Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-09-2012, 09:53 AM
Senior User

JonArmy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well time for new batteries

Well as the topic states it's time for me to get new batteries for the truck. Well I know that some topics have talked about what type battery to get, well I'm planning on getting Duralast/Battery (65-DL) | 2004 Ford F350 Super Duty P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders P 6.0L Turbo Diesel | AutoZone.com from AutoZone

Yes I know that some people have issues with AutoZone parts, but I feel that right now this would be a good option.

When I get them I plan on changing the passenger side first then drivers side.

The reason I feel I need batteries, this morning at ambient was 30, cycled the key a few times for the glow plugs to fully warm up and get stuff ready. I had my AE connected and monitored battery voltage and it droped all the way down to 8 volts, it was iffy at first start up then the second time it cranked and held around 12v while the glow plugs were still on before the alternator kicked in. When the alternator kicked in the voltage stayed around 12.5 to 13.5v

I had load tested my batteries with my handheld one by one not connected to each other and not run for the day and that was during summer and everything was good, but with the temp dropping low and more time with glow plugs and so I don't screw the FICM I want to change the batteries to confirm and if later a alternator is bad then it will get changed, worse case would be the FICM sent to Ed.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:04 AM
Posting Guru

the_auto_tech is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.the_auto_tech is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
TheAutoTech The_Auto_Tech
I would go to Wal-Mart and pick up the Everstart Maxx 850CCA batteries. 99 dollars a piece, 3 year free replacement, and made by Johnson Controls plus there's always a ton in stock.

2001 Audi allroad 6MT - Wife's

-Cody T.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:23 AM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
I bought to AutoZone Batterys the Step up from whay your looking at they were the 850CCA ones

They had a 8 year warrenty with the 3 year Free replacement

Well 3 weeks Shy of the 3 year free replacement I notice they were struggling so I replaced them for free

1 Battery had a Bad Cell the Other Battery had a Cell I could see going bad Hydro testing

So AZ Did replace Both at that time But IMO 3 Years Isnt the Best

I think there are better Options out there

Will see how these New Batterys Hold Up but If they Die again within 4 Years I will be Looking for a Better Option maybe I am Expecting to much from Batterys IDK this Diesel does Work them Pretty Good at each startup
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 11-09-2012, 10:36 AM
Post Fiend

Rusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant futureRusty Axlerod has a brilliant future
Everybody's got their opinion I guess but I've had good luck with the AZ batteries. I have a pair of Duralast gold tops in now and expect good service from them. (Hope I didn't just jinx it )
2006, King Ranch, F250, Lariat, Super Duty, Powerstroke, FX4, CC, SRW, 20in Ultra Motorsports Goliath wheels. 2in leveling kit, Husky 16K roller hitch, ScanGaugeII. Sinister coolant filter. Blue spring. BPD EGR cooler. Riffraff CAC boots w/metal cold side tube, STC update. Fumoto valves. Rotella ELC. DashBoss. '08 Mirrors. Mishimoto Rad and 200° stat.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:45 AM
Postmaster

mustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to allmustang_309 is a name known to all
[quote=JonArmy;12466529]Well as the topic states it's time for me to get new batteries for the truck. Well I know that some topics have talked about what type battery to get, well I'm planning on getting Duralast/Battery (65-DL) | 2004 Ford F350 Super Duty P/U 4WD 8 Cylinders P 6.0L Turbo Diesel | AutoZone.com from AutoZone

Yes I know that some people have issues with AutoZone parts, but I feel that right now this would be a good option.

When I get them I plan on changing the passenger side first then drivers side.

