Nik's 97 350 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-2016, 06:02 PM
madMatador78
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
1988 Ford F350 Texas Limo

Is it bad this is something I'd consider buying and throwing a 12v in???? If it were a grey interior...it just might happen :-)

Ugh, that things gotta be a turd! It would pry kill every mosquito within 1000 miles.

I wouldn't be objected to a 12V swap. That's what it needs, is some power!

Old 02-02-2016, 06:48 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by madMatador78
Ugh, that things gotta be a turd! It would pry kill every mosquito within 1000 miles.

I wouldn't be objected to a 12V swap. That's what it needs, is some power!
I need something like that to haul the gf's kids around with... these 4 hr roads trips are killing me with them...and the fighting...

Atleast in that they could each have their own zip code!

Old 02-10-2016, 09:38 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Well almost finished up this weeks project. Bit of chassis work, tons of small issues, and low and behold it now has a nice set of 230/100s on s366 tight front to back now. Bumper , wheels and some 37s are going to make it look great! Super clean excursion! It was the one I wanted to buy my wife before i got here the ginger rocket...

I need to get in touch with Matt for tuning though, as its going to be pulling some weight a couple dozen weekends out of the year... I have yet to get Matt on the phone any time I have called them. It needs to be turned back quite a bit on fuel as the tuning itself gained 5000ft of altitude. Thought I'd post it up. I'm pretty excited to go drive it tonight! BTS or JW trans when this one goes... Has JW vb kit in it already, 6.0 cooler, but its just a matter of time!

Signature red pipe paint!

Old 02-10-2016, 12:44 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
An ex?!?! Cool beans! Very cool indeed. Need overall pics tho lol

Old 02-10-2016, 01:17 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Nice ex Nick!

Old 02-10-2016, 06:44 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by nossliw
Well almost finished up this weeks project. Bit of chassis work, tons of small issues, and low and behold it now has a nice set of 230/100s on s366 tight front to back now. Bumper , wheels and some 37s are going to make it look great! Super clean excursion! It was the one I wanted to buy my wife before i got here the ginger rocket...

I need to get in touch with Matt for tuning though, as its going to be pulling some weight a couple dozen weekends out of the year... I have yet to get Matt on the phone any time I have called them. It needs to be turned back quite a bit on fuel as the tuning itself gained 5000ft of altitude. Thought I'd post it up. I'm pretty excited to go drive it tonight! BTS or JW trans when this one goes... Has JW vb kit in it already, 6.0 cooler, but its just a matter of time!

Signature red pipe paint!

I agree with Aaron in needing more pics. Are you planning on just de tuning those injectors? Glenn had all kinds of EGT problems towing heavy with the 366 and big injectors. He stepped down to a stage one and it seems to be a real good combo for him.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:24 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 398 Likes on 269 Posts
Originally Posted by tshrager
I agree with Aaron in needing more pics. Are you planning on just de tuning those injectors? Glenn had all kinds of EGT problems towing heavy with the 366 and big injectors. He stepped down to a stage one and it seems to be a real good combo for him.
Or just step up the air. 369?!?!

Old 02-10-2016, 09:34 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by fordman67
Or just step up the air. 369?!?!
There is always that.

Old 02-10-2016, 09:37 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
I need someone to explain the differences in all the different s360's???

Old 02-11-2016, 06:57 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I need someone to explain the differences in all the different 360s's???

I second this....

Old 02-11-2016, 10:26 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Ok let me throw the brakes on here and slow down a little bit. Yes it’s a 2000 excursion. I am getting this one resolved for my friend. His wife avoided an Elk and totaled out their other one. He bought this and it needed quite a bit of work. The fellow who had it threw a ton of money into it.. an absolute chit ton… and then there was the big downer once I hooked up AE and we took it for a drive there was all of 7.8psi at the MAP sensor… drove worse than his stock truck in the power department. Sounded like an air hose under the hood when in the throttle.

Long story short it runs like a raped ape now in a stock tune now… 25-26 psi on AE at this altitude is the most I have ever seen in a stock tune out of a 7.3. Injector size doesn’t matter. Mine is a 20 on a stock tune with the mods below. I have not even turned the chip out of stock. I will let him blow the tranny up. I’m too scared to that at the moment  I will just say last night was a success in the test drive department.

I agree on injector size and EGTs. I had issues towing heavy with stage 1s and a heavily modded stock turbo and all the other crap you could do to it outside of a bigger turbo … the 366 solved that issue. Here we have a ton more fuel, I do not think a 369 would do squat of the 366 with this fuel. I wish there was a 4 series up top, he has already considered this option if tuning does not do the trick. He is not going to run outside of the stock tune when hauling his race rig. Mind you he had a bone stock EX with a billet wheel and said it did great for what he wanted. This thing is like a race car comparably. He is going to be working with Matt on the tuning next week while gone. I do know individuals who tow heavy with 230/80s or 230/100s…they do not tow with the truck cranked up and have little to no issues. Even in a 60 hp tow tune they will see a dramatic jump in EGTs and have to drive by the pedal.

This is the biggest fuel I have messed with to date. We will see how it goes…
On the flip side of all that, the project I spoke of a couple weeks ago was that totaled excursion. When I say totaled it’s far from. Needs some bodywork on one door and a mechanical day and my wife now has a lifted baby wagon with full leather and butt heaters. It’s a sharp looking truck. So that is the plan

PICS OF BOTH SOON

Old 02-11-2016, 10:28 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Basically, the bigger the last 2 numbers the bigger the turbo is. The first number is the series number and is liken to a frame size for an electric motor. A T3 turbo is one class or family, a T4 is another.... The last two numbers generally indicate the compressor size so a S366 is a T3 frame with a 66mm inducer. A S369 is a 69mm inducer. It doesn't seem like a big difference, but there is a big difference in the amount of air it can move.

Then there are all kinds of different variables, like whether it is a forged or fully machined billet wheel, aspect ratios of the exhaust housings, and all sorts of other stuff that makes it about as clear as pea soup. Best bet is to talk to someone who has experience with them or has a running, working setup and get their input on the performance. But it can also be like asking what kind of oil is best, you get all sorts of opinions....

Old 02-11-2016, 10:40 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
I need someone to explain the differences in all the different s360's???
Borg Warner S300SX 91S72 S366 S300SX-E 91S75 S369

Simply put, it flows more stock for stock next to a comparable 366...maybe 8% in total and you do not necessarily loose any on the spool side. Look at the curves, they will tell the story! :-)

Yes its a nice bump over the 366... might try one out on the new excursion!

Old 02-11-2016, 10:48 AM
lee00
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Basically, the bigger the last 2 numbers the bigger the turbo is. The first number is the series number and is liken to a frame size for an electric motor. A T3 turbo is one class or family, a T4 is another.... The last two numbers generally indicate the compressor size so a S366 is a T3 frame with a 66mm inducer. A S369 is a 69mm inducer. It doesn't seem like a big difference, but there is a big difference in the amount of air it can move.

Then there are all kinds of different variables, like whether it is a forged or fully machined billet wheel, aspect ratios of the exhaust housings, and all sorts of other stuff that makes it about as clear as pea soup. Best bet is to talk to someone who has experience with them or has a running, working setup and get their input on the performance. But it can also be like asking what kind of oil is best, you get all sorts of opinions....

Good info Nate.

When I first started my build...I may rename it to the never ending saga of insufficient funds...

I was trying to search how much air it flowed or what ever other tech specs may be out there... I really wasn't able to find anything which was a little disheartening!

I am used to computers where you can line them up side by side and see all the little difference from one to the next. I guess thats the accountant analysis side of me...

Old 02-11-2016, 10:51 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by lee00
Good info Nate.

When I first started my build...I may rename it to the never ending saga of insufficient funds...

I was trying to search how much air it flowed or what ever other tech specs may be out there... I really wasn't able to find anything which was a little disheartening!

I am used to computers where you can line them up side by side and see all the little difference from one to the next. I guess thats the accountant analysis side of me...
^^^ Flow gain and curves can be seen in the link provided above. You can go to BWs site and look at the curves i detail.

Side by side you would never know the difference between the two.... 3mm is a small bump in the inducer..

Quick Reply: Nik's 97 350 build thread