1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Well, another OT question

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2012, 12:03 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,059 Likes on 804 Posts
Well, another OT question

A few months ago my flip phone died on me and for a few bucks more I got a Droid phone to replace it. At first I didn't think it would make much of a difference for work but now I spend more than half my on-line time on the phone.

The question I have what is the advantage of using a mobile version of a web site? When I call up FTE I have to pull menu down to get the desk top version. I don't like the mobile version of any web site I go to.

Are mobile versions less bandwidth? Do they load faster? I just find them scrabbled or not organized like the normal desk top versions.

I consider myself somewhat computer savvy. I can do pretty much HTML scripting for my web pages and I've been able to debug most problems I've had with the four computers in my family. I just don't get the reason for mobile versions of web sites.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:08 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
If you had a tablet the reason would be more obvious. I have to agree, for a regular palm-sized phone, I'd rather poke my eye out with a stick.

Old 11-15-2012, 12:55 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Quit trying to be a Hipster and get a Packard Bell 286

Old 11-15-2012, 01:04 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
Hey Dick, I'm finally coming into the 21st century with a Droid, Galaxy or I-Phone, whatever I have.

I resisted getting a phone like this because I didn't really think I'd need it. It's a business phone and I don't like spending money for the business unless I can see a return on it. I had the phone for one day and I already was surfing the net for information for parts for a job I was installing in a customer's plant. I didn't have to roam around looking for a computer, wasting time going back and forth. I use the net feature almost on a daily basis for work. I never would have thought I'd use it so much.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Bob, I have an android phone as well. You're not gonna like this. I can tell you exactly why you're having trouble downloading the "classic" version onto your phone. You're not a supporter, and the bandwith of downloading all those advertisements is killing you with that phone. The mobile version downloads faster, but I personally hate it, because you can't tell who posted what thread and a few other things. Every now and then, I get logged off FTE on my phone, and when it tries to load, the mountains of ads come with it. It's almost impossible to view with a mobile phone. If you're a supporter, all of that gets taken away, and it's a much cleaner view. If you need to magnify the screen, just touch it with 2 fingers and then pull those fingers apart. In my opinion, the membership is worth it, especially if you're trying to view FTE on a smartphone.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:30 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Doc, I get a really good picture if I request the desk top version. I can magnify posted pictures and even avatars so I can see them as good as on my PC. I just have to request the desk top version. It seems if I request the desk top version once when loading FTE I'll get it again most of the day but if I don't log on for an extended period of time the phone will revert to the mobile version. It's really not a big deal, I was just wondering why both versions are offered.

Old 11-15-2012, 01:56 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
Doc, I get a really good picture if I request the desk top version. I can magnify posted pictures and even avatars so I can see them as good as on my PC. I just have to request the desk top version. It seems if I request the desk top version once when loading FTE I'll get it again most of the day but if I don't log on for an extended period of time the phone will revert to the mobile version. It's really not a big deal, I was just wondering why both versions are offered.
I think it's pretty much standard that all types of forums offer the "regular" vs. the "mobile" view. The android phones (and I'm sure the iphones) are advanced enough that they're basically miniature computers now. As a result, a lot of people prefer the more advanced regular view. Bob, open your internet explorer on your phone, then click the left lower button at the bottom of your phone and go into settings. Then scroll down until you see the option to clear your cache. If you consistently click on "no" when it offers to open the mobile version, it will stop asking you that in a very short period of time and automatically load the traditional version. Edit: The explorer settings on your phone are under the "More" tab when you click on that left button.

Old 11-15-2012, 02:05 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Doc,

Thanks for the instructions. I did get a little book of instructions with the phone but like most men, I never read instructions. I tend to stumble around until I find solutions to my problems. I do however occationally read instructions when my stumbling around doesn't do it. Amazing how most instructions actually help!

Old 11-15-2012, 03:10 PM
4tl8ford
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If theyy are like most instructions nowdays
you go buttun free you press too time and wait one year the you go back 2 sqare one.

Old 11-15-2012, 04:03 PM
Mervy49
Posting Guru
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 4tl8ford
I had one of those at work about a hunnert years ago...lol. I was the first one in the building to get a computor and everyone thought is was just the cat's a$$.

Old 11-15-2012, 08:01 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by Mervy49
I had one of those at work about a hunnert years ago...lol. I was the first one in the building to get a computor and everyone thought is was just the cat's a$$.
How about these beauties

Attached Images   
Old 11-15-2012, 09:24 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Now we are talking my language! First computer HP 87 console proprietary CPU, 8086 emulation plug in card running CPM, 64K ram. First Winchester HD 5 MB 8" platter monster, 5" floppy drive., 9 pin dot matrix printer. Ran Dbase2 for my business. Heavily discounted off list mail order price just over 10K! Replaced it 4 years later with one of those PB 286 so I could run windows 2.0x and Corel Draw! 2.0 purchased at that new store: Sam's Wholesale Club, for 2K! Soon discovered the internet when low cost dial up ISP owned by the local newspaper entered the market here in the Research Triangle, home of IBM personal computers.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:41 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
I thought I'd resurrect this post because I'm having the same problem I had back in '12. I followed Doc's instructions and it worked and I had no problem until yesterday. I've cleared my cache and history numerous times and I still get the mobile version showing up, I then have to go and request the desk top version.

I am wondering if something was changed on this site, which seems to happen on a regular basis, IT guys just can't keep their fingers out of anything that is working. Also, is anyone else having this problem? I have a Droid phone if that makes any difference.

In the scheme of things this is a minor irritant but it still a PIA. I really don't like the mobile version, it so plain and as Doc mentioned, it hard to see who posted a post, I go by avatars along with the name.

Old 02-17-2014, 10:50 AM
truckdog62563
Marmon-Herrington Man
Received 262 Likes on 216 Posts
When Droids first came out Sandy and I both got them. Hated them, swapped for iPhones. Love them, and today I don't use the lap top, do everything from the phone. I occasionally get the lame reminder that FTE has its fantastic (not) mobile version. A couple quick "cancels" and it's back to the good pages. Stu

Old 02-17-2014, 11:09 AM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Originally Posted by truckdog62563
I occasionally get the lame reminder that FTE has its fantastic (not) mobile version. A couple quick "cancels" and it's back to the good pages. Stu
That's how it worked for me until yesterday, now I have to select the desktop version every time.

Quick Reply: Well, another OT question