6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

I think my truck is dead!!!! Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2012, 02:48 PM
firemedicgreg
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Put stock exhaust back on. Re-tuned to stock. Restart with same symptoms, except this time I got a code, P0269.

Faulty injector? Shows cylinder 3. And that's the area in the engine bay where the noises are most notable.

As far as the wet exhaust, maybe just some condensation? Wasn't much at all. Can't get a hold of a pressure tester til tomorrow. If I test at the degas bottle, will that also test the EGR system too? What is with all the cylinder #8 talk and the EGR? Is that the cylinder that is tied to the EGR system?

Sorry for all the question, I'm hoping that tomorrow I'll be able to talk with one of a couple of the good diesel mechanics around here.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:52 PM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
Cyl # 8 is the one that will most likely hydrolock first if it is leaking EGR coolers.

According to the code you have a bad injector.

Old 11-11-2012, 02:55 PM
firemedicgreg
Junior User
Old 11-11-2012, 02:59 PM
firemedicgreg
Junior User
Originally Posted by senix
Cyl # 8 is the one that will most likely hydrolock first if it is leaking EGR coolers.

According to the code you have a bad injector.
I can have an injector here on Wednesday morning. I'm pretty handy when I know what to replace on vehicles. Sometimes my diagnosis skills are lacking. With the air box removed, It looks as if I can get to everything. Is this something that the average Joe can do in his own shop?

Old 11-11-2012, 03:08 PM
senix
Super Moderator
You can do it. Find the torque specs first though.

Check out this guys videos..he might have one on it.
Senior Master Technician's Videos | Facebook

Old 11-12-2012, 04:04 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
http://wpnet.us/Injectors.pdf

Good luck. Be careful, 26,000 PSI diesel is nothing to mess with carelessly, a leak can inject you. Take pictures and report back.

ETA: The fuel lines that connect the injectors to the common fuel rail are one time use only, they have to be replaced if they are removed. Not doing so can lead to a leak that dumps fuel directly into the engine oil and very rapid failure.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:08 PM
firemedicgreg
Junior User
I'll keep reports coming. Ran into a buddy of mine that was the head diesel mechanic at the local dealership before they closed up. Had seen him in many years. Told him what was going on. I'm taking it in to his shop tomorrow to get him to look at. He can run all the same tests that the dealers can. Gonna run some tests on it first. If its an injector, his labor would be just under $300. I'm not messing with it for that price. I think I'm better off letting someone work on it that does it everyday. I found a diagram to check the resistance of the injectors from the PCM harness. My number all came back OK. He can run a compression test on it too. My fingers are crossed that it just the injector and not a bent rod, burnt piston or such. I'll post more as I get some answers. Hopefully I can be there during most of the repairs to get photos and watch and learn a bit more too.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:23 PM
wp6529
More Turbo
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Bring it on a trailer or a tow hook, don't run it in that condition. I saw one that sounded similar being dropped off at the dealer by a rental equipment company. They brought it on their flatbed semi and only ran it long enough to get it off the trailer.

Old 11-12-2012, 05:27 PM
firemedicgreg
Junior User
Originally Posted by wp6529
Bring it on a trailer or a tow hook, don't run it in that condition. I saw one that sounded similar being dropped off at the dealer by a rental equipment company. They brought it on their flatbed semi and only ran it long enough to get it off the trailer.
Wrecker service is coming to get it. I refuse to drive it or even start it any more than absolutely necessary. I don't want to cause anymore damage than is already there.

Old 11-25-2012, 01:06 PM
strokin83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
What every happened with your truck?

Old 11-25-2012, 06:06 PM
yzfman
New User
Originally Posted by strokin83
Wondering the same thing...

Old 11-28-2012, 09:41 PM
firemedicgreg
Junior User
Originally Posted by strokin83
I took it to a diesel shop. It passed the injector test. The relative compression test passed with flying colors. There were a few vehicles ahead of mine in the shop. So it sat til after Thanksgiving. He believes it has a broken rocker arm. I missed a call this evening from him. I'm hoping that means he got it opened up and found the problem. I'll know more tomorrow. After thinking I may need a new long block, I had been talking with a couple engine builders and they all said that the rocker arms on every engine they rebuild are shot. Seems to be another issue with the 6.4. They both recommended they be replaced around 100k miles. Mine is right at 150k. I'll update further tomorrow. Hopefully with some photos.

Old 11-29-2012, 11:26 AM
strokin83
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Dang. I'm not real familiar with the rocker arm issue. If that's it can they just swap out the rockers and call it good? I hope so. These engines aren't cheap to R&R. Good luck.

Old 11-29-2012, 01:28 PM
firemedicgreg
Junior User
They opened up the valve covers yesterday.... And of course everything is as it should be...... This issue is really starting to get on my last nerve. And to make things worse, I just received my Merry Christmas layoff letter from the city on Tuesday. The wife is FREAKING out due to the fact we are expecting our first child early next year. Wish we could get this figured out soon without having to replace a engine. That is one expense I don't need right now.

Old 11-29-2012, 02:03 PM
senix
Super Moderator
I think I would replace that # 3 injector.

Don't recall but did you check the fuel filters and shine a light into the fuel bowl and check for rust/metal?

Quick Reply: I think my truck is dead!!!! Help!!!!