Sponsored by: Moser

Studded snow tires pickup

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-2012, 08:43 PM
FordRun
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Studded snow tires pickup

on a half ton pickup 2 w/d in snow can i get by with 2 ?
put on back or front ?
i have 4 All Terrain tires and it will not go up a hill
on street they don't plow it just spin

Old 11-09-2012, 09:54 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
if you put them on the back it won't brake very well, will tend to lock up fronts really easy in snow, but it will get good traction. Rear is best if you only have 2 and drive very slowly. If you have a limited slip, any time it locks you will immediately start understeering unless you give it enough throttle to use the right foot to steer, which is just stupid on public roads...
If you put them on the front it will steer and stop relatively well, but the rear won't get good traction. so you still won't make it up hills. And fishtailing everywhere is dangerous.
Thats why they recommend putting snow tires on all 4 corners. Modern studless snow tires like blizzacks actually do as well as studded tires on ice. I prefer them because there are no studs to spin out, and they are way quieter and ride better. Plus by the time you get a set of tires studded you are looking at more money, usually, than a good set of studless snow tires.

You should probably throw a few bags of sand in your bed to help with traction. If there is heavy snow nothing works as good as chains, but you'll burn them up driving on dry pavement and you really can't exceed 25 mph or so on them.

So the choice is up to you, you can run 2 and it will help just with traction going up hills, but 4 are recommended.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:19 PM
FordRun
Senior User
thank you for reply. glad i asked
i will go with 4 i had get a pull today . not going through that again
thank you again.

Old 11-09-2012, 10:38 PM
hasteranger
Lead Driver
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
You may want to read through this thread, some good discussion all around here regarding 2wd's in snow: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...d-in-snow.html

Old 11-09-2012, 11:56 PM
pro3qtr
Elder User
Originally Posted by hasteranger
if you put them on the back it won't brake very well, will tend to lock up fronts really easy in snow, but it will get good traction. Rear is best if you only have 2 and drive very slowly. If you have a limited slip, any time it locks you will immediately start understeering unless you give it enough throttle to use the right foot to steer, which is just stupid on public roads...
If you put them on the front it will steer and stop relatively well, but the rear won't get good traction. so you still won't make it up hills. And fishtailing everywhere is dangerous.
Thats why they recommend putting snow tires on all 4 corners. Modern studless snow tires like blizzacks actually do as well as studded tires on ice. I prefer them because there are no studs to spin out, and they are way quieter and ride better. Plus by the time you get a set of tires studded you are looking at more money, usually, than a good set of studless snow tires.

You should probably throw a few bags of sand in your bed to help with traction. If there is heavy snow nothing works as good as chains, but you'll burn them up driving on dry pavement and you really can't exceed 25 mph or so on them.

So the choice is up to you, you can run 2 and it will help just with traction going up hills, but 4 are recommended.
WELL SAID !!

Studs DO NOT work if U ever see street where U live, sick of stupid people running studs on BARE streets for 8 months of winter here !!

Run a Canada rated tire, SNOW flake rated and be done !! ( goodyear comes to mind)