The reason I feel I need batteries, this morning at ambient was 30, cycled the key a few times for the glow plugs to fully warm up and get stuff ready. I had my AE connected and monitored battery voltage and it droped all the way down to 8 volts, it was iffy at first start up then the second time it cranked and held around 12v while the glow plugs were still on before the alternator kicked in. When the alternator kicked in the voltage stayed around 12.5 to 13.5v

I had load tested my batteries with my handheld one by one not connected to each other and not run for the day and that was during summer and everything was good, but with the temp dropping low and more time with glow plugs and so I don't screw the FICM I want to change the batteries to confirm and if later a alternator is bad then it will get changed, worse case would be the FICM sent to Ed.[/quot

So you cycled through 3 full glow plug cycles before starting the truck? That cant be good for the batteries, just on one cycle it drags my batteries down in the 11's. I think plugging in the block heater and starting after the glow plug pigtail lights go out should be more than enough.
Brett, 06 F-350 Crewcab shortbed, 4" Banks turbo back exhaust with EGT probe, Edge insight CTS with EAS fuel pressure gauge, SCT tuner using canned SCT tunes, rebuilt FICM with atlas 40 from Ed at FICMrepair.com, stand pipes, dummy plugs, STC fitting, blue spring upgrade, archoil AR9100, Magnefine P/S filter, Russell speed bleeders, FTE junkie
Old 11-09-2012, 10:46 AM
Elder User

CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.CPB1 has a great reputation on FTE.
I just put in 2 new batteries. Everstart Maxx from Wal-Mart. The first thing I noticed is how bright the inside lights are now. Big difference. We will see how long they last. They replaced 2 Motorcraft 750cc amp batteries with a date code of 2008. So 4 years is the norm for batteries on these trucks?

Chuck
Old 11-09-2012, 10:55 AM
Postmaster

Misky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputationMisky6.0 has a superb reputation
I splurged on Sears Platinums when they were on-sale last month with
an additional $40 on-line coupon (ended up at $174 each).
Engine cranks a LOT faster and my voltage stays nice during
engine warm up.

They have 4 year free replacement, 100 month pro-rated replacement.
'05 EB Excursion 2wd 6.0 3.73/LS Mich LTX M/S2, Diesel Kleen (gray bottle), FICM w/atlas40 from Ed, RAS, Read Head Steering, scangaugeII w/Blendmount, '08+ Tow Mirrors, Magnefine PS filter, SPAtechnique Dual-Gauge (FP & Volt), Blue Spring, Air Lift 1000, Interior Dome Override, DieselSite Coolant Filter, BPD Oil & EGR coolers, Rancho RS9000, Hellwig, Diehard Platinum x2
Old 11-09-2012, 11:08 AM
Certified Thread Hijacker

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
joshjones.thewelder
No need to cycle the glow plugs more than once for anything above -10 degrees.

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: SRL Custom Tune Atlas 40 FICM Rotella 0W40 DASHBOSS Ford VCM II IDS Custom Y-Pipe Fabrication
Old 11-09-2012, 11:12 AM
Post Fiend

BLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant futureBLADE35 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusty Axlerod View Post
Everybody's got their opinion I guess but I've had good luck with the AZ batteries. I have a pair of Duralast gold tops in now and expect good service from them. (Hope I didn't just jinx it )

Same ones I have^^^

I will add that I had a Alternator go out little over a Year ago but caught it before things went to bad

Since then I have had a DC Power 190amp Alternator keeping them charged now

Wish we could get the same batterys that the Trucks rolled out the assembly plant with

I got 6 years out the OEM Batterys I dont think the Replacement OEM Batterys are the same IDK
2003 6.0, 4X4 srw, short box, born on 3/28/03 Moog ball joints,DC POWER 190A ALT Duralast Goldtop batterys 10/7/2012,RECON LED SMOKE MIRROR LENS,4 inch turbo back magnaflo exhaust,no kitty, 6 in. lift, BFG 315/75r16, python remote start alarm,pioneer system2 12''subs 1600watt amps ,scangaugeII,coolant filter, blue fuel pres spring, Fresh oil cooler 6/1/11 Final Charge Cat EC-1 rated Silicate Free ELC coolant, Sinister Full egr deleate, ROTELLA T-6 5w-40syn,updatedHPO screen,updated oil filter stand pipe, TC SX8000
Old 11-09-2012, 11:37 AM
Senior User

