Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > Bio-diesel, Propane & Alternative Diesel Engine Fuels
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2012, 11:33 PM
Freshman User

Fett Affen is starting off with a positive reputation.
fuel pump

I am on my third air dog ll and this one started sounding like a garbage disposal after about 3000 miles, the second one lost pressure after about 2000 miles. What pumps are you guys using with B100? The factory pump quit at 90,000. I like the ease of filter change out with the air dog.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:40 AM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
I am on my second fuel pump, it's a heavy-duty from NAPA.that was about 12000 miles ago at 160,000.
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:22 AM
Freshman User

Problem is, mine is a 6.0 and requires a minimum of 45 psi. What does the 7.3 require? Federal Mogul (Carter) makes a brushless inline that is rated for B100 but I can't find specs on it.
Old 11-08-2012, 06:15 PM
Postmaster

Rushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud ofRushmore X has much to be proud of
no idea, sorry.
Trent - 2003 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) 4X4, 7.3, Hellvig antisway bar, 6637 intake mod, 4" MBRP w/ 5" tip, DP tuner, IH up-pipes, redhead steering box, 6.0 trans cooler, ISSPRO & Aeroforce gauges in A-pillar, Wicked Wheel, "Bullet Proof" Transmission rebuilt by Rapid Diesel, extra leaf spring added all around, more to follow! Gone BIO!!!
2002 TDI New Beetle - also likes Bio.
Old 11-08-2012, 09:08 PM
Elder User

1989f250IDI is starting off with a positive reputation.
B100 is probably to thick on that pump and it just eats it up. Try a mixture of like 80/20 on a new pump and watch it last a very long time. Also what filter do you use
Old 11-08-2012, 11:28 PM
Freshman User

The first air dog lasted 75000 miles, the reason it quit was that when I took it to a motor rebuilder, he discovered that the springs that put pressure on the brushes were installed backwards and that only allowed only about 20% pressure on the commutator which in turn generated heat which is not good on any motor. I had him rebuild it and that is my emergency spare. The filter I run on it is a Wix 6 micron at the pump and the factory 2 micron in the engine compartment. If anyone has any idea where to buy just that small 2 micron filter, I would like to know. My final filtering of my bio is 1 micron nominal. The absolute filters are very expensive but I have gone as much as 20,000 miles on one filter.
Old 11-09-2012, 03:37 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
I gave up on the FASS pumps. They are noisy, have a limited lifespan and cost too much to rebuild.

The stock PSD pump is rated for 110psi and is more than adequate to pump any fuel that has a low enough viscosity to work good in your truck. The 7.3 fuel pressure regulator is in the fuel bowl, so as long as you supply enough volume to it - it's fine. Not sure about 6.0 regulator. NONE of these high volume/high pressure pumps like restriction pre-pump. Many people make the mistake of putting a 'primary-type' filter in front of the pump - this results in poor performance and short pump life... That said, the 'Hutch' in-tank mods are eventually required on all of these trucks (7.3's anyway) to eliminate the strainer/filter in the tank. Just use something like WIX 33972 in front of pump (all this filter does is protect the pump).

Here's a Made in USA 7.3 pump for $40 shipped - with a lifetime warranty:
New Fuel Pump Installation Kit Ford Pickup Van 7 3L Diesel E2236 | eBay

Not sure how they hold up yet, but know a few people using them in SVO conversions right now...
Old 11-09-2012, 09:23 AM
Elder User

kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.kirkharrod has a good reputation on FTE.
I have 4,000 miles on one of those $40 pumps. So far, so good.
2002 F-250 Super Cab, 300,000 miles!!!, 100,000 on WVO; Greasecar conversion, 20 plate heat exchanger, AIH delete-water injection in its place, DIY stock fuel bowl delete, 6637 air filter w/ Pete's cover, Straight Piped, GPR LED mod, CAT ELC, 203* thermostat, Bosch auxiliary coolant pump, ext coolant filter, fumoto oil drain valve, Aeroforce Interceptor scan gauge, ISSPro trans temp, boost, EGT, elec fuel pressure gauges, Cyberdyne coolant, veg oil, ambient air temp gauges, 80W low beams/100W high beams.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM
Postmaster

SkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant futureSkySkiJason has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by kirkharrod View Post
I have 4,000 miles on one of those $40 pumps. So far, so good.
Good to know! Thanks Kirk!!
Old 11-09-2012, 10:10 AM