1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

IFS + Flathead- 1953 F100

Search this Thread

Old 10-29-2012, 09:49 AM
brendaf150
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
IFS + Flathead- 1953 F100

We have always been "Mustang" people, but are now doing a 1953 F150 for Brenda. The body work and paint were done when we bought it. It has a fresh flathead and 4 speed in the truck. I am dropping a 289 and a C4 into the unit. A couple of questions:
- What would a fair price to ask for the flat head/4 speed combo. It is still in the truck and can be heard running.
- I have looked at a number of IFS set ups for the truck: Heidt, Bob's, etc. The truck will not see any off roading or severe driving, but will be a daily driver. What are the pros/cons of the various setups and I would appreciate any recommendations.
Thanks,
Brenda and Jim

Old 10-29-2012, 10:22 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to the forum!

No expert on flatheads here but I know the V8's are more valuable and sought after than the sixes. I sold a non-running V8 and 4-speed in 2004 for $100 and another running V8 and 3-speed in 2008 for $500.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:15 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I am in the process of putting a Jag front end in my 49 F3 - not sure if it will bolt in a 53 but I am sure plenty of guys on here will be able to help- it gives you the good size disk breaks bolts in to a 49- the wheels ar 5 bolt and it is all FORD- They owned Jag for the years that fit. Good luck. Dave s

Old 10-29-2012, 01:07 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Received 53 Likes on 34 Posts
Do you have a good reason for wanting to put in an IFS besides "it's what everybody does..."? If you have a freshened beam axle in it now, Brenda can be driving it instead of it sitting on jackstands for months/years while you throw money at it. There is nothing wrong with the OEM axle and suspension as is, modernizing/updating if desired can be done for far less money by anyone with a good set of hand tools and basic mechanical skills, and each potential upgrade can be done over a weekend or two. Do you have the skills, equipment, and work space to tackle the major fabrication needed to install an IFS? This is not a minor change.
There are a lot of "hidden" issues to be dealt with: The 289 oil pan will hit the IFS crossmember requiring a different pan/oil pump. The engine tranny combo will require new motor mounts and tranny mount/crossmember. A new steering column and wheel will likely be needed. A new power assisted brake master cylinder will be needed, and new brake lines run. The inner fender panels will need major surgery to clear the suspension. New wheels will likely be needed to match the new bolt pattern. Might as well change the rear axle or axle shafts to one(s) with matching bolt pattern so you don't have to carry two spares and to change it to a better ratio to match the new engine and tranny. Most 289s don't produce much more power than a good flathead.

You have a running truck with a much more unique driveline than the cookie cutter 289/C4. If you want to upgrade it there are tons of performance/ appearance parts available, and adapters to bolt a T5 5-speed overdrive tranny to the flathead which makes an excellent combo of performance and economy.

Way too many novices jump in and make wholesale changes without any real need or significant improvement, because they don't first consider what the truck will be used for and if the changes are going to have any real benefit for their needs or desires. They get in way over their abilities, budget, time, and it never gets finished.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:22 PM
49f3dls
Posting Guru
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
brendaf150- Ax knows what he is talking about and is a wealth of information- he has shared more knowledge with me (and I am sure lots of others) than I deserve -and best of all it is accurate and FREE (Please don't change that, Ax!!) Have fun Dave s

Old 10-29-2012, 07:56 PM
brendaf150
New User
Thanks for the Info

Thanks for your comments. I gave some thought to keeping the original powertrain, however, I have a fresh 289/C4 ready to go. We are fortunate to have a well equipped workshop to handle the conversion and we will hopefully have it on the road when the snow goes in the spring.
The truck has already been converted to power brakes/steering/12 volt so some of our work is already done.
Thanks again for your input, it is appreciated.
Jim & Brenda

Old 10-29-2012, 08:12 PM
Baldy66
Freshman User
Get ahold of a Mid Fifty's cat. or get one their web. Great info and a ton of parts.

Old 10-29-2012, 08:41 PM
Doc
Logistics Pro
Received 128 Likes on 55 Posts
As always, we'd like to see some pictures. It sounds like you already have a pretty nice truck if all of those mods have already been done. And, not to pick on the obvious, you do realize that the "F-150" didn't come into existence until the 1970's, right? I noticed it in your username and your first post. Your truck would be referred to as an "F-100". As far as the username goes, IF you meant to use "F-100", you might want to "back up and punt" right now or contact the mods before your post count starts growing.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:24 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Welcome, "just beware of Bobs" Do a search first, there has been horror stories.

Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 PM
brendaf150
New User
We have owned way too many F150's over the years and I still have trouble referring to the 53 as an F100 although I know that is what it is. Good idea on the name, might be a good idea to correct it know and start over.
Thanks for the help.
Jim

Old 10-29-2012, 10:25 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Welcome, "just beware of Bobs" Do a search first, there has been horror stories.
RUN away!
I'd suggest going with an American made IFS that uses major brand off the shelf parts for future replacement ease. IMHO stay away from the Chinese clones such as Helix or the no name drop shipped units on ebay. You might want to look at the swap one of our member's is doing on his 56 using a late model Lexus aluminum crossmember suspension setup:
https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/1...lexus-ifs.html

Old 10-29-2012, 10:32 PM
ALBUQ F-1
Fleet Owner
Received 607 Likes on 377 Posts
Originally Posted by AXracer
RUN away!
I'd suggest going with an American made IFS that uses major brand off the shelf parts for future replacement ease. IMHO stay away from the Chinese clones such as Helix or the no name drop shipped units on ebay. You might want to look at the swap one of our member's is doing on his 56 using a late model Lexus aluminum crossmember suspension setup:
Doesn't that kind of fly in the face of "American made IFS that uses major brand off the shelf parts"?! Same comment applies to Jag front ends...

I wonder how long Volare parts will be available?

Old 10-29-2012, 11:15 PM
AXracer
Hotshot
Volare no longer makes sense IMHO putting a 30 year old design on a 50 year old vehicle is not much of an upgrade especially considering the K car was meant to be a low cost no frills car to try to save a failing company. Many of the parts are no longer being manufactured and most of the donors are totally trashed if you can even find one.
The Lexus is an up to date luxury sports design built and sold in high numbers by the largest car company in the world. It's unlikely demand for and availability of parts will fall off for many many more years. It is well supported by the aftermarket. The design is more modern than even the MII.

Old 10-30-2012, 07:34 AM
BACAGrizz
Fleet Mechanic
Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
I used a crossmember from Heidt's and then assembled the rest from different manufacturers that had pieces I wanted. Ride Tech strong arms for Mustang II. Ride Tech Shockwaves for suspension. Wilwood spindles, hubs and front brakes. Re-manufactured power rack. I have a 289 and C4 in my truck. Had to change the oil pan for clearance on the crossmember.

I would definitely stay away from Bob's F100 parts. There are a lot of complaints about them and their business practices.

Old 05-20-2013, 01:08 PM
Lawrence Petty
5th Wheeling
What customer support

Have Big Bob F100 IFS conversion for 1955 F100. First did not send rotors. Would not resend any even though I paid for them. So ordered rotors to be sure to get correct ones. Incorrect rotors - still trying to get the rotors or at least a correct number so I can get rotors as parts stores here are clueless to what I need as they state no GM rotors with 5 x 4 1/2" & 1/2' studs. Got front end because I do not weld.
Does anyone know what rotors to use with GM 371876RH 15 spindles? Must be a 5 x 4 1/2" pattern with 1/2" studs - because the adapter/spacer is 5 x 4 1/2" with 1/2" studs going to a Ford 5 x 5 1/2"

Quick Reply: IFS + Flathead- 1953 F100