Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-13-2012, 07:14 AM
Junior User

Mark Alligood is starting off with a positive reputation.
Mark Alligood
WTF!!!

Ok guys, here is another one for you. I was on my way to work this morning (all of 3 blocks) and as I was accelerating I heard a loud pop almost like a back fire and I lost some power. It didn't die it just wouldn't accelerate like it normally does. It also started blowing black smoke which it normally never does on the tune I keep it set on. There was very little power. Here are all of the recent circumstances. I filled it yesterday with about 24 gallons and added some power service in with it. It's a balmy 21 degrees this morning and I had let the truck run for about 10 minutes before I left. I haven't had any issues with it in a long while. The truck is a 99 F-350 CC LB 4X4 with a 7.3. There is a chip installed and I believe it is a TS. It was in there before I got it and the guy wasn't sure. I have this creeping dread that something just happened to my turbo but I am praying that it is something else that isn't gonna be expensive to fix. I haven't had a chance to look under the hood yet but I looked underneath as I was heading inside and I didn't see anything dripping.
Old 11-13-2012, 07:20 AM
you can't fix stupid!

indyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to beholdindyF-350psd is a splendid one to behold
you popped a boot off.....no harm other than the little mess in your underwear.....we've all done it.....
Old 11-13-2012, 07:31 AM
Posting Guru

joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.joeyd61 has a great reputation on FTE.
do you have a EGT guage?? if so,if you blew a boot,your egts will be high..
off the cuff--X2 on blowing a boot..
2003 F250 LARIAT 7.3PSD,RHN Member,Fresh Forged Rod Motor,BTS trans,6.0 Trans cooler,DP F6 LIVE TUNED ,FF 300/200 Hybrid injectors,Snow Tow Max water/meth,Hi V/F IDM,BW S468 Turbo w/T4 mount,Terminator DUAL HPOP,AFE Stage 2 XP Pro 5R Intake,ISSPRO ev2 Guages,AirDog 150 w/sump,Walbro fuel pump,SD Regulated Return,XRF front end,Red Head steering box,4.56 Yukon gears,6" BDS lift,37" Toyo tires,Armed with Infinity,& on&on&on
Old 11-13-2012, 07:35 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Mine sounded like a shotgun going off under the hood when I blew my boot off. Mine was the first boot off the spider on the drivers side.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 11-13-2012, 08:41 AM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
Boot... either your clamps are tired or your boots are. I went all-out... but I'm not saying you should follow my lead-off with a Buck$Zooka.

Click the image to open in full size.

Old 11-13-2012, 08:44 AM
Posting Guru

BadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by indyF-350psd View Post
you popped a boot off.....no harm other than the little mess in your underwear.....we've all done it.....
Well I haven't had it happen to me yet but I am sure when it does happen I will need to change my underwear !
Ed PAA#121 "It's a sick world but I am a happy guy"
E99 F350 Lariat CC DRW 215k: 4" MBRP,up&down pipes coated/wrapped, bellows, T500, Kuzz4R100, TruCool, CCV with catch can, 50cent, E99 turbo/1.0 w.g.turbine, T.M. wastegate, EBPV delete,470-ohm, hutch/harpoon, A/C shim, K&N, Smoked lights

'76 E350 DRW/26' Holiday Ramber 460 4bl C6 : Autometer gauges
Old 11-13-2012, 08:52 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
X4 on the boot.