Crash16 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
I'm running napa's brand. 110 per battery with 6 year warranty.
Old 11-09-2012, 12:34 PM
Senior User

JonArmy is starting off with a positive reputation.
Well I finally just went to AutoZone and got the 850cc Duralast. Didn't take me long, but keeping on my battery voltage and FICM with my edge and battery never drops below 13.5 and if it does it's only for around 10 seconds. The FICM stays at 48.0 it's only dropped to 47.5, before battery change it was dropping to around 46.5. Well I'll find out in the morning how well she runs. I might still change the alternator soon probably to the DC generator system. With the FICM looking good I'll still keep a eye on it, I might splurge and get the Bullet Proof Diesel FICM and keep at 48 v since I've heard it has better heat displacement and that's another thing that can kill the FICM.

Thanks for all the suggestions
Old 11-09-2012, 01:48 PM
Posting Guru

MC5C has a very good reputation on FTE.MC5C has a very good reputation on FTE.MC5C has a very good reputation on FTE.
The alternator is actually on as soon as the engine starts, which is why in your case the voltage got up to 12 as soon as the engine started - the batteries sure weren't going to jump up just because the engine was running when the glow plugs were still on. It is clear that new batteries are needed, with that low initial voltage reading, so you are doing the right thing there. Cycling the glow plugs several times is not only a bad thing to do for your batteries, it doesn't do anything to help a start - remember that the glow plugs stay on for several minutes anyway, after the light goes out, and as soon as the glow plug is hot enough to fire the cylinder, it doesn't need more time. Keeping the glow plugs lit for a long time is not a starting aid, it's to reduce emissions while the engine is being over-fueled while it's still cold. My advice is don't do that any more, your batteries, FICM and injectors will all thank you with longer and better service.

Brian
Old 11-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Elder User

Rovernut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.Rovernut is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mustang_309 View Post
When the alternator kicked in the voltage stayed around 12.5 to 13.5v
Sounds like your alternator is bad. Your high reading is below the correct low voltage output for an alternator. Should be 13.8 to 14.2. Though it's possible your low batteries are so shot the alternator isn't performing properly.
But don't wait to test your alternator once you get new batteries, otherwise you'll kill your new batteries too.
Here's a good guide to testing your alternator:
http://www.prestolite.com/literature...leshooting.pdf
Old 11-09-2012, 03:37 PM
Posting Legend

BPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputationBPofMD has a superb reputation
....and ALWAYS replace your batteries in PAIRS!

2007 Arctic Fox 30' Fifth Wheel
2012 VW Passat SE TDI - SG-II (An ALL-DIESEL family)
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM
Certified Thread Hijacker

Bullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud ofBullitt390 has much to be proud of
joshjones.thewelder
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rovernut View Post
Sounds like your alternator is bad. Your high reading is below the correct low voltage output for an alternator. Should be 13.8 to 14.2. Though it's possible your low batteries are so shot the alternator isn't performing properly.
But don't wait to test your alternator once you get new batteries, otherwise you'll kill your new batteries too.
Here's a good guide to testing your alternator:
http://www.prestolite.com/literature...leshooting.pdf
Keep in mind some are taking readings at the battery and others are taking it with a reader/scanner at the OBD port.

Expect about .2-.4 volts LOWER at the port versus the battery.

I agree charging voltage should be 13.8-14.6 volts at the batteries.

In most cases, at operating temps I see 13.6-14.1 volts at the port.

Josh

2006 F250 XLT 6.0 PowerStroke Diesel 4X4: SRL Custom Tune Atlas 40 FICM Rotella 0W40 DASHBOSS Ford VCM II IDS Custom Y-Pipe Fabrication
Old 11-09-2012, 04:15 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel