80-86 F150 heater core, no a/c-how I did it.

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 03:36 PM
RadioFlyer84
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
80-86 F150 heater core, no a/c-how I did it.

I don't have a book and found limited instruction online about how this works, so I wanted to post my recent project.

There are two stages to this game, inside the cab and under the hood. I don't see that either needs to happen first. I started inside.

Before you start, make sure you have these sockets: 1/4, 5/16, 7/16. You will want a deep wall 7/16, and both extensions, 3 inch and 6 inch. Other than that, I had a Phillips and a flathead screwdriver. And a light. And maybe a 12'er of frosty adult beverages.

Inside the cab:

You have three primary nuts, on the passenger side, on the firewall. You'll probably end up doing the upside down Ford twist, or the lazy man slouch, or the mermaid endo; whatever you call it, your head will be where your feet ought to.

The three nuts you're looking for are on long studs coming through the 'wall. Two are vertically aligned and the third is off to the right of them; you'll see it first. the other two hold on the plastic that directs the heat flow. You'll see the bottom one. the top one is straight above it. With a deep wall and a 6 inch extension you should be able to get it off. If not, its only a few minutes to pull the dashpad and then you'll be staring that dirty hidden nut right in the face.

Under the hood:

Your primary targets here are two bolts, two hose clamps, two wire connectors and the hot/cold selector. We'll do the easy ones first. Done? Ok.

The bolts: they're to the left side of the blower motor; one high, one low. Start with the top left one. I had to have an assistant spin the ratchet while I put a wrench on the nut (which is inside, behind the kick panel vent assembly) but hopefully you don't have to cuz that's a PITA. They should have welded that nut on or used on of those spring nut clamp thingys. Yes, that's a technical term. Now, the bottom bolt is straight below that one. Let your fingers do the looking.

I pried the little spring washer off with a screwdriver, popped the wire off the post on top of the heater box, and unscrewed the stay holding the wire.

Now, pull the big black box off the firewall and crack a celebratory beverage. The hard part is done.

Grab your 5/16 (3/8?) and remove the excessive amount of little bolts holding the black box together, pull it off, and voila! There's your stupid dag-gone leaky piece of crap hidden heater core! (At least that's what I called it). I also found enough leaves to make a nice Thanksgiving table decoration. Here's my favorite part:

Installation is opposite of removal.

The end.

Old 10-08-2014, 02:35 PM
STL78custom
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Leaky heater core swap

Last winter it was clogged this winter its leaking in the damn cab. Hope by this weekend my new core arrives and ill be able to get it done. Just want to say i appreciate the how-to. And ill be referencing this post for sure. Thanks.