1997 - 2003 F150 1997-2003 F150, 1997-1999 F250LD, 7700 & 2004 F150 Heritage

Remote start kits

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 07:36 PM
Tim Jones
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Remote start kits

I have a 2003 F150 XLT 5.4l automatic. Power locks and anti-theft (with transponder key and remote entry). Looking to install a remote start but I am getting a total loss as to what kit is needed.

What I want is to remote start with climate control activation and not losing my anti-theft (no-bypass). To top it I wish to have a single remote not the factory plus and third party but all combined. What do I need? where do I get it? Can I install it? I am pretty handy with electrical and mechanical equipment but do not have equipment to access truck computer. If I can't will the dealer do it?

Old 11-01-2012, 08:22 PM
Hybris
Posting Guru
Well as my father would say if you want remote start then tell your kid(s) to start the truck and get the heat going.

In all seriousness though I think I have seen kits at Best Buy that would allow you to do what you wanted but I can't say how hard they are work with.

Old 11-01-2012, 08:39 PM
Tim Jones
Freshman User
Looks like I will have to talk to them to get enough info on what they have. Their site doesn't give specs so hard to determine all I need. Plus I just compared the Viper 5701V and they want $399 while I can buy it elswhere for $120. But that does include installation. (still high dollar)

Old 11-02-2012, 05:55 AM
capri man
New User
unless you are really really experienced in this kind of stuff, do not try it yourself. they are a booger!!!

Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 PM
Tim Jones
Freshman User
Well I wouldn't say I am familiar with auto starts in vehicles but I work on my fair share of CNC machinery that costs 440k so I made the assumption I could handle a few wires, relays and fuses in the truck. That being said I have rebuilt my old 302 by myself as well as wired in several stereo and video equipment.

I just can't seem to find specifics for a f150 as it seems there are way too many variations to get direct answers. Even the dealer couldn't give me specifics to my Canadian built 2003 model. (nice ride too with xlt plus stx package, side steps, full color bumpers, towing) Dealer was of little help and now I don't really trust their input. NEhow I would be willing to pay for install but not $200 labor for kids at bestbuy.

Old 11-10-2012, 12:29 PM
Bulkride
Freshman User
I did some extensive research on the remote start kits (2002 F150 auto locks, anti theft). I looked at all the car accessory places and got frustrated with 600+ install systems that already had my features such as power locks and anti theft. I called some of the local Ford dealers and asked what system they use (Ford uses an after market company). Many of them said Code Alarm CA 5051. With this kit it has a wired in box that learns your chipped key. There for you don't have to hide a key in the vehicle for it to work,and it still requires a chipped key to start the vehicle. I purchased my from autoalarmpro.com as many guys here have. The kit cost me $161.49 dollars. Their tech support was great and they supply you step by step instructions (wire color by wire color) and supply a testing light that turns specific colors so you are splicing into the correct wire. I installed it myself and works great! It took me about eight hours but that's because I'm retentive. If you dont feel comfortable take it to a custom shop and ask them how much to install and tell them you have step by step instructions. It comes with a remote with lock, unlock, auto start and panic. It does not cancel out the factory anti theft. You can still use your old controller if you wish to. Think of it as two systems tied into one. Give them a call at 1-586-677-9589 or their web site at autoalarmpro.com. Very nice people. If you live in Macomb, MI he installs them for pretty cheap. If ya have any questions let me know.

Old 11-10-2012, 05:21 PM
Tim Jones
Freshman User
Guess you went thru the same then. I ran across another issue first as when I purchased truck there was only one key and FOB. I am purchasing a key progammer and will post back on how it works. I needed two keys to do anything myself. I found the cheapest programmin from a locksmith for $65 for one key not including the FOB.

Once I get this done then I will check more into your suggestion.

Old 11-20-2012, 04:52 PM
tjones1966
New User
Quick update.

Been wanting an OBDII scanner for some time and when discovering the cost of programming new keys (when that second one gets lost) I decided to get a key programmer. Worked great and will be able to make some of my money back programming new keys for some friends.

Got a T300 (found out it is a China knockoff of the AD100 but with no tokens to buy) for $142.50 including shipping.

Now I am looking at a autostart off Ebay that is suppose to work with the factory alarm and keyless entry. All that for $99 so total costs are less than the quotes for the pros to install one. Just need to find out some reviews on the RS-00G2.

Old 12-22-2012, 08:27 PM
Tim Jones
Freshman User
Remote start kit

I have ordered a remote start kit. Since I already have a factory alarm and keyless entry all I needed was the remote start addon. This kit includes the 'cool start' that uses the factory fob and includes all relays and keyless bypass required. (it only cost $110) Will post back with the install results when I can.

Old 12-22-2012, 11:29 PM
carlos1212
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tim Jones
I have ordered a remote start kit. Since I already have a factory alarm and keyless entry all I needed was the remote start addon. This kit includes the 'cool start' that uses the factory fob and includes all relays and keyless bypass required. (it only cost $110) Will post back with the install results when I can.

do u have a Link?

Old 12-23-2012, 07:22 PM
bigal1
New User
Remote Start

I installed a Bulldog Security brand remote starter about 6 years ago on my 2000 F150. It has never given me a problem. I changed the battery once.
If I had to get another I would probably go with Bulldog. They are resonably priced. I Hard wired mine but they do have T Harnesses to make the job much easier.

Old 12-26-2012, 05:45 AM
Tim Jones
Freshman User
f15 remote start

Originally Posted by carlos1212
do u have a Link?

While this is an ebay listing I have found the same company on Amazon and a few other sites.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/360481918428...84.m1439.l2649

The kit just arrived and I am concerned it did not include an external relay (only a $9 item but I have an email to them today to find out more about it). I need to know from others here if the f150 needs an extra relay to prevent grinding. I will not chance it myself as I always seem to turn the ignition too far on my car when it is started by remote. The cool start instuctions say to use a relay that is not included but it will control the relay from the unit.

Old 12-26-2012, 08:22 PM
carlos1212
Senior User
Originally Posted by Tim Jones
While this is an ebay listing I have found the same company on Amazon and a few other sites.

Add on Remote Starter for Ford Factory Keyless Entry Uses Your Existing Fobs | eBay

The kit just arrived and I am concerned it did not include an external relay (only a $9 item but I have an email to them today to find out more about it). I need to know from others here if the f150 needs an extra relay to prevent grinding. I will not chance it myself as I always seem to turn the ignition too far on my car when it is started by remote. The cool start instuctions say to use a relay that is not included but it will control the relay from the unit.
thanks alot.

so just to get this straight.
this uses the factory remote right? if so, ill jump on it

forgot to ask: does this kit require a second key (I only have one)

Last edited by carlos1212; 12-26-2012 at 08:26 PM. Reason: x-tra question
Old 12-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Tim Jones
Freshman User
Originally Posted by carlos1212
thanks alot.

so just to get this straight.
this uses the factory remote right? if so, ill jump on it

forgot to ask: does this kit require a second key (I only have one)

Yes it does use the factory FOB but it also does require a second key to program (not their fault but due to fords security requirements in the factory anti-theft system).

You can get a local locksmith to do the key (purchase key on ebay for about $10). The locksmith here would charge around $60 to program it but you may get lucky to get it cheaper. The dealer wanted $120 here. However I decided to purchase a key programmer to do my own programming and have two people who will pay me $30 each to do their keys already lined up. Hoping to get a few more and get my money back on the programmer.

Old 12-27-2012, 10:27 AM
Tim Jones
Freshman User
I will have to test the remote start for the anti-grind but the company says they are pretty sure I will not need a relay. (I hope not but at least it is not that much more money) Now to get a clear day to work on it as I don't have a garagem (the reason I need the reomte start to begin with).

Quick Reply: Remote start kits