6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Diesel Site Coolant Filter

Old 11-11-2012, 07:07 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Diesel Site Coolant Filter

Spent my day doing a coolant drain and three flushes. Replaced the coolant and added a Diesel Site Coolant filter. Nice equipment and an easy install except 1. their instruction sheet is wrong as pertains to the return hose to the degas tank. They show a tee into a hose on top of the radiator which runs into the top inlet on the degas tank. Of course we all know that right after the truck came out that routing was changed and the top inlet was capped. So, I called to make sure and their 6.4L expert said "oh yeah just run the return hose from the filter into the top inlet on the degas tank". 2. And of course they didn't include enough hose to reach from the mounting spot they suggest (frame on passengers side) to the upper inlet on the degas. So, off to the parts store for 16 feet of hose at $2.30 per foot. Could have gotten by with 15 feet, or could have used 7 feet and a connector to the hose supplied with the kit but I was afraid the connector would hamper the flow. I routed the hose along the back of the firewall and used some zip ties to hold it there. Looks OK and seems to be working. I'll let y'all know in 3 months or so.

Old 11-11-2012, 07:15 PM
slowmans
Cargo Master
Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
I have the same kit, its been on for 2.5 years and it works great, I had one on my 6.0 and it worked great too. I think that the ammount of hose they give you should be longer, I barely had enough.

Old 11-12-2012, 03:50 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Take any pics while doing the install Stanley??

Old 11-12-2012, 06:42 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by golfmedik
Take any pics while doing the install Stanley??
No, but I can get some. After golf.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:54 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
No, but I can get some. After golf.
What a hard life!!!!!

Old 11-12-2012, 02:27 PM
Jennifer at DS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm very sorry that you had trouble with your install!

The picture on our instructions was on a truck before Ford did a TSB on the trucks. If you've had the TSB done, simply run the coolant filter to the upper connection. As for the length of hose, our instructions actually say to mount on the passenger side, not the driver's side, which is probably why you were so short on hose.

We put our number on every invoice for our customers during install and we have 24 tech support. Always remember you can call any time for help if you need it.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:17 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Jennifer at DS
I'm very sorry that you had trouble with your install!

The picture on our instructions was on a truck before Ford did a TSB on the trucks. If you've had the TSB done, simply run the coolant filter to the upper connection. As for the length of hose, our instructions actually say to mount on the passenger side, not the driver's side, which is probably why you were so short on hose.

We put our number on every invoice for our customers during install and we have 24 tech support. Always remember you can call any time for help if you need it.
Ahhhh, are you saying it is shorter from the passenger side frame to tne degas tank than it is from the driver side to the degas tank. Jennifer you might want to ask your boss about that. Besides, I followed the directions and mounted it on the passenger side.

I did not have trouble with the install. I just had to improvise and overcome. I wasn't complaining about your product just sharing some info. But, since you have seen fit to get on my post and blame the customer, which by the way is a very poor sales technique, I will take the trouble to point out that there is another thread on this forum discussing the shortness of the hose. On that thread someone from Diesel site accepted that the customer was right (what a novel old fashioned idea huh???) and stated that the newer kits would have more hose. Do they? Additionally, I would point out that the TSB was issued about 4 years ago, isn't that long enough to take a picture and change a line in the directions and TO ADD ENOUGH HOSE TO DO THE JOB? just wondering.

Your kit had just enough hose to install the filter as the instructions specified. To connect to a tee installed just over the center of the radiator. However, because the TSB changed the situation and y'all did not change your instructions or your product I was screwed either way. Had I installed on the drivers side frame I would have needed a longer hose for the input from the heater hose to the filter and still would not have had enough to complete the shorter output connection.

I had your number, I called your teckkie, HE knew what he was talking about and verified what I suspected, that the out put hose should go from the filter directly into the degas tank upper nipple. He did not mention that the hose would be too short. So, was I supposed to call again and do what, ask for more hose in a week? I needed it then so I went and got it. No big deal.

Now, I'm going to tell the users of this forum exactly how it was and how I did it. If you consider that a slam on your kit or something that will cost you customers, that is not my fault. I promise that had it been my job to update the instructions and the contents of the kit it would not have taken 4 year to get er done. Know what I mean?

Old 11-12-2012, 04:19 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by golfmedik
What a hard life!!!!!
Well, I'm old and deserve a little golf. Besides it's vet's day.

