thoughts on TIMBREN Suspension???

Thanks guys this Forum is awesome.

GARY

Old 11-17-2012, 04:05 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The air bags give you infinite adjustability. I have air bags on my F350 and wouldn't have it any other way.

Old 11-17-2012, 07:59 PM
pbeering
Elder User
Not sure what the mission is for your truck, but if it involves weight of any flavor, then buy one of the airbag systems. I have them on the fleet and consider them required mods along with Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizers.

Old 11-17-2012, 09:35 PM
Tom
Super Moderator
Received 671 Likes on 440 Posts
Originally Posted by ggadwa
Sure appreciate Sponsor Airlift guy speaking up on the current Air Lift rebate.
Now, I just had a fellow tell me I should look into TIMBREN overloads.....Hmmm the do look interesting very simple install and no fusing with Air pressures.

Anyone care to give me their thoughts on TIMBREN Suspension???

Thanks guys this Forum is awesome.

GARY
Hi Gary,

Anything that stiffens the suspension without any degree of adjustability is a compromise. Helper springs, Timbrens, RAS, and other products like this will help your truck support more weight at the varying expense of empty ride. None of them are capable of adjustment, so the added stiffness is always there. And while they all perform their mission in different ways, none of them can be adjusted easily like air bag systems.

I have an Air Lift system on my Excursion, and I've been very pleased with it. Everyone that's had the need to speak with their customer service reps always seems to have a good experience, and their products are all made in the USA and carry a lifetime guarantee. I used to drive commercial trucks and Firestone is a major brand in heavy duty air springs, and I'm confident that the quality of their kits is also first rate. Never have heard a negative thing about either of them, but with the continuous positive reviews of AirLift as well as their forum sponsorship I'm a bit baised towards the AirLift products.

Get whichever air bag system that you prefer; as long as you stick with these I'm confident that you won't be disappointed. Timbrens, helper springs, and the others just aren't much cheaper and will compromise your empty ride.

Old 11-18-2012, 06:35 PM
Firekite
Posting Guru
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Crazy001
I have an Air Lift system on my Excursion, and I've been very pleased with it. Everyone that's had the need to speak with their customer service reps always seems to have a good experience
I must be the exception. My Air Lift wireless controller (less than a year old) started freaking out about 2 weeks ago and displaying a revolving series of codes that are not accounted for in the manual (I think spelling "init" then "1204" then all possible lines and symbols on the controller showed, then started over again). I called customer service, and the young-sounding dude was impatient and unhelpful. He claimed he's seen it before but was unwilling to tell me what the problem might be or what conditions would lead to it. Even though the mainfold was maintaining my default empty pressure of 5 PSI like it normally does, and it never had a problem maintaining even high pressures, he said it might not be getting enough voltage, and I should check my work. I pointed this out, but he just said to try to pair it over again (didn't have to out of the box), even though I told him I had tried that but the controller wouldn't go into pairing mode. He said well you either try it or you uninstall the whole system and send it back to us and we'll see if we can fix it or not.

This was all while I was on the road heading to hook up a load. I asked him to please refresh me on the pairing procedure so I could try it when I got there, since I hadn't had to pair it out of the box, and he just said and said, "Really? Don't you have the manual? It's not that hard." I was furious, but I kept a level head, and I was never able to convince him to walk me through the steps. I finally just told him thank you and hung up before I started cussing him out over the phone.

Since then I haven't had to air them up for any heavy loads, and I haven't had the time and inclination to download the manual and crawl under the truck to follow the steps again just in case I can get the controller into pairing mode and it somehow "fixes" the problem that I still don't know what it was in the first place. And I really don't look forward to removing the system and paying to ship the stuff back to them until they get around to looking at it...

Old 11-18-2012, 09:32 PM
dualwheels66
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those remote systems are a waste of money.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:34 PM
Firefighter 1406
Lead Driver

Received 85 Likes on 58 Posts
I feel that the Firestone set-up offers a better built compressor. Just IMO. Have had both brands and prefer the Firestone bags. Either system will do you good.

Old 11-18-2012, 09:49 PM
AirLiftCompany
SPONSOR
Firekite, sorry you are having issues and had a bad experience over the phone. We pride ourselves on customer service so I'm surprised to hear that (I'll be sure to forward this thread to my manager). If you want to PM me, I'd be more than happy to walk you through anything that's in the manual and try to get it all figured out.

Old 11-19-2012, 06:38 PM
Fordfanatic4life
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
my truck came with a firestone system when i got it..

perfectly happy with how it all works.

the pressure safety valve electrical connector broke off at some point, so i now have to press the fallen down wire into the socket to make the compressor come to life, but shy of that the system has been perfect.

guess i really should replace that broken bit, but i dont really know were to get one tbh.

ps being able to adjust the air pressure from inside the cab of teh truck is a wicked feature.

Old 11-19-2012, 08:22 PM
calvynandhobbs
Junior User
I've got the Air Lift bags and have been very happy. I keep them at about 15lbs all the time to level out the rear. I only need the bags occassionally when I'm hauling my Jeep to go offroading or hauling wood for the house so I didn't opt for the automatic load level stuff.

Old 11-20-2012, 01:35 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Firefighter 1406
I feel that the Firestone set-up offers a better built compressor. Just IMO. Have had both brands and prefer the Firestone bags. Either system will do you good.
I like both sets of bags, will take either one, just had a better deal on Firestones at the time. However, I much prefer the Viair 10007 over any of the other air compressors.