1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

1952 F1 Wiper Switch to Motor Wiring 12VDC Question

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2012, 08:41 PM
travelingman55
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1952 F1 Wiper Switch to Motor Wiring 12VDC Question

I have been search the forum now for awhile using the wealth of information and pictures to put my 1952 F1 project truck together. This is mt first post.

The truck has been converted to 12 volt thanks to forum. I am at the point of installing the electric wiper motor that came in one of the 100's of boxes of parts which were with truck.

The original 6V wiper switch has a F, A, P, B post label. The B post is a tall points operated circuit breaker extending well past the switch housing. it is a COLE switch. The new 12VDC switch I purchased is also a COLE switch with a F, A, P, B post labeled.

The wiring harness I purchased from one of the many Vinatage House's came with three wires, Black, Green, White.

When all was said and done with wiring the dash I ended up with two hot wires a blue/black and a solid yellow in the same casing going no where. i figure these are to be used as require where you need 12VDC. I am going to assume the Motor is 6VDC and I will need to put a voltage reducer on it. So what wire do I place the reducer on? And what wire should i run to switch that brings in the 12VDC.

See the sketch below. There are no diagrams in the 52 Shop Manual on how to wire switch or motor. Manual just talks about them. So see my skecth below. Any help would be greatly appreciate.

Last edited by travelingman55; 11-03-2012 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Picture did not take
Old 11-03-2012, 08:55 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Is this what you need? I can't check the lettering on the switch, but the shape of the tabs on the back is correct.

Attached Images  
Old 11-03-2012, 10:25 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
My truck is 6 volt positive ground.

But this may help you. I measured the voltage on the switch in all positions and this is what I read.

And thanks to Ross for the diagram...

Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 PM
Carolina 52
Senior User
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
My truck is 6 volt positive ground.

But this may help you. I measured the voltage on the switch in all positions and this is what I read.

And thanks to Ross for the diagram...
Joe I am going to check my wiring against what you have here based on a 6 volt positive ground. Looking at the diagram of the parking switch in relationship to looking up at it from the floorboard which side would be the driver's side?
I have black, green and white wires, I want to make sure they are plugged into the right position on the parking switch, I can get the correct relationship on the switch from there.

Old 11-03-2012, 11:07 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Joe, is the lower contact on the switch, that is marked "6v Switched", hot all the time, even with the wiper switch in the OFF position? That would make sense to me, as that goes to the Parking contact. But it must be 0 volts when the switch is on Low or High?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:50 PM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by ALBUQ F-1
Joe, is the lower contact on the switch, that is marked "6v Switched", hot all the time, even with the wiper switch in the OFF position? That would make sense to me, as that goes to the Parking contact. But it must be 0 volts when the switch is on Low or High?
Yes.

The lower contact is shorted internally in the switch to the power contact so it has power any time the right contact has power (switched).

This is an interesting device, in that it has power all the time going to the central contact on the parking switch. When you turn off the wiper switch, the park switch/cam function provides 6 volts to both sides of the motor, which equals 0 volts difference in potential, so the motor shuts off.

It took me hours to figure out how it worked. That's why, if the motor is going really fast (like you don't have drag on the wiper blades), and the switch is turned off, sometimes the wipers don't stop, because the kinetic energy of the motor moves the cam off the park switch and re-completes the circuit for the power to the motor.

Does that make any sense at all?

Old 11-03-2012, 11:54 PM
51PanelMan
Post Fiend
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Jolly Roger Joe
Yes.

The lower contact is shorted internally in the switch to the power contact so it has power any time the right contact has power (switched).

This is an interesting device, in that it has power all the time going to the central contact on the parking switch. When you turn off the wiper switch, the park switch/cam function provides 6 volts to both sides of the motor, which equals 0 volts difference in potential, so the motor shuts off.

It took me hours to figure out how it worked. That's why, if the motor is going really fast (like you don't have drag on the wiper blades), and the switch is turned off, sometimes the wipers don't stop, because the kinetic energy of the motor moves the cam off the park switch and re-completes the circuit for the power to the motor.

Does that make any sense at all?
Yes, it does. That's why I time the wiper blades on the way down when I turn off the switch in order to have them stop exactly at the bottom.

Old 11-04-2012, 07:21 AM
travelingman55
New User
The Forum is like the Tooth Fairy but better. I went to sleep last night with a question under my pillow and woke up to $70.00 worth of answers. Thank you all so much. Two more questions since the manual doesn't cover this.

1. How would you add the labels F, A, B, and P to the diagram above? Both at switch and motor?

2. Where would you bring power to switch from. Ignition Switch?

Old 11-04-2012, 10:36 AM
Jolly Roger Joe
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by travelingman55
Two more questions since the manual doesn't cover this.

1. How would you add the labels F, A, B, and P to the diagram above? Both at switch and motor?

2. Where would you bring power to switch from. Ignition Switch?
I chose to use the ignition switch ACC to get the power.

I don't know about the labels. I don't recall seeing them. I made sure when I disconnected the wires that I marked them, so I could reconnect them correctly.