?'s about weighted tags

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2014, 10:03 AM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Here are the federal rules for the commercial requirements:
All Regulations - Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration

For a NC driver license, you need a class A to tow anything more than 10,000 lbs. It can be classified if the use is not for commercial purposes. A medical card is required to operate a vehicle or combination over 10000 GVWR or GVW for commercial purposes even if a CDL is not required. Fuel tax laws are covered in the federal DOT rules and I believe only apply to commercial vehicles.

Here is the NC general statues for motor vehicles:
North Carolina General Assembly - General Statutes - Chapter 20: Motor Vehicles.

License tags for trucks (property hauling vehicles) are section 20-88. Truck tag includes the loaded weight of any trailer being pulled. I could not find any special exemption for travel trailers.

Old 01-11-2014, 12:57 PM
crown14
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dustybumpers
I guess you missed the part about it was a Rollback ( flatbed wrecker)
This truck would be weighted at 33,000 lbs, and requires a CDL driver. This truck DOES require a fuel sticker. I have the ticket (fine) to prove that
This is also a two year old thread.
I didn't miss it, but I guess you missed the original post, clearly the discussion here is about pickups and not rollbacks.

The age of the thread has nothing to do with your off-topic, misleading post.

Old 01-11-2014, 02:52 PM
crown14
Freshman User
Originally Posted by EPNCSU2006
For a NC driver license, you need a class A to tow anything more than 10,000 lbs. It can be classified if the use is not for commercial purposes. A medical card is required to operate a vehicle or combination over 10000 GVWR or GVW for commercial purposes even if a CDL is not required.
To clarify- this would only apply to someone towing a loaded trailer that weighed over 10k, and not to someone towing a 4k trailer behind a 6k lb truck.

Truck tag includes the loaded weight of any trailer being pulled.
Thank you for verifying that. Also I am unaware of any exemption to travel trailers, however there are some exemptions of other sorts for motorhomes that I am not familiar with, this may be what has led to the confusion with the travel trailers. Also, SUVs are still exempt from weighted tag requirements.

Old 01-11-2014, 05:34 PM
dustybumpers
FTE Legend
Originally Posted by crown14
I didn't miss it, but I guess you missed the original post, clearly the discussion here is about pickups and not rollbacks.

The age of the thread has nothing to do with your off-topic, misleading post.
Off-topic miss-leading post????

I'm not here to argue with you.
I said in my first post to go to the weigh station, and find out the laws.
I stated my experiance with my truck. In which I should have checked with the local laws first
I also stated the law, as I know it having a FEDERAL DOT number

I am not going to go through old threads and pick at a poster.
Anyone can "side read" what they want in someone else's post, and twist it into something else

If you want a battle, find someone else to battle with, I am uninterested

Old 01-13-2014, 10:22 AM
ncheavymetal
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not sure why things are getting off track. Try to keep on topic as best as possible and put aside any personal stuff.

I think everyone is just trying to help. We all have different trucks and haul different stuff. So far some good information has been shared. Like many threads of this nature it will be up to the OP to weed through all the info and make their own decision.

I hope folks continue to share the information they know about weighted tags and provide a source/reason for that knowledge. We may eventually have a very informative thread that can be broken into categories based on specific information.

Old 01-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Crete
Senior User
For a NC driver license, you need a class A to tow anything more than 10,000 lbs.
That isn't true.

The only time the 10k+ trailer comes into play is when the combined GVWR is over 26k.

Class A.

Any combination of vehicles with a gross vehicle weight rating, GVWR, of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle or vehicles being towed is in excess of 10,000 pounds.
NCDOT: Commercial Drivers (CDL)

Old 01-21-2014, 05:20 PM
EPNCSU2006
Lead Driver
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
Thanks for the correction - it looks like they changed the towing restriction for class C recently. I have class C CDL and it has the same restriction on the back as my old non-CDL class C - trailer up to 10,000lbs, no mention about combined weight (or age for that matter) when towing.

Non-CDL descriptions from: NCDOT: License Fees
Class A:
Required to operate any combination of vehicles exempt from CDL requirements with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more, provided the GVWR of the vehicle(s) being towed is greater than 10,000 pounds.
Class B:
Required to operate any single vehicle with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of 26,001 pounds or more that is exempt from CDL requirements, or any such vehicle while towing another vehicle with a GVWR of 10,000 pounds or less.
Class C:
Required to operate any single vehicle that is not carrying hazardous material in quantities required to be placarded or is designed to carry no more than 15 passengers including the driver with a gross vehicle weight rating (GVWR) of less than 26,001 pounds; or any vehicle towing a vehicle which has a combined GVWR of less than 26,001 pounds operated by a driver at least eighteen years old.

Most drivers need only a Regular Class C license to operate personal automobiles and small trucks.