Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2009+ F150 Discuss the 2009 through 2014 Ford F150 SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-14-2012, 01:50 PM
Junior User

moosesp is starting off with a positive reputation.
New TSB for the CAC on the Ecoboost confirmed!!!

My dealer confirmed today that there is a new TSB for the charge air cooler (intercooler) on the ecoboost motors for the problems they have been having with condensation buildup. I have had this problem myself and I am happy that ford has stepped up and has redesigened the intercooler.

Hopefully this is the final fix for the issue. From what the service manager has told me, they are replacing the intercooler with a redesigned unit that will eliminate condensation build up under certain conditions. (Driving at a constant speed for a long period of time under certain temperature and humitdity conditions). Hope this is the final fix.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Elder User

blueovelboy has a good reputation on FTE.blueovelboy has a good reputation on FTE.blueovelboy has a good reputation on FTE.
hope your right!
2012 F150 XLT 4X4 crew cab 5.0 with 3:55 lockable rear end
Old 11-14-2012, 11:27 PM
Posting Guru

PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.PrinceValium has a great reputation on FTE.
That sounds great! Hopefully any new truck being made will have the updated intercooler!

My Mod Thread 2013 F150 Platinum, Ego-Boost, 3.73, max tow, skid plates, and bed liner, 32% ceramic tinting.
Old 11-16-2012, 12:27 PM
Junior User

chambers is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by moosesp View Post
My dealer confirmed today that there is a new TSB for the charge air cooler (intercooler) on the ecoboost motors for the problems they have been having with condensation buildup. I have had this problem myself and I am happy that ford has stepped up and has redesigened the intercooler.

Hopefully this is the final fix for the issue. From what the service manager has told me, they are replacing the intercooler with a redesigned unit that will eliminate condensation build up under certain conditions. (Driving at a constant speed for a long period of time under certain temperature and humitdity conditions). Hope this is the final fix.
This is exactly the same issues the 6.4 owners have with the F250 diesels . Ford came out with a "redesigned" CAC, which was supposed to cure all problems. It didn't. I still have the problem after 5 yrs. and three CACs

2010 Lincoln MKT 3.5 ecoboost AWD GPS self park etc
Old 11-17-2012, 11:35 AM
Junior User

The New TSB number is 12-10-19 if anyone is interested.
Old 11-17-2012, 11:51 AM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambers View Post
This is exactly the same issues the 6.4 owners have with the F250 diesels . Ford came out with a "redesigned" CAC, which was supposed to cure all problems. It didn't. I still have the problem after 5 yrs. and three CACs
Sorry to here about your problems with the 6.4 liter diesel. There is a great article in the new Diesel Power about the problems and fixes for the 6.4 liter diesel. I thought you might be interested in it.

Have you had any issues with the 3.5 liter ecoboost in your Lincoln?
Old 11-17-2012, 12:14 PM
Junior User

chambers is starting off with a positive reputation.
Have you had any issues with the 3.5 liter ecoboost in your Lincoln?[/quote]

Absolutely no issues with the ecoboost in the Lincoln...tremendous power,good performance, decent mileage (23 mpg)
I will have a lookin the link you provided, see if they have any new info.Thanks

2010 Lincoln MKT 3.5 ecoboost AWD GPS self park etc
Old 11-18-2012, 11:51 AM
New User

Jpuff is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

I have a 2012 F150 Ecoboost and I seem you talking about this and I was wondering is there away I can tell if mine is the old or new CAC / TSB. I'm new to the Ecoboost and so far I'm loving this truck. I got 3100 miles on it. Also my father has the same truck. I want to know also so I can let him know about it. Thanks.
Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM
Junior User

wwest is starting off with a positive reputation.
Quote:

"..will eliminate condensation build up under certain conditions.."

A bit of double-speak...

That's the same factory line that was used for the shield/firmware update that quite clearly only worked UNDER CERTAIN CONDITIONS.

Plus the FACT that the CAC itself was not the real, bottom line, problem, EVER.

It was AlWAYS the pressure drop across the CAC, inlet to outlet, that resulted in condensation Under certain conditions.

The ONLY answer as I see it is to avoid, in simple cruise mode (N/A mode?), having the turboes already spun up to a level that results in that pressure drop across the CAC.
Old 11-20-2012, 07:02 PM
Junior User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chambers View Post
Have you had any issues with the 3.5 liter ecoboost in your Lincoln?
Quote:
Absolutely no issues with the ecoboost in the Lincoln...tremendous power,good performance, decent mileage (23 mpg)
I will have a lookin the link you provided, see if they have any new info.Thanks
The FWD or F/awd Lincoln is never expected to tow 3+ tons "smoothly" nor does it have RWD combined with the LIGHT ***-endedness of a PU.

There is a reason the SHO only comes with F/awd, restrict that level of torque to only the front wheels, turn off TC, and you're in for a WILD Ride. But I would expect that any FWD EcoBoost would have the engine automatically detuned in all of the lower gear ratios.

Can you actually turn off TC in the SHO?

I would bet not, or else the SHO engine gets severely derated/detuned with TC off.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM
Junior User

Quote:

My best guess would be that the new CAC has increased crossflow, flow volume, capability such that there is no pressure drop across the CAC as long as the intake airflow is not above the range required for simple cruise (no TOW) speeds up to ~75MPH.

No pressure drop, NO condensation.
Old 11-21-2012, 11:39 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2009+ F150