Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

1995 f150 300 i6 turbo or supercharger?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2012, 06:45 PM
orderthesun
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 1995 f150 300 i6 turbo or supercharger?

i have been reading on this for the past week and still cant decide what to do for my set up. first of all should i get a turbo or a supercharger and why, and also if anyone has done a setup and could tell me what they did that would be great. and if anyone posts to search i already did. if anyone needs to see pictures also i can put some up.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:51 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Is it speed density or mass air flow? If it's speed density then you're going to have one hell of a time getting the computer to play nice, I'd probably convert to a roots style supercharger and good 4bbl setup. If it's MAF then go with a centrifugal supercharger (vortec) and keep the EFI.

Old 10-28-2012, 08:25 PM
orderthesun
Freshman User
i am only fifteen and have no f##### clue what im doing. it is my first truck and i am looking to just improve the performance on it in my auto tech class at the high school. i have been looking and know i am going to do an exhaust system on it with headers. i am think just hedman headers with a flowmaster 40 exiting before the rear axle. i am also looking at rebuilding the head and doing stuff like that. as far as what you asked pfogl i have no idea what any of that means haha. i am just looking to see if it would even be a good idea to try to supercharge it i have no idea what to do

Old 10-28-2012, 09:24 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
In 1995 there were two different computer systems that COULD be on that truck. One Is EEC-IV, it's a full multi-port batch fire system that takes a manifold absolute pressure reading and an exhaust gas reading to determine whether to add fuel or decrease fuel. This is what you got if you didn't live in California. If you lived in california (or it was an ex rental or RV chassis) you wound up with the better system. EEC-V, which is OBD-II (if you don't know what that means then your auto tech class is worthless). It uses a mass air flow sensor to read the amount of air coming into the engine, adjusts fuel accordingly and then trims the mixture using the O2 sensor.

If you have the former (EEC-IV, OBD-I) system it is what it is. If you have the latter (EEC-V, OBD-II) then there are a LOT of things you can do. One of the simplest upgrades for EITHER system in to use 1.7 ratio rocker arms on the valves. This will open the valves a little more and let more air in and out. I think a lot of these questions you should raise with your teacher. A supercharger or turbo will require a lot of work. DO NOT REMOVE THE POLLUTION CONTROLS OR CATALYTIC CONVERTER YOU WILL LOSE POWER AND FUEL ECONOMY! Now that's out of the way, the best thing you can do is a rear gear swap.

Old 10-28-2012, 10:29 PM
orderthesun
Freshman User
so is ther any way to get the better system, and also i have considered regearing the axles but i dont know if i should put the work in and do it myself or just swap it out with different geared junkyard axles.

Old 10-29-2012, 12:01 PM
pfogle
Lead Driver
Without having a '96 or '95 cali donor truck and swapping in the entire wiring harness and computer no. Just re-gear what you have. You'll have NEW gears instead of ones that have probably had water sitting in them for who knows how long.

Old 10-29-2012, 01:26 PM
DPDISXR4Ti
Fleet Mechanic
Received 37 Likes on 28 Posts
Originally Posted by orderthesun
i am only fifteen and have no f##### clue what im doing.
Yes, that's blatantly obvious.

Old 10-29-2012, 02:08 PM
Freightrain
Lead Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by orderthesun
so is ther any way to get the better system, and also i have considered regearing the axles but i dont know if i should put the work in and do it myself or just swap it out with different geared junkyard axles.
You mention "axles", as if this is a 4x4?

Likely a whole lot cheaper to find junkyard pieces and swap the whole thing. That way you are only dealing with Ubolts and such. Installing ring/pinions is NOT a job for a youngster in auto tech classes. Plus the cost of each set of gears, bearings, seals.

Likely won't find a bolt on kit for a I6 for either supercharger or turbo. The turbo would be easier to fab up, if you had the tools and means to do it.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:19 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
I think his head is close to exploding with the deluge of information. When it comes to forced induction, ignition timing control becomes more important along with ensuring an adequate fuel supply system. Not sure if anyone's done spray on a 300, but N2O is fairly cheap and easy to do with all the kits available now.

Back into the real world, a good tune up, free flowing exhaust, and lower gears will give you better seat of the pants feel.

Old 10-29-2012, 09:26 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
Originally Posted by blkF250HD
I think his head is close to exploding with the deluge of information. When it comes to forced induction, ignition timing control becomes more important along with ensuring an adequate fuel supply system. Not sure if anyone's done spray on a 300, but N2O is fairly cheap and easy to do with all the kits available now.

Back into the real world, a good tune up, free flowing exhaust, and lower gears will give you better seat of the pants feel.

you sir just awnsers some of my questions with that reply and i thank you

Old 10-29-2012, 09:47 PM
orderthesun
Freshman User
Originally Posted by DPDISXR4Ti
Yes, that's blatantly obvious.
wow you look so cool bye commenting on thatt

and does anyone think it would be good set up with hedman headers with 2.5" pipe, a flowmaster 40 series and the exhaust exiting before the rear axle? and i am planning on running cats

Old 10-29-2012, 10:18 PM
buzzy613
Elder User
It would sound like my international 706 but yes it would be alot better, but get a high flow cat while your at it , in the rear run a 373 or 383 type gearing i have 410's in my truck and its a pita, oh and its by not bye like your leaving

Old 10-30-2012, 07:47 PM
UNTAMND
Logistics Pro
Well...
Lots to talk about here.
But basically a turbo is easiest to swap under the hood than any supercharger.
The 300 doesn't have any factory brackets for it. So you'll need to find a supercharger or a blower, and then figure out how to mount it, and then get the belt to lign up, and then be strong enough to not flex under boost.
A turbo requires only for it to be mounted high enough to allow oil drain back, and a strong exhaust to the turbo to hold it up, if you don't make a bracket to help hold it up.

As far as making the engine better, you'd need to pull the head off for porting. It's a terrible head design. But works well for its stock purpose. Cam choices are limited but with boost its not an issue. Just use the stock cam.

If you don't have mass air, you can (for now) use an fmu and msd6btm.
Mass air conversion is time consuming and needs lots of concentration.
You'll need to upgrade fuel pump, should have an adjustable regulator, and complete tuneup.
You'll need to find someone to tune the computer so that you can put larger injectors and tune the fuel and timing curve.

Lots to think about.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:10 PM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,157 Likes on 915 Posts
It's a steep learning curve for sure. There was a thread here at one time about a turbo six..let me look: https://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/9...-9l-300-a.html

Plenty of reading in there.

Old 10-30-2012, 08:19 PM
blkF250HD
Posting Guru
Another thing to think about:

Squires Turbo Systems - Turbocharged Innovation!

I've seen one installed on a '04 GTO, and it worked as promised.

Quick Reply: 1995 f150 300 i6 turbo or supercharger?