Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-28-2012, 01:27 PM
Senior User

JohnDeereFarmerUSMC is starting off with a positive reputation.
Thoughts and advice?

Well my motor will be in the shop today, already have the stand, and clays big box will be arriving next week, now all thats left is get my truck up there and swap em' (short story haha).

While doing the swap i have a few things already planned

-Clean and por-15 the entire front end frame and engine compartment.

-Strip the new motor, clean and paint it (still torn on paint here, want to do orange/black but might have to go IH red/black)

-Go through the entire new(used new hehe) motor re-torque everything down, throw some new rosewood stage 1's 160/100

-Por-15 the oil pan after stripping and cleaning

-Wanna flush tranny, and powersteering/brakes, re-seal the p/s pump and clean it up.

-Tighten steering box slightly to fix my loose steering issue

-Flush radiator real good while its out of truck

-Depending on condition of van turbo possibly clean that up and use it over my stock 2000 turbo. Also be putting on my brand new IH bellowed up pipes, and 4" down pipe.

-I have a fuelbowl/hpop re-seal kit on standby might order a few more parts from bob, i do NOT WANT A SINGLE leak with this new motor hahah.

-Jim is going to be doing my ts6pos with beans tunes when he builds my injectors

-Ordered a FRx and HPx, will be doing my in tank mods as well as a diy CCV mod, new cac boots and clamps, as well as plenum inserts, and plugging AE in just because i have it now of course.

What else would you guys do?

Ive pretty much peaked my budget with the stage1's and chip all at once but it was a "need" . On the budget back burner im saving for a modded H2E setup, and am looking to pickup a spare trans to build.

edit-I'm very against the 38R right now, but well see how my H2E budget goes

00 F250 ext cab lariat 4x4--- 6637, Early 99 turbo wheel, EBPV delete pedestal and housing, IH up's, 4" down, NoLimitsTuning, 160/100% sticks,FRx etc. AND RUNNING AGAIN!
USMC Active duty 0311 2x OEF, Currently stationed in Indian Head MD.
Old 10-28-2012, 01:42 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
Pretty good list for sure.

I would send the exhaust manifolds for surfacing and possibly ceramic coating if you want to go that route.

Oil Cooler rebuild, much easier out.

New water pump.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...300,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 10-28-2012, 02:10 PM
Gone Fishin for Mark

joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.joegebff has a great reputation on FTE.
Fill with ELC coolant. Tack weld the piston oil jet coolers?

'99.5 F-35O 4x4 Auto CC Short bed 239K
Kwik w/Pete's cover, CCV,
Foil Delete, AIH Delete,
Ranch Hand bumpers F&R
Predator Programmer(don't get one)
Re-man tranny @ 23OK
Aluminum lined bed

People pay better attention when they notice I have the safety OFF!
Old 10-28-2012, 02:25 PM
Senior User

Not gonna be welding the oil jets.....im not trying to fix what dont need fixin' if you know what i mean. Ill do all that on the block im pulling out .

How hard is it to re-build the oil cooler? I recall a couple of recent nightmare threads on the subject...

As far as the manifolds go i dont know if i have enough time to get them surfaced and coated....id really love to but wanna have this truck up and running soon as the new paint dries, so that way i can work out all the kinks before i have to head back to MD.

00 F250 ext cab lariat 4x4--- 6637, Early 99 turbo wheel, EBPV delete pedestal and housing, IH up's, 4" down, NoLimitsTuning, 160/100% sticks,FRx etc. AND RUNNING AGAIN!
Old 10-28-2012, 03:03 PM
Senior User

Motor was just delivered!! things are finally coming around!

Old 10-28-2012, 10:49 PM
Post Fiend

BigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud ofBigAlsPSD has much to be proud of
Oil cooler isn't too bad, here's Cody's write up

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/90...e-of-year.html

I would at least take the manifolds to the machine shop and had them surfaced to get a good seal, you'll probably be running that motor for quite a while, and I see no need to worry about boost leaks further down the road. But I also understand wanting to get it done, Clay may still have some to swap if you wanted to go that route.

Congrats on getting your motor though. Good luck.

Alan 2000 F-350 CC SRW 4WD, DIY FRx, DIY CCK, Tyrant Tuning, BTS Trans, SpringerPop's Disabler, 6637 Filter, OCR, DIY Hutch Mod, Van Turbo w/RR 6/6 billet wheel, Foil Delete, 50Cent Mod, 4" Turbo back, other stuff...300,000 Miles and counting.Towing 2005 32' Sandpiper 5'er 2007 CC SRW 4WD 6.0 mostly stock
Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 02-25-2013, 09:08 PM
Senior User

fd1109 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Getting ready to pull my engine also , can someone teel me a little more about resurfacing the exaust manifolds and the IH down pipes ?
Old 02-26-2013, 03:29 AM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fd1109 View Post
Getting ready to pull my engine also , can someone teel me a little more about resurfacing the exaust manifolds and the IH down pipes ?

Exhaust manifolds don't use a gasket, so to ensure an effective seal, it would be good proactive measure to take them to your local machine shop and have the sealing surface decked flat.

And the IH or "bellowed" up pipes are the pipes that feed the turbo, the International version has "bellows" that allow for the expansion and contraction of the pipes, and prevent them from leaking, where as the stock up pipes use a slip joint and donut gasket.

Riffraff Diesel: International Bellowed Up-pipe Kit 99.5-03

Member Arkansas Chapter
Old 02-28-2013, 09:44 AM
Senior User

OK Thanks
Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 PM
Senior User

after I pull my motor i'm going to replace the brake lines since it will be easy to get the front done would you recommend any other lines in the front ?
Old 03-15-2013, 07:32 PM