1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Nik's 97 350 build thread

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2014, 10:35 PM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
When I did my repaint of my are I did pull all the glass.mine just used a thin foan closed cell tape.I for the replacement stuff at Menard's of all places no biggie at all.and painted it my self.you have to have more of that beautiful blue!!! My absolute favorite color period!!!

Old 09-05-2014, 10:33 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
Looks great Nik! That looks a lot like the ARE caps that are made here locally. If you find that it is, indeed an ARE, let me know what you need and I'll see what I can track down. I wouldn't mind locating the replacement rubber strip that covers the screws that hold it together as mine has a few nicks and cuts in it. The one I have is the high top model, but it looks to be about the same window hardware and design.

This is a terrible picture as it was getting dark, but you get the idea.
Good to know. I think i will try to pull it off and paint it here before the weather gets cold. Worst comes to worst I can reuse the old gaskets, but they are pretty old and some are cracked. I could care less being a topper and all, but i have a feeling they are not going to go back in the same way they came out being so brittle. I sure would like to find a slider window for the front instead of a solid one. Is it possible to order individual parts direct from ARE? I honestly can't really find any badge on the topper for the make, but its built well for a fiberglass topper.

I also thought carpeting the inside may not be a bad idea. I was loading a scooter for a friend in it and rubbed my back on the ceiling to find out later that i had glass in my shirt... :-)
Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Is that Grand Lake Nick? Sure looks like it.
Nope, its actually pretty close, outside of Fraser southeast of Grandby Lake and Grand lake. If you ever get a wild hair when you are in CO, its about an 8 mile hike into Crater lake by Lone Eagle Peak...one of the neatest areas I have ever been in Colorado in a while and worth the short/easy trek. Good fishing too! All we ate for a couple days. Few crummy cell phone pics of the area, they don't do it justice, but i don't own a camera...

Old 09-05-2014, 10:42 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by fordman67
When I did my repaint of my are I did pull all the glass.mine just used a thin foan closed cell tape.I for the replacement stuff at Menard's of all places no biggie at all.and painted it my self.you have to have more of that beautiful blue!!! My absolute favorite color period!!!
Good to know. Yeah I'm thinking the blue might help hide that big azz dent in the bed :-) I actually will need to get a bit more mixed up to get it all painted...stuff isn't cheap! I hope to get it done before mid October when hunting season fires up!

I found that the seal strip they use on the bottom of garage doors is pretty slick for replacing the weather strip around the base of the shell to get a good water tight seal too. Mine was destroyed as it sat on the ground in a gravel based shop so there wasn't much left to seal.

I'll check out Menards and see if they have anything. Or even a local parts store might have window deals. My shell window seals look real similar to the seals that are used for your rear cab window, so I think ours differ a little. I noticed on the inside there appears to be bolts or small lag screws on the front window too... not sure if its a looks thing or if they actually have a purpose.

Shoot I'll have put 4 times the materials into this shell than what i paid for it... and I really don't need to do any of it if i wasn't so type A..

Old 09-06-2014, 06:37 AM
fordman67
Hotshot
Received 397 Likes on 268 Posts
I once bought a gallon of that blue...that was 6-7 yes ago..I'm still walking funny...

Old 09-08-2014, 07:15 AM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Nik, I don't think I can get the parts from ARE direct, but I happen to know a guy that works there now and they have a dealer fairly local to me that I can contact if need be. When I painted mine, I removed all the windows and replaced the weather stripping with some generic stuff that I had left over from an HVAC job I was on a while ago. I just cut it down the middle of the roll with a big utility knife. For around the base of the shell, I just use some more generic wide weatherstripping from the hardware store.

The stuff I need is the thin rubber strip that fits into the slot around the base that holds the aluminum base to the fiberglass.

Old 10-17-2014, 11:42 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
I am slowly putting together my e-fuel kit, I guess I kind of spaced it was necessary when doing a t4 and 366. I planned on fabbing my own kit up, but honestly do not have the time with all the projects going on right now, so I will be ordering a kit from Jake. I will only pick up the up pipe, oil lines, and pedestal, the rest I can easily fab. I’m sure I will have more questions on the e-fuel as I get there. I have found a few good threads and parts lists from others, but not so much on pictures of the install and associated parts going where. Ill keep digging.

I did notice after this last trip hauling the Buick up to MT I developed a bit more blow-by out of my CCV to atmosphere, not sure why, but I am not happy about it. When I say a bit, it doubled. I can take a short video if need be. Not much under the cap at all, just a lot more than I’d like to see coming out of the vent with only a 155k on it. Yes it was a hard haul considering all we took. Grossed out at 24,740. Just not happy about it and I’m wondering what changed, as I did not have the issue after the last big trip similar in gross weight but double the mileage.

Anyways, this is not 7.3 psd related, but my good friend has been working on this for 5 years and has about 4000 hours into it, took his time and did every last bit of detail on the rig. I helped a bit, but it was a good day to see this finally running strong and finished. Probably my favorite year of any truck ever produced…and luckily it’s a FORD.

Pic of the Buick Loaded up..

Old 10-17-2014, 01:06 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Great pictures, Nik! A couple of really good looking rides there, too.

In regard to the blow by, where are you at on your oil change interval? Some have reported that the blow by seems to get worse as you get close to needing fresh oil.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:10 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Great pictures, Nik! A couple of really good looking rides there, too.

In regard to the blow by, where are you at on your oil change interval? Some have reported that the blow by seems to get worse as you get close to needing fresh oil.
Well I'm only in about 2500 miles on T6 and an ELF 7405 filter, I actually changed it up in MT at 4900 miles. 4 gallons of 5/40 should and that filter even when ran pretty hard should last more than that. I usually change no later than 5000 miles on that setup. Too soon, I doubt it.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:13 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by nossliw
Well I'm only in about 2500 miles on T6 and an ELF 7405 filter, I actually changed it up in MT at 4900 miles. 4 gallons of 5/40 should and that filter even when ran pretty hard should last more than that. I usually change no later than 5000 miles on that setup. Too soon, I doubt it.
Yeah, it was worth a shot, lol. I swear some guys have said that certain types of oil seem to blow by more fumes too. Is there a chance that the weather is different enough that it could be affecting what you're seeing as well? It would serve to reason that the cooler and dryer it would be outside the more apparent the fumes would be.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:25 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Yeah, it was worth a shot, lol. I swear some guys have said that certain types of oil seem to blow by more fumes too. Is there a chance that the weather is different enough that it could be affecting what you're seeing as well? It would serve to reason that the cooler and dryer it would be outside the more apparent the fumes would be.
That is what I thought at first too. One thing I have held consistent was the type of oil I have used and filter for the last 40k. I can see more pressure coming out of the vent line. It was near 80 the other day and it still was the same. It actually seems to be less when cooler out, if that makes any sense, but that is probably due to my horrid vision.

It was substantial enough that even my uncle who rode with on the way up noticed it when we got home. It not bad and the truck is still running better than ever, but I was a bit miffed as I have never seen much out the CCV at all on this truck.

I have read many have used water for 100-250k, but I sure hope my injection system didn't cause it. I only used about 45 gallons over the 1900 mile trip, which is much less than previous trips where i used 2 to 3 times that, and there wasn't a change at all.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:31 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Why not pull an oil sample and send it to Blackstone and have them run it? They will be able to tell you whether the vapors you're seeing are from moisture in the oil (thinking that some of the water may have gotten past the rings somehow) or if the oil shows signs of excessive blowby. As tough as these engines are, I have a hard time believing it's hurt. An oil analysis would help tell the story.

Old 10-17-2014, 01:42 PM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Why not pull an oil sample and send it to Blackstone and have them run it? They will be able to tell you whether the vapors you're seeing are from moisture in the oil (thinking that some of the water may have gotten past the rings somehow) or if the oil shows signs of excessive blowby. As tough as these engines are, I have a hard time believing it's hurt. An oil analysis would help tell the story.
That was my exact plan to be honest. I doubt there would be moisture in the oil still. I could be wrong, but its seen about 1500 miles since the water was used last. I only use it when towing heavy. Either way the oil analysis will tell the truth. I would like to make a habit of doing this every oil change.

Speaking of water inj, I burnt out another effing boost switch from cooling mist. Hard wired to a toggle mid trip to make it back, and pulled the fuse when parking.. I need to find someone who makes a good switch as this will be my third switch since I put the kit on. At 40 bucks a pop I am pretty sick of it, 120 plus shipping on switches alone this year..

The positive side was I must have had a hell of a tail wind as we average around 10.2 mpg miles with the heavy load... The wind on the way back with an empty trailer was between 8.9 and 9.5. Wyoming wind

Old 10-17-2014, 02:54 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Be sure to post up the results from your EOA. I'm curious now too...

Old 10-17-2014, 10:41 PM
oldbird1965
Fleet Owner

Received 125 Likes on 103 Posts
Switch to Schaeffer's oil Nik, they give free sample kits. I just can't get comfortable with 5 weight.

Old 10-20-2014, 09:35 AM
nossliw
Cargo Master
Be sure to post up the results from your EOA. I'm curious now too...
I will.

Originally Posted by oldbird1965
Switch to Schaeffer's oil Nik, they give free sample kits. I just can't get comfortable with 5 weight.
I have only heard of that oil on this forum, never seen it in any stores out here in CO. Besides paying a butt load to ship it here, not sure else how to get it. Unless one of you guys want to haul a couple cases as your passing through CO

Quick Reply: Nik's 97 350 build thread