Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2012, 03:48 PM
Freshman User

mudkicker715 is starting off with a positive reputation.
97 f150 dash warning lights stay on

Just recently now the dash warning lights stay on or come back on shortly there after when the key is removed. i replaced the ignition switch. i can even leave the wiring to it disconnected with the same result. wjen the positive battery cable is removed and reconnected i can hear relay or relays clicking. i pulled all one at a time next to the master cylinder in the two boxes. same result. i pulled all relays in the fuse box in the cab one at a time. no change.

maybe related about a month ago the hvac fan stayed on. we had to turn that to the off position to remedy that. than it "fixed" itself.

starting points to check on this 4.6 with 361k on the clock 99% original would be appreciated.

thanks in advance
Old 11-14-2012, 05:50 PM
Freshman User

Also just noticed the dome light stays on without my controling it.
Old 11-14-2012, 07:00 PM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
Probably yet another case of "Leaky windshield syndrome"
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 11-14-2012, 09:38 PM
Post Fiend

steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.steve(ill) has a good reputation on FTE.
yea, have you noticed the floor under the drivers feet being wet after a rain ? GEM is in the area under the dash / windshield. board gets wet and terminals corroded and cause funny problems.
2001 SuperCrew 4 x 4 5.4 XLT -235K miles -GONE
Old 11-15-2012, 06:18 AM
Freshman User

Nope seems dry.
Old 11-15-2012, 07:52 AM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve(ill) View Post
yea, have you noticed the floor under the drivers feet being wet after a rain ? GEM is in the area under the dash / windshield. board gets wet and terminals corroded and cause funny problems.
what is GEM
Old 11-15-2012, 01:23 PM
Freshman User

I heard the firewall mounted solenoid making a very slight hum. so i cleaned the contacts on it. it very possibly is oem. reconnected it. that stood there looking for what squirrell type problem that i have. than the starter tried to engage like someone tapped the key. wtf. i could not possibly have imagination like that to make that up. i tap and it starts it minor humming again. i turn the motor on starts fine. and the starter tries to engage while running. turn it off. i'm lost with this one. gotta wait for wifey to go get a solenoid. just to throw money at it.
Old 11-15-2012, 04:33 PM
Postmaster

Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.
That last post about the starter engaging by it'self indicates you have harness damage on the cable that goes to the igniton switch.
So it makes no difference when the wires go shorted to one another, it's the same as the ignition switch contacts closing.
The dash lamps are powered through the ignition switch as well as the start circuit.
At the present, there seem no shorts to ground or fuses would blow but there is shorts between leads.
Disconnect the battery until you find it or risk fire.
Good luck.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:03 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7 View Post
That last post about the starter engaging by it'self indicates you have harness damage on the cable that goes to the igniton switch.
So it makes no difference when the wires go shorted to one another, it's the same as the ignition switch contacts closing.
The dash lamps are powered through the ignition switch as well as the start circuit.
At the present, there seem no shorts to ground or fuses would blow but there is shorts between leads.
Disconnect the battery until you find it or risk fire.
Good luck.
So if give it nascar style starter switch would that solve anything than? Or am I missunderstanding? I am lost
Old 11-15-2012, 05:16 PM
Postmaster

Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.Bluegrass 7 has a good reputation on FTE.
No, you still have the dash issue in the same wire harness.
Find the harness problem.
Look for pinched wires or a rub through.
At the fire wall inside or out.
Follow the ignition switch harnes out to the engine bay.
It's somewhere along the way.
Old 11-15-2012, 05:26 PM
Freshman User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluegrass 7 View Post
No, you still have the dash issue in the same wire harness.
Find the harness problem.
Look for pinched wires or a rub through.
At the fire wall inside or out.
Follow the ignition switch harnes out to the engine bay.
It's somewhere along the way.
Iwill try a better look when I can it will be untill Monday than however. I did pull the wires from the fire wall outside I seen no corrosion. Was not able to get a solenoid either as it got late. Wifey is now telling it does get wet in the drivers footwell
Old 11-15-2012, 10:44 PM
Senior User

RebColonel is starting off with a positive reputation.
Probably GEM module like Steve said.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:52 PM
Postmaster

I would agree if the GEM got wet it can cause all sort of issues.
The cranking by it'self usually in not a function of the GEM but you never know what odd situation you might have.
Good luck.
Old 11-16-2012, 05:55 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to beholdprojectSHO89 is a splendid one to behold
Questions to consider to understand the symptoms.

Been raining much?

What direction does water tend to flow?

What is directly under the GEM module?

Where do the START and RUN circuits go to immediately from the ignition switch (see diagrams)?

Critter/vermin or other wiring damage would also be a small possibility, but LWS fits the overall set of provided symptoms.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 11-23-2012, 03:03 PM
Freshman User

I replaced the gem yesterday. No random trying to start, or any other of my nuiances. So the starter must also run thre the gem. I just threw the oem solenoid back on. So I only replaced the gem. It showed water on it when pulled. The day before all this began I took it through a car wash. Usuaully I wash it myself.

So where is this leak most common? I can see water on the inside bottom edge of the window. When the trim is reoved on the drivers side.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:03 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 1997 - 2003 F150