Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Older, Classic & Antique Trucks > 1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1957 - 1960 F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Box Style Ford Trucks

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 11-05-2012, 05:23 PM
Elder User

vntgtrk is starting off with a positive reputation.
Clutch release bearing question

59 1959 Ford F Series Release Bearing - Clutch - National, PartsMaster - PartsGeek
OK so I decided to do a complete clutch job before installing my engine and trans. The question concerns the parts in the link. What I removed looks like the top part and what I got with my kit looks like the 2nd part. My engine man seems to think I just need to use the new bearing (2nd part) on the old hub without the rest of the assembly. I'm not the kind of guy who wants to install a freshly overhauled engine with a new clutch and a resealed trans only to pull it back apart. Any ideas?
Old 11-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Post Fiend

spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.spurredon has a great reputation on FTE.
Your engine man is right. Just replace the release bearing, no need to replace the bearing hub unless it is damaged. It's job is to hold the bearing in place when the clutch is released. So if no obvious damage, just clean it up and press a new bearing on.
Old 11-05-2012, 09:16 PM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by spurredon View Post
Your engine man is right. Just replace the release bearing, no need to replace the bearing hub unless it is damaged. It's job is to hold the bearing in place when the clutch is released. So if no obvious damage, just clean it up and press a new bearing on.
Thanks. I was able to get the old bearing off the hub without much effort using a drift and a hammer. Is that too loose?
Old 11-06-2012, 05:55 AM
Posting Guru

Walston has a very good reputation on FTE.Walston has a very good reputation on FTE.Walston has a very good reputation on FTE.
Yes you want to use the old hub. The hub fit is not that tight. If I remember correctly, it has been a few years since I did this, there is a lip on the hub that fits against the bearing. Tap it into the new bearing and you are good to go.

http://bigjohnstractor.com/
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM
Elder User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walston View Post
Yes you want to use the old hub. The hub fit is not that tight. If I remember correctly, it has been a few years since I did this, there is a lip on the hub that fits against the bearing. Tap it into the new bearing and you are good to go.
Thanks for the info. I did notice the bearing is made in such a way that it slips easily onto the hub when you install it backward and requires gentle pressure to push it on correctly. The designer must have done this so people with common sense would not install it backward
Old 11-06-2012, 10:14 AM