Be sure to thoroughly clean/degrease the boot and CAC tube/spider before re-installing, or you'll dirty another pair of undies the first time ya make some boost (and have to install it again)... I like to use purple power/simple green then rinse with brake clean and wipe it down prior to install. You need all the mating surfaces 'squeeky clean'. If you use brake clean, make sure you avoid getting it inside CAC tubes, etc - or you may wreck more than your britches when the GP's ignite it inside the combustion chambers!
Old 11-13-2012, 08:55 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Its also a good idea to build a boost leak detector and check everything for leaks 'while you're in there'.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:19 AM
Louisiana Chapter LDR

fordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud offordpride has much to be proud of
After you clean the boot out spray it with hairspray to help hold the boot on
Lots of parts to come
97 F250 totaled 11/19/12
Louisiana FTE Member Map
Old 11-13-2012, 11:38 AM
Posting Guru

clem1226 is a name known to allclem1226 is a name known to allclem1226 is a name known to allclem1226 is a name known to allclem1226 is a name known to allclem1226 is a name known to all
X4...or is it X5 on the boot blowing off.

at 21* stuff will be shrinking and allowing just enough loss of tension for the boot to blow off espically if the last time anything was touched in that system it was muey caliente outside.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:03 PM
Elder User

VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.
Did anyone say "blew a boot yet"???

Mine sounded like a shotgun going off under the hood as well. Filled the freeway with a thundercloud of black smoke and power fell off like I was hooked up to a boat anchor. Clean her up real good and re-install the boots nice and snug, if you can swing the cash, look at RDP's boot kit, very nice! Riffraff Diesel: RDP Complete CAC Intercooler Boot Kit

Goodluck!

Chris
B.E.S.T. map
2003 F-350... Stage I sticks, Dp F5, Phantom II gauges, 6637, Wicked Wheel, FrX, HPX, JW trans, T-500, Warn hubs, 4" exhaust with delete, CCV mod, Zoodad, OCR, 325/65/18 Dick Cepeks, Fox shocks (dual front),
Old 11-13-2012, 12:19 PM
Junior User

Mark Alligood
So I took a quick glance under the hood and all of the boots looked like they were still in place. Of course it was quick because I'm at work and I didn't want the boss to catch me I'm going to take a better look as soon as I get done eating. Is it possible to have split the boot where I couldn't easily see it? I had them all off not long ago when I replaced an injector and I cleaned the hell out of them because they were pretty nasty. I am thinking I am gonna get the Riff Raff boots if one is split. So now for a couple of questions. You guys have thrown out a couple of terms that I'm not familiar with. CAC tube and spider and how do I build a leak detector? It definitely sounded like a shotgun when it happened (great comparison btw) and without a doubt I crapped myself when it happened. I immediately looked in my mirror to see if there was any smoke or debris bouncing down the road behind all I saw was a giant cloud of black smoke obscuring the road. I'm glad there wasn't anyone behind me. Thanks again guys and I will let you know what I find.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:28 PM
Elder User

VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.VegasFordSD has a great reputation on FTE.
CAC tube is Charge Air Cooler... or intercooler, some people call them IC pipes as well. the spider is the piece that is shaped like an "X" (painted black in the picture below), the IC pipes (CAC tubes) hook to this. There are also 2 boots on the bottom of the spider that hook up to the plenums. It is possible that you split a boot too. Give everything a good look over and let us know what you find.

Chris
B.E.S.T. map
2003 F-350... Stage I sticks, Dp F5, Phantom II gauges, 6637, Wicked Wheel, FrX, HPX, JW trans, T-500, Warn hubs, 4" exhaust with delete, CCV mod, Zoodad, OCR, 325/65/18 Dick Cepeks, Fox shocks (dual front),
Old 11-13-2012, 12:30 PM
Junior User

Mark Alligood
So I just checked and I blew the passenger side boot down at the intercooler. WHEW!!! I will pull it into the fire station tonight after our work day and pull them all off and clean them. I'm thinking it's time to re-route that damn ccv. Once again I bow before the mighty psd gods...you guys are awesome.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 PM
I'm a cautionary tale

Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.Tugly has a spectacular reputation.
The first picture in my post was with the 5-legged spider missing, but you can see it in the second one. The boots below are harder to spot with all that stuff in there, but don't forget to look at the boots on the intercooler by the radiator. CAC - I dunno... Compressed Air Conduit?
Old 11-13-2012, 12:36 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel