1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Brake line pluming and bleeding

Old 11-05-2012, 11:21 PM
Hobdy
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brake line pluming and bleeding

Does any one have a brake line pluming diagram for a 1950 F-6 ? I am not sure. But I think all the larger trucks are the same. As long as the carry the orginal type in frame master cylinder and power booster. These trucks are a lot diffrent then ones with just a mastercylinder. Also usually after the mastercylinder is bleed on normal trucks I start in the rear right bleading each wheel coming forward. But since these trucks have 2 mastercylinders do you bleed both of the mastercylinders first ? Or do you bleed the brake booster mastercylinder later ? Like after the rear brakes are bleed. And your working foward bleeding. This one does have the stock type mastercylinder with the brass fitting bolted to the rear of it. Were all the brake lines hook into. And thats another thing, the brake lines go into it at a specal place. So if you have it. I need the diagram on how each line goes into the brass fitting or should I say brass tubing manifold ? Thanks a lot ! Any picture diagram on the brake tubing lines,the brass manifold or information on there hookup. Will be helpful. So many brake lines and so much bleeding. THANKS A LOT !!!

Old 11-06-2012, 01:45 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
We're wanting to double-check our understanding of this too. So, bump to top. Even a decent explanation would be a start. Pictures, pictures of napkins with drawings, whatever!
BTW: the cylinder attached to the hydro-vac booster is called a slave cylinder.

Old 11-06-2012, 05:57 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Received 538 Likes on 392 Posts
Hey guys! I've redone the brake systems on a 51 F5 and 52 F6 so I'm now very experienced with these stock systems, brake booster and all. Below I'll give a general overview, but please ask questions!

The plumbing is very easy for these. You have the master cylinder (F2-F6 use NAPA NMC M4572) which sits under the driver. Out the rear of the master cylinder, you have a outlet bolt (Ford 91A-2077, available from Macs). The bolt holds in either a three socket manifold or a five socket manifold (8C-2076 for the 3 socket, available from Macs - the five socket is not reproduced). The the manifold are sandwiched between two washers (Ford 91A-2151 and 91A-2152, available from Macs). Out the head of the outlet bolt goes the brake switch (Macs C1AZ-13480-A, also available from Advance Auto and AutoZone).

If you have the three piece manifold, you do not have a brake booster. Two of the outlets go to each of the front wheel cylinders. The third outlet goes to the rear axel, where it is then split into two lines, one for each rear wheel cylinder.

If you have the five socket manifold, then it is connected up like this:

As for the brake booster, the originals (Midland C477) are no longer serviceable and are commonly replaced with the next generation booster, a C462 which almost bolts right up (Napa has them as NBB 518026)

Last edited by bmoran4; 11-06-2012 at 06:03 PM. Reason: Fat Fingers
Old 11-06-2012, 06:00 PM
The Horvaths
Posting Guru
Right on, and thank you. Part numbers help too.

Old 11-06-2012, 06:10 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Bleeding Order

Bleeding Order:

Brake Booster (if present)
Rear Right
Rear Left
Front Right
Front Left

Old 01-17-2013, 12:46 PM
Tilleyman
Senior User
Hey bmoran4 - would that order be the same for a '52 F3? Seems to make sense, longest run to the shortest.

Old 01-17-2013, 01:00 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
That's the standard bleeding order for most vehicles out there, including your '52 F3!

Old 08-22-2016, 07:43 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bmoran4
Hey guys! I've redone the brake systems on a 51 F5 and 52 F6 so I'm now very experienced with these stock systems, brake booster and all. Below I'll give a general overview, but please ask questions!

If you have the three piece manifold, you do not have a brake booster. Two of the outlets go to each of the front wheel cylinders. The third outlet goes to the rear axel, where it is then split into two lines, one for each rear wheel cylinder.

As for the brake booster, the originals (Midland C477) are no longer serviceable and are commonly replaced with the next generation booster, a C462 which almost bolts right up (Napa has them as NBB 518026)

My shop manual said that the Brake Booster was standard on the F-6. I have a '48 F6 and it doesn't have one? Does that mean it was removed? I have a 3 outlet manifold with one line to the rear as described.
I just replaced the master cylinder, here's an orig pic.

Thanx.

Attached Images  
Old 08-23-2016, 01:56 AM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by chrislynn5
My shop manual said that the Brake Booster was standard on the F-6. I have a '48 F6 and it doesn't have one? Does that mean it was removed? I have a 3 outlet manifold with one line to the rear as described.
I just replaced the master cylinder, here's an orig pic.

Thanx.
That setup of yours seems to indicate the lack of a brake booster. I don't know the history of your truck, but it is not unfathomable that the brake booster was deleted for whatever reasons.

And kudos for finding a 3 1/2 year old thread!

Old 09-02-2016, 08:45 AM
LarryV1955
New User
5-socket manifold

Originally Posted by bmoran4

The plumbing is very easy for these. You have the master cylinder (F2-F6 use NAPA NMC M4572) which sits under the driver. Out the rear of the master cylinder, you have a outlet bolt (Ford 91A-2077, available from Macs). The bolt holds in either a three socket manifold or a five socket manifold (8C-2076 for the 3 socket, available from Macs - the five socket is not reproduced). The the manifold are sandwiched between two washers (Ford 91A-2151 and 91A-2152, available from Macs). Out the head of the outlet bolt goes the brake switch (Macs C1AZ-13480-A, also available from Advance Auto and AutoZone).

If you have the five socket manifold, then it is connected up like this:

Sir, I have a five socket manifold but your image does not open. Would you be able to re-post or describe in some other manner? I have hooked everything up but I get resistance to braking rather than assistance from the booster. Obviously, I have connected something wrong.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:05 PM
bmoran4
Cargo Master
Originally Posted by LarryV1955
Would you be able to re-post or describe in some other manner? I have hooked everything up but I get resistance to braking rather than assistance from the booster. Obviously, I have connected something wrong.
Sure thing! You should see it attached to this post.

Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2016, 08:53 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
well On Saturday I plan on doing the work.
It's the rear wheel cylinders I'm changing out, they're leaking.
Any advise on that? Looks pretty straight forward.
The driver side however does it have the screws to remove the drum?

Attached Images    
Old 09-11-2016, 01:26 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
Originally Posted by chrislynn5
well On Saturday I plan on doing the work.
It's the rear wheel cylinders I'm changing out, they're leaking.
Any advise on that? Looks pretty straight forward.
The driver side however does it have the screws to remove the drum?
Does anyone know why myvdriver side rear drum is different than the passenger side? It requires removing the hub. Which means seals and gaskets. Makes no sense to me.
Thanx.

Old 09-11-2016, 02:29 PM
49fordv8f4
Cargo Master
Received 69 Likes on 40 Posts
You have a '39-'47 drum on the drivers side. The brakes are the same but the drum is mounted behind the hub on '47 and earlier.
Mark

Old 09-11-2016, 02:40 PM
chrislynn5
Senior User
Originally Posted by 49fordv8f4
You have a '39-'47 drum on the drivers side. The brakes are the same but the drum is mounted behind the hub on '47 and earlier.
Mark
So what's the effort do you know to get to the brake wheel cylinder?
Do you know of any documentation.
Thanx.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Brake line pluming and bleeding