Thoughts on this wvo setup

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2014, 09:15 PM
Christof13T
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Heck Jason...
A couple of highly motivated wrench wranglers aut' to have that knocked out in about a month easy...

Old 07-01-2014, 06:05 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
Received 1,895 Likes on 1,145 Posts
Since that pic was taken I have built a few trucks!

They start like this:

Some get veggie conversions:

This was a Vegistroke install:

I built this CC 'SHORT' bed for a customer because CCSB didn't fit in his garage. Its getting a custom flatbed now:

This chassis got a custom Excursion tank installed for veggie:

Here is a 'SkySkiJason' custom veggie system:

I should finish this truck today! No veggie system, but....:

Old 07-01-2014, 06:08 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
This is the 'SSJ' system more complete than last pic:

This is what I recommend for you - but with PSD pump and external FPR!

Old 11-23-2014, 12:46 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SkySkiJason
Is the idea to save money? Like I said in email, a DIY 2-tank conversion can be done pretty inexpensively. This is a 'proven recipe' with millions of successful miles on it now. Statistically, those with issues/problems doing what you propose are exponentially higher than the success rate. Yes, the Vegistroke system is the cream of the crop - but there are other ways to skin the cat if you have some fab skills and patience. Using the 'test ports' on the opposite end of the fuel rail from OE fuel supply to supply VO is CLEAN and relatively easy. You will add check valves (CV's) to the end of the factory fuel lines at the heads - this will prevent VO from entering the OE fuel system and is the only mod to OE fuel system. The VO system will be totally redundant - providing you a way to get home if you have a problem with either fuel system! VO will leave a separate tank, ideally with a heated pick-up, and travel through heated fuel lines (TIH) to a pre-filter and a stock PSD pump ($40) located under cab. Then to a fuel pressure regulator (~$150). The 'return' line from FPR will run through TIH back to just before VO tank. Tee the return into the suction line instead of dumping the fuel back into the tank. This will create a 'loop' for the fuel to travel that reduces strain on the pump and HEATS the fuel very well. The 'pressure' side of FPR will then go to a filter head (~$15) where you'll use a spin-on fuel filter. I use a WIX 24006 filter (~$9). After filter, there will be a CV - this one prevents diesel from going to the VO tank when running on that expensive stuff. Following this CV is a tee. One side of this tee goes up to the engine and the other side has a normally-closed 12v solenoid valve. This 'purge valve' allows diesel to flush the VO out of the heads and bypass the VO-side CV, etc - sending the VO (and a little diesel) back to the VO tank. Tube-in-hose (TIH) fuel lines use coolant to heat the fuel by placing 3/8" aluminum tubing inside 3/4" heater hose. The tubing costs about $1/ft, heater hose about $1.25/ft and the 'ends' can be made for about $6/ea using 1/2" black iron tee's and nipples. You switch fuels by turning the pumps on/off. It takes about 2 miles for me to get up to temp and switch to VO - then I burn straight VO as long as I wanna drive that day. The 'purge' at the end of the day takes about 20secs and puts a quart or so of diesel into the VO tank. I have gone as far as 10,000 miles on a single tank of diesel. I can likely burn VO in colder temps than I could diesel (if I could get the engine started/warmed up). I have burned straight VO in -5*F with no problem. There's a few more bits and pieces I recommend, but this is the meat and potatoes of my F350's conversion. I have 170k miles on the high cholesterol diet in this truck now and have yet to have the first fuel-related problem.

Jason:

What are the pros and cons of teeing return in front of pump?

I could see that doing this saves a bunch of hose going to tank but you forgo the 'cleaning loop' where wvo recirculates constantly from tank through filter.

Anything else?

Old 12-26-2014, 07:03 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
Originally Posted by sean23johnson
Now this is something I wondered about from day one. Everyone seems to build a completely separate fuel system for their wvo setup. But is that really needed?Why can't I just tap into the existing fuel system and run my wvo thought it?

So here is my plan, i want to use two 3 way solenoids and plumb them into the factory feed and return lines right before the factory fuel pump. Obviously I will be running a hotfox or something like that to preheat the oil. That's really about it.

The reason I was thinking this route is because I don't really need to run wvo for my daily commute. I only travel 22mi round trip for work 4 days a week. I really want the wvo for longer trips up to the mountains and for going 4wheeling.

Thoughts??

Sure you can. It's called a 'greesecar-type' conversion.
What most people choose for 7.3 is the 'vegistroke-type' conversion since 2 spare fuel rail fitting are magically provided from the factory.

Old 12-26-2014, 07:06 PM
M-S-G
Senior User
Originally Posted by M-S-G
Jason:

What are the pros and cons of teeing return in front of pump?

I could see that doing this saves a bunch of hose going to tank but you forgo the 'cleaning loop' where wvo recirculates constantly from tank through filter.

Anything else?
(I have educated myself on this and am answering my own question haha)
Recirculation...meh.

The reason you want the return back into tank is because you NEED the air out of the system. Especially after filter change.

What I mean by 'need' is some trucks take 50-75 MILES to purge the deadhead from air. During that time truck runs like crap and you put increased strain on injectors and (I don't know what else but suffice to say air in fuel is BAD).

Old 12-28-2014, 11:07 AM
SkySkiJason
Hotshot
I do not 'return to tank' - my VO systems use a looped return from the FPR back to just before tank. The fuel is cycled thru the prefilter, but this 240mic strainer isn't hurting anything. The primary filter is after the FPR and filtered fuel goes to the heads (deadheaded like stock).

I purge in 15-20 seconds and 70 seconds of 'run time'. I have a valve that bypasses the VO check valve (and filter, pump, etc) and allows diesel to flush thru the heads and return to VO tank. After 20 secs, there is no VO in the fuel rails, but we need a minute or do at idle to consume the fuel in the injectors themselves. This valve also allows air to return to tank after filter changes etc

Only people sharing diesel filter with VO have stupid long purge times (and still don't get it all out).

Old 01-16-2015, 01:43 PM
Todd T
New User
After well over 200,000 miles of running a two tank system as well as bio and blend, I'm going to the regulated return. I deleted my fuel bowl years ago and will use a Fuelab fuel pressure regulator and 3-port solenoid valves.

I have a FASS system for my diesel side and a separate FASS gerotor pump for the Veggie side.

Regarding the return lines, I'm a believer in filtering the fuel over and over. Filters are rated at a certain micron but unless they are "absolute" filters, they let a few particles above the listed micron rating. By continually circulating the fuel through the filters, we in essence polish it to a higher and higher purity.