1994.5 - 1997 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel  

Missing bad and lost power

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:59 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Missing bad and lost power

This is about my '97. I haven't done anything to try to trouble shoot this yet, been trying to get Tyler's truck going, but here's what it did. We went to pick Tyler's driveshafts up at the driveline shop this afternoon. It's about a 20 mile or so drive. About five miles from the place, on the four lane running about 65, my truck started to miss real bad, shaking the whole truck. It lost power and I had to drop a gear to pull a small hill. Turned off the four lane and on to the road to the shop and limped it the rest of the way there. I stayed in the truck and let it idle long enough for Tyler to go in and pay and get the driveshafts, about 10 minutes or so, never shut it off. We left from there and the truck seemed to run fine until about three miles or so from home. It didn't miss and carry on like it did the first time, but was feeling like it wanted to. Now, keep in mind I have had a rough, surging idle issue for a while now, and for the last few weeks, I'm getting a little vibration around 1600-1700 rpm. I did injector o-rings and UVCHs the end of May or first of June. New CPS from International a couple weeks ago. What are you guys thoughts.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:07 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with your earlier speculation that it sounds to be IPR related. Does that Edge programmer that Tyler has pull live data? I think if it does I would scan for codes and see with your ICP is running when it is acting funny like that (or when idling, if it is still idling rough).

I'd look at the Valve cover connectors too just for gits and shiggles...

Old 11-12-2012, 08:20 PM
tshrager
Lead Driver
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I agree with Nate. See if it starts when cold. If so, tell tale sign of ipr o rings.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:26 PM
427 fordman
Hotshot
Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts
Sounds like uvch, but you said they are new. I'd check to be sure like Nate said.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:29 PM
Ford4Life7.3
Posting Guru

Bill, i just solved this issue today. Ive had rough idle, surging also for a while now. Yesterday, i turned onto my road and it started missing, like i had an entire bank out. Pulled over, and it proceeded to idle at about 4-5 hundred and then up and died. Started it and it ran fine till i got home. Turned it off and back on and i had a bad loping idle. Checked the ICP and there was oil in the plug and coming from around the plug where it goes into the motor. Got one from Ford for 193 bucks, and it solved the issue.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:30 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by DIYMechanic
I agree with your earlier speculation that it sounds to be IPR related. Does that Edge programmer that Tyler has pull live data? I think if it does I would scan for codes and see with your ICP is running when it is acting funny like that (or when idling, if it is still idling rough).

I'd look at the Valve cover connectors too just for gits and shiggles...
I think the Edge will look at live ICP Nate. I haven't messed with it at all. Tyler used it to pull the code from his green truck this evening. I'll try it tomorrow.

Originally Posted by tshrager
I agree with Nate. See if it starts when cold. If so, tell tale sign of ipr o rings.
It starts and runs great when it's cold Todd. Today is the first time it has missed and lost power like that. If I go to the trouble of pulling the IPR, I think I'm gonna replace it with a new one.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:40 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
How old is your CPS, Bill? That's always a possibility too. Might be an easy thing to try to swap it out if you have another known good one to try.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:41 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by Ford4Life7.3
Bill, i just solved this issue today. Ive had rough idle, surging also for a while now. Yesterday, i turned onto my road and it started missing, like i had an entire bank out. Pulled over, and it proceeded to idle at about 4-5 hundred and then up and died. Started it and it ran fine till i got home. Turned it off and back on and i had a bad loping idle. Checked the ICP and there was oil in the plug and coming from around the plug where it goes into the motor. Got one from Ford for 193 bucks, and it solved the issue.
Sounds like mine Rob, but mine didn't die, it kept idling. I checked the ICP a while back and there was no oil. I even took one from one of the other trucks, but no change. That may not have been good either though. I've been trying to save up enough to order a new IPR and ICP from Clay. Might be sooner than I had hoped LOL!!

Originally Posted by 427 fordman
Sounds like uvch, but you said they are new. I'd check to be sure like Nate said.
I will definitely check those tomorrow too Darin. I never let "new" rule out "bad" LOL!! I've seen a ton of new bad parts over the years!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:42 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Originally Posted by Ford4Life7.3
I wish I would have known you needed one. I have 3 or 4 of them I could have sold you for less than half that.... One of them is still in the Motorcraft package too.... Oh well, I guess you probably would have needed it quicker than I could have gotten it to you too. At least it was something simple.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
How old is your CPS, Bill? That's always a possibility too. Might be an easy thing to try to swap it out if you have another known good one to try.
I just bought two new ones from International a few weeks ago and put one in then Nate.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Sure sounds like UVCH

Old 11-12-2012, 08:44 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
I wish I would have known you needed one. I have 3 or 4 of them I could have sold you for less than half that.... One of them is still in the Motorcraft package too.... Oh well, I guess you probably would have needed it quicker than I could have gotten it to you too. At least it was something simple.
I'll take the one in the package Nate! How much?

Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 PM
DIYMechanic
Post Fiend
Sounds like IPR or UVCWH issues to me then. I would try and use the Edge to see if you can read ICP or not. That would be an easy place to start.

I'm sure we can work something out for an ICP if you're serious.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:50 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
Originally Posted by fordpride
Sure sounds like UVCH
When I replaced them, I bought them from Napa, so I'm gonna give them a good going over tomorrow. We've been all evening trying to get Tyler's truck fixed, and I haven't even raised the hood on mine. I just hope it gets me to work tomorrow! LOL!! Wife's car is still in the body shop from the deer.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:55 PM
ReBilld
Hotshot
What should ICP be?

Quick Reply: Missing bad and lost power