Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Misc. > Alternative Fuels, Hybrids & Mileage
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-07-2012, 04:49 PM
Posting Guru

wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.wyoming4x4 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
acetone additive???

Been doing some reading and they are saying good things. not familiar with this. trying to think of the down sides? i have a test truck to play with carbed. anyone know of anything on this subject!
Old 11-07-2012, 07:08 PM
Posting Guru

monckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to beholdmonckywrench is a splendid one to behold
I've used acetone (it was handy) when I had some really bad gas in my Harley years ago. Worked well enough to use up the rest of the tank, but I didn't notice much of anything else.
Old 11-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Post Fiend

projectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud ofprojectSHO89 has much to be proud of
Old subject last time fuel prices went way up.

Use the SEARCH tool to dig up the old stuff.
It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt.” - Mark Twain
Old 12-06-2012, 02:00 PM
Elder User

ChristopherN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Christopher Neufeldt chrisneufeldt
I tried it. Forgot acetone melts plastic so, don't use a plastic measuring spoon like I did.

It didn't really do anything. It may have cleaned out some things but that's about it.
Cherry Bomb exhaust video!
http://youtu.be/jghOfIECfwk
Old 12-06-2012, 03:03 PM
Post Fiend

jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.jimandmandy has a great reputation on FTE.
Other than as an oxygenate, Im not sure what acetone will do as a fuel additive. I cant find an octane number.

Toluene is the aromatic that is blended in aviation gasoline primarily as an octane booster. It has an octane rating of about 104.
Old 10-08-2013, 09:36 PM
Posting Guru

BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
@CollinHuber
Reviving an old thread...

I've used acetone in a pre-smog 460, and gained about 10%-12% fuel mileage. Mixed it into the gas in a 1:480 ratio. Worthwhile doing it. It also kept my carb clean!

The engine was also a bit worn. Not horribly, but one cylinder was dumping oil fairly bad. Don't know if that matters in the equation.
My Build Thread
Old 10-31-2013, 10:02 PM
Senior User

wastingas is starting off with a positive reputation.
Theirs a video on youtube for this. Discovery Channels 'MythBusters' did a segment on this. they also used fuel magnets and HHO. They showed negative results with the acetone. They said because it burns easier it causes higher fuel consumption. The opposition is from the fact that gasoline burns as a vapor not a liquid. acetone helps to thin out the gas allowing it to burn easier.

I'd like to hear more about HHO, and I think the acetone should clean out the engine for what its worth....
Old 11-01-2013, 12:00 AM
Posting Guru

BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.BigBlockF350 has a very good reputation on FTE.
@CollinHuber
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastingas View Post
Theirs a video on youtube for this. Discovery Channels 'MythBusters' did a segment on this. they also used fuel magnets and HHO. They showed negative results with the acetone. They said because it burns easier it causes higher fuel consumption. The opposition is from the fact that gasoline burns as a vapor not a liquid. acetone helps to thin out the gas allowing it to burn easier.

I'd like to hear more about HHO, and I think the acetone should clean out the engine for what its worth....
I saw that myth busters episode. I thought it was very interesting. My results have been different. I've used it and recorded many tanks with and without it on my normal routes with a gain of 10%-12% in fuel mileage with the acetone mixed at a 480:1 gas/acetone ratio. It all depends on the application and ratio used.

I also agree with you, the acetone WILL clean stuff up some. It'll keep carburetors/injectors, intake manifolds, and valves a little more clean.
Old 05-02-2014, 05:43 PM
Junior User

polarbear87 is starting off with a positive reputation.
about the mythbusters show

Yes it is tru that yoy get less mpg but what they tid not test is if the car has a lambda probe you can buy a kit to connect between so you can make it get a leaner mix or trick the brain to think it is within parameters..
Old 07-10-2014, 03:38 PM
SPONSOR

E Bjornstad is starting off with a positive reputation.
Erik Bjornstad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wastingas View Post

I think that's a pretty good explanation. As someone else said, whenever gas prices go up, stuff like acetone gets revived as an alternative.

And it eats away at plastic and polymers, so not really feasible for use as some kind of longterm fuel additive.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 PM
Postmaster

aurgathor is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlockF350 View Post
I saw that myth busters episode. I thought it was very interesting. My results have been different. I've used it and recorded many tanks with and without it on my normal routes with a gain of 10%-12% in fuel mileage with the acetone mixed at a 480:1 gas/acetone ratio. It all depends on the application and ratio used.

I also agree with you, the acetone WILL clean stuff up some. It'll keep carburetors/injectors, intake manifolds, and valves a little more clean.
According to the old thread about acetone, it will not work with gasoline that has alcohol in it. At least in this area, it's difficult and expensive to get alcohol free gasoline.

Acetone is a very good solvent of many things, so it can dissolve gunk and can be used as a fuel system cleaner, although there is a possibility that it could attack plastic parts.
Old 07-20-2014, 05:43 PM