Old 11-12-2012, 04:33 PM
Jennifer at DS
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ ^

I'm really sorry that I've apparently upset you. I wasn't accusing you at all of anything or blaming it on you. I simply answered based on the information you gave me in your original post which was that the directions said to mount on the driver's side.

2. And of course they didn't include enough hose to reach from the mounting spot they suggest (frame on drivers side)
- Jennifer

Old 11-12-2012, 04:42 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
OK, here we go. Filter housing is very nice and I mounted on the outside of the frame under the passenger door. Had to drill one 3/8ths inch hole. Instructions did not include a template and it would have been easier had I made one to mark the second hole. But I winged it at 2 3/16 inches. Was off just a bit and had to ream the holes a bit. I would have rather put it on the inside of the frame but just couldn't find a place I was happy with.

Hoses are routed from the filter outside the fender liner and inside the fender and come out behind the air box. See picture. There are a couple very opportune holes there by the grounding strap for some zip ties to hold the hoses.

You can't see it in my picture but you have to remove the air box and cut the lower heater hose, insert a tee and connect the in hose from the tee to the filter. The directions are helpful for all of this.

Do not follow directions on the return hose from the filter. Run one hose from the filter out fitting to the degas tank upper nipple. Unless you have been out of the country for a long time that nipple will have a cover over it. I chose to route along the firewall and used zip ties to hold the hose. I had to drill through the black polywhatever stuff to get the one second from the right as you are viewing the picture. the rest of the holes are there. At least they are on my truck.

ON EDIT AFTER A CALL FROM DIESEL SITE: You may disregard the information I just wrote. You may disregard the kit instructions about "seeing the coolant run into the degas tank from the upper inlet" follow the kit instructions and connect a hose from the out port on the filter in to a tee inserted in the small hose above the radiator. If you have the venturi T that hose will run into the lower nipple, that will be OK. The coolant will flow fine, the filter will filter and there will be enough hose. Again, this is information from Diesel Site. It's different from what I was told when I called them yesterday but the guy sounded like he knew what he was talking about.

Get some hose first (see post above) so you have enough. I got 16 ft of 3/8 inch. All they had was 50 PSI so I took it. had I not been pressed for time I would have looked for some 200psi, that's what's in the kit and it feels much better than the 50. This does not apply unless you want to install as I did.

Pretty easy install. I've never had one before but someone on the post above saids his has been working fine for 3 years or maybe he said 2.5.

BTW, just notice the pic shows the coolant down a bit. just settling after my flush and change. I'll top er off tonight.

Attached Images      
Old 11-12-2012, 04:55 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Great! Thanks....considering one for mine!

Old 11-12-2012, 05:05 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Jennifer at DS
^ ^

I'm really sorry that I've apparently upset you. I wasn't accusing you at all of anything or blaming it on you. I simply answered based on the information you gave me in your original post which was that the directions said to mount on the driver's side.

- Jennifer
OK, my bad, I went back and fixed it. Supporters on here can do that. It was a typeo not a miss application. I did install on the passengers side. I am not upset in the least. But the fact is that y'all don't have enough hose in the kit to do the install on a truck that has the venturi T mod, which should be all 6.4L Fords. I did not run out of hose because of my installation, I ran out of hose because there is not enough hose included in the kit. Any attempt on your part to imply otherwise will be promptly refuted. If you can understand and accept that then we can move on. I have been a semi- professional shade tree mechanic since 1958 and I have a reputation to protect.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:20 PM
RM2738
Posting Guru
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got one as well... They work great, but I was short on hose as well.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:39 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Well, in addition to Jennifer's posts I now have a call from Bob at Diesel Site. OK Bob this buds for you,.

I think he's concerned that I'm bad mouthing the product. I don't see that I'm doing that and I'm not trying to. But, in the spirit of being helpful to a small business I will say this: After talking to Bob I now know that had I disregarded the part on the instructions about the hose going into the upper nipple on the tank, and had I not called diesel site for help or had I ignored the help I got, I could have inserted the T that came in the kit into the small coolant line above the radiator and the filter would have worked fine. I had enough hose to do that and had they told me that when I called I would have done it. In fact I still may.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:41 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by RM2738
I've got one as well... They work great, but I was short on hose as well.
How long til you needed a filter? And where did you get it?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Diesel Site Coolant Filter