Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2012, 04:40 PM
Junior User

coreymck is starting off with a positive reputation.
PCM FAILURE

He guys I made the big rookie mistake today I pulled my chip out while my truck was on and it shut down
Took the battery cables off an tried with and without chip still didn't bring up the wait to start light and I didn't here the fuel pump I found a used one that is a 422 is it ok to just swap it or do I have to flash the computer also could it be something else it's a 2000 7.3 f250 4x4
Old 11-14-2012, 05:52 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreymck View Post
He guys I made the big rookie mistake today I pulled my chip out while my truck was on and it shut down
Took the battery cables off an tried with and without chip still didn't bring up the wait to start light and I didn't here the fuel pump I found a used one that is a 422 is it ok to just swap it or do I have to flash the computer also could it be something else it's a 2000 7.3 f250 4x4
It's possible that you can simply take your existing PCM to the dealer and have it reflashed and it may work again.

What is the PCM code on your existing unit and what is the code on the used one you found? It will be 3 alpha characters and a number.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:23 PM
Junior User

Well I don't know the used ones # but the guy siad the only sting that matters is the dpc # witch is 422 on both units also I am correct this thing is fried right
Old 11-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Junior User

The truck was running when I pulled the chip out and it shut off instantaneously and the wait light wouldn't come on as well as I didn't here the fuel pump at all
Old 11-14-2012, 06:26 PM
Junior User

Also should I hook my scanner up to it to see I I got a code stored for the failure and if so should I clear it
Old 11-14-2012, 09:17 PM
Post Fiend

Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.Shake-N-Bake has a spectacular reputation.
It's likely that your engine will start and run with DPC-422 but you could have drivability issues and a bunch of weird codes. For instance, the programming is different between pickups and chassis cabs, auto or manual, 2WD or 4WD etc...

If then WTS light isnt coming on the PCM is not awake. I wouldn't say "fried" but certainly not healthy.

If your scanner connects then your PCM is most likely fine and you have some other issue.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:34 AM
Junior User

So the used one is a pcm pct2 I have a pct3 I heard that the pct1 is the best one for shift patterns but really don't know what the differences are between em all
Old 11-15-2012, 09:15 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by coreymck View Post
So the used one is a pcm pct2 I have a pct3 I heard that the pct1 is the best one for shift patterns but really don't know what the differences are between em all
I'm not sure either. Your tuner can probably give you more details about the differences between the various calibrations. There are over 400 different PCM calibrations that I am aware of....

That is why I was suggesting that you have your dealer or tuner reflash your existing PCM. It's likely that your chip was programmed for your particular PCM code so it's worth keeping things the same in my opinion....
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM
Junior User

Plugged it in and fired up no problems yet
Old 11-15-2012, 12:44 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty