Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Rear end swap and u-joint questions

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2012, 08:33 AM
bdelmar2
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Rear end swap and u-joint questions

The semi floating 10.25 in my 88 f250 has a lot of play in it. Replacing the rear end is a lot more cost effective than rebuilding it.

I know where I can get a full floating 10.25 from a '97 f250 HD pretty reasonably. I understand that would be a direct bolt in for my truck since the HD's are the same. I haven't measured the pads yet, or checked for play in it, but I know the full floaters are pretty durable and it should have the longer pinion so I am hopeful it will be ok. Both rearends are 3.55, I have antilock, not sure if the full float does or not but I'm not overly concerned about that. I believe it has the springs with it, but don't know for a fact.

So, question #1, am I correct in assuming it will bolt in?

and #2, if it does bolt in, is it just a matter of figuring out which ujoint I need?

Couple of related questions:

I have the mazda 5 speed trans and the aluminum driveshaft. I am guessing the mazda would never have been paired with the full float rear?

I looked online at ujoints and there are a lot of options so I'm hoping I can find one that works, but failing that could I possibly switch caps and bearings from two ujoints to make one that does work?

If anybody knows the answers to my questions I would certainly appreciate the response. Thanks.

Old 11-16-2012, 04:40 PM
impish
Senior User
Originally Posted by bdelmar2
The semi floating 10.25 in my 88 f250 has a lot of play in it. Replacing the rear end is a lot more cost effective than rebuilding it.

I know where I can get a full floating 10.25 from a '97 f250 HD pretty reasonably. I understand that would be a direct bolt in for my truck since the HD's are the same. I haven't measured the pads yet, or checked for play in it, but I know the full floaters are pretty durable Frames may have been changed after '96, certain of changes in F-150, anyway. Does anyone know whether the F-250 lug pattern was changed to a metric sized bolt circle, as was the F-150? If it was, your '88 rims won't fit. The difference on the F-150 cannot be seen just by looking, it's only about 1/8". Try fitting one of your '88 rims on the '97 rear before buying it.

and it should have the longer pinion so I am hopeful it will be ok. Do not understand why the length of the pinion would not be the same on ALL 10.25 rears. You sure of that? If so, what about driveshaft length?

Both rearends are 3.55, I have antilock, not sure if the full float does or not but I'm not overly concerned about that. I believe it has the springs with it, but don't know for a fact.

So, question #1, am I correct in assuming it will bolt in? Sorry, I don't know that.

and #2, if it does bolt in, is it just a matter of figuring out which ujoint I need? Again, hub size and shaft length. U-joint fit can be made accordingly. Find out how the joint flange on your '88 compares with '97-- round flange bolt to round flange, or open end flange with U-bolts?

Couple of related questions:

I have the mazda 5 speed trans and the aluminum driveshaft. I am guessing the mazda would never have been paired with the full float rear?

I looked online at ujoints and there are a lot of options so I'm hoping I can find one that works, but failing that could I possibly switch caps and bearings from two ujoints to make one that does work?

If anybody knows the answers to my questions I would certainly appreciate the response. Thanks.
Not much help, sorry, but maybe save you some headaches....... impish

Old 11-16-2012, 07:25 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
When I swapped in a FF for the semi-floater in my F250, I had to use one of these 'conversion' u-joints for the axle end of the drive shaft. I've had no issues with it, I just went to a drive shaft shop, gave them the dimensions of the yoke on the FF axle and the dimensions of the stock u-joint, the guy came back in 2 minutes w/ the correct u-joint for me.

Old 11-17-2012, 04:47 AM
bdelmar2
Senior User
Impish, from what I can tell the f150s changed in the '97 production year, but the 250 & 350 HD's remained basically the same. I do not know this for a fact though, I have just picked it up from reading the forums here.

Also, when I go to carpart.com it lists the '97 250s and 350s when I search for my 88 and tell it I want a 3.55 with antilock. Carpart isn't an interchange by any means, but I have found it to be generally accurate in the past if you watch out for the misentered vehicles. Now that I think about it I can have the upullit run an interchange for me, wish I had thought of that a couple of days ago when I was there.

I can get whatever rims fit the rearend for nothing, or very little, but I will include if they fit or not if I get the rearend installed and update this.

Sorry, I should have said longer pinion gear. After reading a few references to this I hunted up a really good article on the differences between the years of the 10.25 sterling rearends and I believe in 93 or 94 they changed the internals of the rearends, and the rears from then til '97 are considered the best.

On the flange/yoke issue, I'm sure somebody will correct me if I'm wrong but I believe all the 10.25 sterlings are the ubolt type. I do know the 8.8 rears in 150s sometimes have a bolt on flange and sometimes the ubolt type. No clue why this is so, but I have seen both types.

firewood truck- thank you for the suggestion about a driveshaft shop. The one we used to go to around here has closed I believe. There is probably another one around somewhere. The good news is that you were able to find one that worked. I would rather not have to have a driveshaft made if I can avoid it.

I Thank you both for your input.

Now if I can just get the owner over to where the rearend is being stored so I can buy it.