Escape & Escape Hybrid Ford Escape, Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner, Mazda Tribute

2010 escape throttle body

Old 10-30-2012, 08:56 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2010 escape throttle body

My wife has a 2010 Escape 2.5l 70k miles has anyone had issues with the throttle body ? It will run great till the light (wrench) comes on then it looses all power and after you stop, put it in park the rpm's wil surge between 600-1300. Shut it off wait 30secs. start it and its fine for a week or two then does it again. Can't get the code cause the dealer says the light has to be on. I wiped the throttle body out nice and clean now it was nasty. Hope this does the trick but I think I'll be changing it out.

Any info that y'all can give would be much appreciated.
Thanks Mike

Old 10-31-2012, 06:35 AM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes, I've read a few posts in different forums about problems like yours. I "think" there is a TSB about the problem also.

Maybe there wasn't a TSB but this: http://www.autoblog.com/2012/10/06/n...hrottle-issue/

Old 10-31-2012, 02:24 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
Thanks for the article. I've found a TSB on the earlier models with a throttle cable but nothing on the drive by wire.

I've also found a few threads with my same issue but as y'all already know they never post back what the fix was.

I never really drive her escape so could you guys tell me what the rpm st idle should be ? It seems a little low to me. It's around 750 rpm's

Old 10-31-2012, 05:07 PM
wptski
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've seen a few where there was no throttle response at all at times and the throttle body unit was replaced to fix the problem.

Old 11-01-2012, 07:34 AM
Zousha
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had a similar problem with two of my fords in the past five years. Have you had anyone check the power control unit for the engine itself? Sometimes the brains of the computer for the engine gets some glitch and had to be cleared and reset before the problem went away. The PCU or ECU or whatever they called it was sending wrong information to the engine, killing the power. Car would almost die on me, but engine kept running but would not get any response from the throttles. The vehicle in question was a 2007 and a 2009 Ford Focus with the L4 engine. Maybe something similar to that is happening here. Each time the car did this, the little wrench looking light would come on. Each time I took it to the dealer for checking out, the light would not come on and they said they could not do anything about it. It was very frustrating. Only after forcing them to reset the PCU did the problem finally go away for good.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:12 AM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
I have a friend with a 2010 Escape with the v6 Flexfuel.
She is having the same lack of response from throttle body. It is an intermittent problem, but leaves here stranded more and more lately.
She took it in to the dealer to have it diagnosed and received this:

PERFORMED INSPECTION & DIAGNOSTICS
VEHICLE NEEDS THROTTLEBODY REPLACED,MASS AIRFLOW
SENSOR CLEANED & POWERTRAIN CONTROL MODULE RECALIBRATED
I was thinking that replacing the throttle body would fix the issue. I am just curious what is meant by re-calibrating the powertrain CM. Is this something that the computer usually adjusts on the fly or after a comp reset?
I would like to help her out but I don't want to swap it out just the have it still not work without re-calibration.

Thanks for any info you can offer.

Old 08-21-2013, 03:16 AM
fordpride
Post Fiend
I put a new throttle body in my wife's and if was good to go.

Old 08-21-2013, 08:47 AM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
I just wanted to check. I know most shops pad the bill with fluff and recommended but not required services. Now I just have to find her a throttle body. I would worry about a junk yard part having the same issue. The local dealers say they are one back order until end of October. I will have to message one of the parts guys one here and see what they can find for me.

Thanks for the info.

Old 08-21-2013, 12:40 PM
fordpride
Post Fiend
My dealer here Had plenty in stock. It was 90 bucks

Old 08-21-2013, 01:14 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
dealer here wanted to charge my friend $1200 for everything.
That is why I am trying to help her out.
I have a lead on one, just waiting to hear back.

Old 08-22-2013, 09:54 PM
FireMe
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The throttle bodies have been on back order because they have been redesigned, and production has not caught up with demand. Our dealership gets them in sporadic shipments every week or two.

Replacing the throttle body requires that the keep alive memory be reset in the PCM, which can only be done with a scan tool on the 2008 and later Escapes. If you don't do this it is possible for problems such as erratic idle and stalling to occur. You may get lucky and the new throttle body will be "close enough" manufacturing-wise to the old part to work without problems.

Like most computer system manufacturers, Ford releases periodic software updates for many of the modules in the various vehicles it produces. In your case, reprogramming the PCM with updated software also erases the keep-alive memory. So, it would make sense for you to install the new throttle body, then take the vehicle to the dealer to have the software updated to get everything off on the right foot. The labor to reprogram the PCM should be an hour or less.

Old 08-22-2013, 11:14 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Thanks for all the info.
I have one on the way from a dealer in Phoenix. Fefffafa on here is a parts counter guy at the ford dealership in Phoenix. He was nice enough to hook me up with one.

Old 09-05-2013, 01:18 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
UPDATE:I installed the new throttle body and kept the memory. I figured if it didn't work I could clear it out and try that. I also let her know that she might still have to get the PCM updated by the dealer if problems still persisted.

After the install there was an immediate difference in smoothness of idle, power, and smoothness under load. She has been driving it for a couple weeks now, and has been doing great. I still recommended that she have the update done at the dealer. She has not done so since the truck has been doing so well.

Thanks for all the help and advice.

Old 06-11-2014, 06:48 PM
MrMARKin281
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update on the throttle body issue

maybe you can get a refund on the repair or part.

February 2014 Update

We have been informed that Ford has issued an extended warranty for defective throttle body assemblies and sensors for 10 years or 150,000 miles from the data of original purchase. For vehicles past this time limit, the warranty is reported to be valid until January 31, 2015.

Affected owners should contact Ford and mention Consumer Satisfaction Program 13N03.

Recall for Defective Ford Throttle Body Could Come From Petition

If that dosen't work, there may be rebuilt electronics for them for others..

Old 06-11-2014, 07:47 PM
Gembone
Logistics Pro
Thanks for the update and recall info. I have forwarded it on to my friend. Would be great for her if she could get reimbursed.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2010 escape throttle body