6.4L Power Stroke Diesel Engine fitted to 2008 - 2010 F250, F350 and F450 pickup trucks and F350 + Cab Chassis

Gauges

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-2012, 04:42 PM
bluefishgary
Mountain Pass
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Gauges

Hi I would like to have some way to monitor my 6.4 and to tell what is going on.
Now I do NOT want a turner as I still have my esp extended warranty so I do
not want to void it!! I have look at scan-gauge and bully dog, but I wonder
what some of you with out turners are doing. Thanks

Old 11-01-2012, 06:18 PM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I use the EDGE CTS gauge only, I did not want the tuner either for the same reasons as you but it allows me to monitor my temps and other info. Since mine was a 2008 I also use the EDGE as my back up camera since that was not available on my truck.

I am very pleased with it, I know others on here use it as well. I picked mine up at autoanything . com.

Leon

Old 11-01-2012, 09:05 PM
aquaman
Posting Guru
One big advantage of a scangauge is it's easy to see if your eyes are going like mine.

The Bullydog is essentially the same as a H&S. It's as big as a business card. Your eyes will likely tend to focus on the numbers on the left column more than the analog gauge.

For serious logging and troubleshooting, I use an AutoEnginuity scanner.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:47 PM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Received 79 Likes on 15 Posts
Edge CTS ...no tuner, just guages and good ones at that. Here is mine installed with the optional mount.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:58 AM
mrgreencms
Junior User
Where does it plug into?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:19 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by mrgreencms
Where does it plug into?
It plugs right into the OBDII port. You will have to plug the Edge into a computer initially to register and DL the backgrounds and check for updates. After that mount your pod (after you paint it). That mounts with double faced velcro that doesn't move! Painting the pod, go to O'Reilly;s or which ever auto parts store carries Dupli-Color Perfect Match paint. The gray that matches the 0'8-'10 Lariat interiors is BFM0225 Medium Charcoal Met(1B) for Ford Original colors.
After painting and mounting pod, pull weather stripping loose at dash on driver's side and remove the side panel. Route wiring behind that panel down to OBDII port and plug in. Put panel back, push weather stripping back into place. Turn on truck and set up guages the way you like them.

Old 11-02-2012, 10:28 AM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
another plus for the edge is that it will alarm and let you know when the truck goes into exhaust cleaning. You might miss the truck messagfe but you won't miss the edge. In fact, I think it stays on until the cleaning is complete. At least that's what mine did when I used it for monitor only. Mine is an older racing evolution model so it may not be the same as the newer CTS. How about it guys, does the CTS work the same?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
Leonandlisa
Tuned
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
another plus for the edge is that it will alarm and let you know when the truck goes into exhaust cleaning. You might miss the truck messagfe but you won't miss the edge. In fact, I think it stays on until the cleaning is complete. At least that's what mine did when I used it for monitor only. Mine is an older racing evolution model so it may not be the same as the newer CTS. How about it guys, does the CTS work the same?

On the CTS you can set up one of you parameters to show when it is in regen or it also has a Red "R" that appears on the top of the screen the whole time it is in Regen mode.

Leon

Old 11-02-2012, 10:53 AM
golfmedik
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by StanleyZ
. Mine is an older racing evolution model so it may not be the same as the newer CTS. How about it guys, does the CTS work the same?
Yes, it does. However, the entire background on the screen used to turn black when it was in regen which made it hard to miss. After my last update(has one now that I haven't done yet) there is just a White 'R' inside a Red circle that comes on to notify you of the regen status. This one is a little easier to miss than before. Need to update again to see if anything changes now.

Old 11-02-2012, 11:54 AM
mrgreencms
Junior User
Thank you. Great Information. I plan on purchasing one for my truck.

Old 11-02-2012, 09:03 PM
StanleyZ
Logistics Pro
Received 68 Likes on 31 Posts
Originally Posted by mrgreencms
Thank you. Great Information. I plan on purchasing one for my truck.
Now in the interest of being fully informed here's one more thing you should know. If you think that sometime down the road you might want to delete the DPF then you must find an Edge Racing Evolution. Key word is racing, if it isn't a racing model you can't use it to delete. The bad news on that is that they quit making those about 6 months or so back. There are still some around at the speed shops, you just have to look hard. If you don't think you will ever delete than it doesn't matter except posssibly for resale value.

Old 11-03-2012, 12:27 AM
parkland
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by bluefishgary
Hi I would like to have some way to monitor my 6.4 and to tell what is going on.
Now I do NOT want a turner as I still have my esp extended warranty so I do
not want to void it!! I have look at scan-gauge and bully dog, but I wonder
what some of you with out turners are doing. Thanks
You could just use a tuner, such as spartan, to use as guages, and later on you could tune you're truck once warranty is over.

Old 11-03-2012, 08:31 AM
Chalkie
Senior User
Originally Posted by Leonandlisa
Since mine was a 2008 I also use the EDGE as my back up camera since that was not available on my truck.
This alone really tweeked up my interest level. Are you able to use the camera anytime? or only when in reverse?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:31 AM
Ding126
Fleet Mechanic
Received 245 Likes on 166 Posts
Is there other options on where to mount the screen? Or is the drivers side the norm ( as shown above ) ?

Old 11-03-2012, 10:35 AM
Ding126
Fleet Mechanic
Received 245 Likes on 166 Posts
Also, If it goes to the dealer for service and the dealer needs access to the OBD port..do they just unplug and when finished plug the tuner back in without any issues.

Thanks guys

Quick Reply: Gauges