Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2012, 03:34 PM
Posting Guru

SnuffthePunkz is starting off with a positive reputation.
One time bio fill

Hey so little info about my truck. She is a 92 F-250 HD with a N/A IDI. Fresh injectors, new tank. IP starting to get a little tired, turned up a flat. Rebuild in the next 10k coming for it.

Well thanksgiving (Canadian) I deep fried a turkey which left me with approx 15L of canola oil. I know there is a lot to do if you want to run this long term.
I just want to know what I'm looking at in terms of what is required to pour it into my tanks and recoup a bit of money and not having it sit around any longer than it has to.
I've heard of the double jean leg filtering method. Will I be good with that or will I need to do more? Not looking to run this pure. Would be tossing it in, then filling the rest of the tank with diesel and diesel conditioner (truck runs leaps and bounds better with the ulsd crap we have up here).
Ole' Blue - 1992 F-250HD 7.3L IDI diesel, Ext. Cab, Long Box, Dana 50 & Ford Sterling 10.25 axles. Soup bowl delete, K&N Air Filter, Straight piped, 397,000+ Km's and still roaring like a cougar. Dreaming about a 7.3L Excursion...
Old 11-15-2012, 02:04 PM
Elder User

kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.
Your oil will have water in it from the frozen turkey as well as micro food particles that have water also. These must be removed. You can let it sit for a while, time and gravity will separate the water. You can speed up this process by heating the oil and letting it settle. Jeans legs won't be enough to save your fuel filter from being clogged. Then a new $12 fuel filter doesn't help you recoup any money from the oil ya know?

The veggie oil also will settle into the bottom of your fuel filter when you turn the engine off. And the next time you start it, you will be starting it on cold veg oil. Not good.

12 L is probably not going to kill your injectors, but you'd probably be better off giving the oil to someone who has a 2 tank setup and getting them to show you their system, so you can learn. Then the 12L is not wasted.

Or you can use it to kill weeds, to feed pigs or to keep the dust down on a gravel driveway.
2002 F-250 Super Cab, 295,000 miles, 95,000 on WVO; Greasecar conversion, 20 plate heat exchanger, AIH delete-water injection in its place, DIY stock fuel bowl delete, 6637 air filter w/ Pete's cover, Straight Piped, GPR LED mod, CAT ELC, 203* thermostat, Bosch auxiliary coolant pump, ext coolant filter, fumoto oil drain valve, Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauge, ISSPro trans temp, boost, EGT, elec fuel pressure gauges, Cyberdyne coolant, veg oil, ambient air temp gauges, 80W low beams/100W high beams. No major grease related problems.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:17 PM
Posting Guru

SnuffthePunkz is starting off with a positive reputation.
I actually don't know any other diesel owners locally let alone one who runs bio. Not a lot of love around where I live, took me almost 4 years to find a shop locally knew a damn thing about the idi, one shop spent an hour trying to plug it into a code reader when it was acting up and then tried to charge me for said hour when they did nothing to it at all. Basically learnt to do all my own work since then.
I'm better off storing it for Christmas then. I filtered it using the normal filter I use for filling my truck in bad weather/bush. It is a little thing that lets the fuel through but seperates the water and crap out. No idea what it is, it came with a funnel and works amazingly. The oil is looking nice and clean now.
Thanks for the info, will be getting into bio full time when I no longer live in an apartment and have some space to built a setup to do it.
Ole' Blue - 1992 F-250HD 7.3L IDI diesel, Ext. Cab, Long Box, Dana 50 & Ford Sterling 10.25 axles. Soup bowl delete, K&N Air Filter, Straight piped, 397,000+ Km's and still roaring like a cougar. Dreaming about a 7.3L Excursion...
Old 11-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Elder User

kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.
For future knowledge, water separater filters will get the free water out, but will do nothing for the water that is locked up in the oil (you can read about the physical properties of oil in other threads here) and in the micro-food particles.

Good luck!
2002 F-250 Super Cab, 295,000 miles, 95,000 on WVO; Greasecar conversion, 20 plate heat exchanger, AIH delete-water injection in its place, DIY stock fuel bowl delete, 6637 air filter w/ Pete's cover, Straight Piped, GPR LED mod, CAT ELC, 203* thermostat, Bosch auxiliary coolant pump, ext coolant filter, fumoto oil drain valve, Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauge, ISSPro trans temp, boost, EGT, elec fuel pressure gauges, Cyberdyne coolant, veg oil, ambient air temp gauges, 80W low beams/100W high beams. No major grease related problems.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM
Posting Guru

binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.binuya has a great reputation on FTE.
[quote=SnuffthePunkz;12488760]I actually don't know any other diesel owners locally let alone one who runs bio.quote]

Don't mean to be semantics police, but what you are referring to is SVO, (straight vegetable oil, which is not only a fuel, but a method), and not biodiesel. Biodiesel is veg oil which has been altered through the process of transesterification, which changes its viscosity closer to that of pump diesel, thereby not necessitating the modification of the vehicle. SVO on the other hand, properly done, requires modification of the vehicle.
Homebrew American Biodiesel (B100 Most of the time)
1995 Mercedes Benz E300D, 2006 Mercedes R350
Old 11-15-2012, 03:46 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels