Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2012, 10:22 AM
Senior User

Biscayne is starting off with a positive reputation.
wheels compatability question

I have read numerous searches and think I have an understanding of what I am getting into. Let me run it by you guys and see what you think.

I have a 2000 F350 XLT Lariat 4x4 Diesel that the previous owner put 2006 F250 18" alloy oem wheels on it and wrapped the stock '06 wheels in 35" x 12.5" MT off road tires.

It rubs rediculous on the leaf springs and cannot utilize full turning radius lock to lock.

I want to restore the turning radius first and foremost and it will also require new rubber in the process as the Mickey thompsons are almost bald.

Here is my question. It seems as if from my searches on here that all is really required is 2" spacers from a quality vendor and the wheels will not rub. I couldn't really tell if the ballon effect of the tire was the major culprit of the rub or if the 35 inch rubber was the main problem or if the wheel being 18" would make any tire rub. he did say he added a kit to the leaf pack up front to level it.

Any suggestions on what might be the safest, most economical, best looking option out there?

2000 F-350 4WD CCSB, PHP 6 pos, 6637 intake, hutch/harpoon mod.
Mama's 2009 Expedition EL 4WD
2002 F-250 4WD Extended Cab --sold
2001 F-250 Crew Cab 2WD -- sold
2001 F-250 4WD Extended Cab--Sold
Old 11-13-2012, 10:45 AM
Junior User

JustinXTLR is starting off with a positive reputation.
I don't know if this is the route you wanna go but the offset of the wheel is something to look at. Spacers maybe your only option. I have the same problem with the 17inch wheels I put on my truck. I completely forgot to check the offset. I can do a lock to lock as long as I am not in four wheel drive. But you can see on my leafs also where the tires rub. So different wheels is my next buy once these tires are gone since I do not trust spacers. Just the thought of them scare me. And with the horror stories I've heard I won't run them.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:02 AM
New User

gpf42967 is starting off with a positive reputation.
I have the same issue and I'm running the stock 275/70/18's and I rub too. I looked into the spacers and to get the steel ones to provide max support your looking at at about $700. Our trucks are heavy and if you pull anything that's a lot of weight on the spacers. I would not trust them either. You can always find the stock wheels for pretty cheep on craigslist or For a few hundred more than the spacers you can by aftermarket wheels with the corre t backspace and sell your current wheels and get some of your $ back. My brother just got a set of 18's for about $250 apiece.
Old 11-15-2012, 10:33 AM
Posting Guru

BadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinXTLR View Post
I don't know if this is the route you wanna go but the offset of the wheel is something to look at. Spacers maybe your only option. I have the same problem with the 17inch wheels I put on my truck. I completely forgot to check the offset. I can do a lock to lock as long as I am not in four wheel drive. But you can see on my leafs also where the tires rub. So different wheels is my next buy once these tires are gone since I do not trust spacers. Just the thought of them scare me. And with the horror stories I've heard I won't run them.
A agree that I won't trust spacers !! It isn't just the spacer that is a concern but when using spacers it can lead to issues with lug bolts, lug nuts loosen up and I person feel that it can lead to other front end issues. I am a firm believer in having the correct offset on wheels for safety reasons and for the fact I have seen in the past that cars & trucks with incorrect wheels DO have more issues with front parts going bad quicker than ones with the correct wheels and offset. Just my 2cents.
Ed PAA#121 "It's a sick world and I am a happy guy"
E99 F350 Lariat CC DRW 215k: 4" MBRP,up&down pipes coated/wrapped, bellows, T500, Kuzz4R100, TruCool, CCV with catch can, 50cent, E99 turbo/1.0 w.g.turbine, T.M. wastegate, EBPV delete,470-ohm, hutch/harpoon, A/C shim, K&N, Smoked lights

'76 E350 DRW/26' Holiday Ramber 460 4bl C6 : Autometer gauges
Old 11-15-2012, 10:39 AM
Elder User

SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.SARDiverDan has a very good reputation on FTE.
Spend the money and buy some wheels that have a 4" or less back space and you will be good.
02 F250 4X4 7.3, PC 6 ˝ lift, Centerline wheels, PC 37x12.50R-17's, Warn PP HD Winch, Jotto Console, Scanner, Icom HAM radio, 91 Gal. Aux fuel cell, Diamondback HD bed cover, Warn Hubs, dual steering stab, Step2 Bed steps, Warn FF, AIS, 4" t/b exhaust with Aero turbine muffler, backup buddy lights, Mag-Hytec diff cover & tranny pan, SGII, 6.0 T Cooler, ELF7405 with oil By-Pass, IH bellowed ups, Gen 2 FRx, HPx, CCV Mod, CAT ELC, ez down t-gate, Fumoto drain, Rev/Cargo LEDs, 4 pillar gauge with ISSPRO, DP Tuner
Old 11-15-2012, 10:59 AM
Posting Guru

honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.honeydew has a very good reputation on FTE.
For the cost of quality spacers you could probably pick us some used wheels with the correct offset.
Old 11-15-2012, 11:59 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by honeydew View Post
For the cost of quality spacers you could probably pick us some used wheels with the correct offset.
Here's some NEW wheels:
18 inch Black Wheels Rims Ford F250 F350 Moto Metal 959 8 Lug 1999 2012 | eBay

Then, put the OE wheels on CL and you are waaaay ahead of the game!
Old 11-15-2012, 01:12 PM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
Is that $619 for one? Holy crap, no way in hell I would pay that.
PAA#128 / Rob-(02 F350 Crewcab 4x4 Longbed 7.3L) Banks Power Pack System w/tri-pilar gauges, Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks Intercooler, Banks 1.0 housing, Banks WW Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/Dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, OCR, 6.0 Cooler,DP-Tuned Wifes-(02 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L) Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks 6 Gun Programmer, Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, 6.0 Cooler
Old 11-15-2012, 01:19 PM
Elder User

VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robbragiel View Post
Is that $619 for one? Holy crap, no way in hell I would pay that.
That's a set of 4... not bad!

To the OP... I agree, do not trust the spacers, you are setting yourself up for disaster. I run a wheel with a -20 offset and run Dick Cepeks that are 35x13.50 with very minimal rubbing. Keep in mind though, as BadDogKuzz said, using wheels with a negative offset like that may lead to premature wear on ball joints and such.

Chris
B.E.S.T. map
2003 F-350... Stage I sticks, Dp F5, Phantom II gauges, 6637, Wicked Wheel, FrX, HPX, JW trans, T-500, Warn hubs, 4" exhaust with delete, CCV mod, Zoodad, OCR, 325/65/18 Dick Cepeks, Fox shocks (dual front),
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
Ok, that isnt bad at all for a set of 4.
PAA#128 / Rob-(02 F350 Crewcab 4x4 Longbed 7.3L) Banks Power Pack System w/tri-pilar gauges, Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks Intercooler, Banks 1.0 housing, Banks WW Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/Dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, OCR, 6.0 Cooler,DP-Tuned Wifes-(02 Excursion Limited 4x4 7.3L) Banks Power Elbow, Banks Turbo Back Exhaust, Banks 6 Gun Programmer, Zoo-dad, HPx, FRx, CCV, AFE 6637, Hutch & Harpoon w/dieselsite Fuel Filter, Trans, Oil, Coolant Bypass Filter, Billet Stat Housing, 6.0 Cooler
Old 11-15-2012, 01:24 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel