Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2012, 09:27 PM
New User

c.j.amato is starting off with a positive reputation.
Question Reverse noise 7.3 L 2002 DANA 80

Today I had a differential pinion seal replaced due to a small leak. When I put the truck in reverse and cut the steering wheel hard I'm hearing a faint grinding sound. Anyone have any ideas? 2002 Ford 7.3 L dually with Dana 80 rear end.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:46 AM
Hook it, I'll pull it.

miller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputationmiller_feed has a superb reputation
Welcome to FTE.

Who changed the seal?
Do you know for sure they put 470 ft/lbs of torque on the pinion nut?
Did you check the fluid level?
Might need friction modifier.
RICK, PAA MEMBER #4
2001, F-350, DRW. CC. LWB, 4X4, LARIAT,
MODS: 6637 W/Pete's cover, BTS-TRANS, DP-TUNER LIVE, MBRP 4" SS, Isspro 3 gauge kit, TN-BB turbo, Bellowed up pipes, HPX, TRU-COOL cooler, SS Stage II injectors, and the Chris-fifty.
Old 10-27-2012, 02:14 PM
New User

I had a certified mechanic whom I trust do it. I'm starting to suspect a warped rotor.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:42 PM

redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.redford has a spectacular reputation.
Sounds to me like maybe they didn't put enough friction modifier into the diff fluid. A warped rotor will cause your brake pedal to pulsate while braking. If you are not experiencing this pulsating, your rotors are true.

2007 F-250 Super Cab Short Bed 4x4 XLT Sport Package 5.4L 3.73LS Tow Command

Stuart
Retired Master Sergeant

FTE Guidelines
Old 10-27-2012, 05:10 PM
New User

My understanding is that friction modifyer is in synthetic 75w-90 severe gear oil. Do you add more and would this do any harm?
Old 10-27-2012, 05:15 PM
Posting Guru

kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.kd0axs has a great reputation on FTE.
Are you talking about Amsoil Severe Gear? It says on the bottle that it's compatible with most limited slip diffs, but if you experience chatter to add friction modifier.

I take this to mean that there is friction modifier in it, but some LS diffs may need more.
Old 10-27-2012, 05:25 PM
New User

Yes.... Amsoil 75-90W severe gear is correct. Would it hurt to add a bottle of friction modifer to this? I'm going to purchase a bottle and see if this is the fix. The noise is only at a slow speed, no grinding. Just enough to be concerned when backing up.[/LIST]
Old 10-27-2012, 06:14 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
I used mobil 1 with the modifier in it already. But I seem to recall having to use a heavier 75w 140 or the like, I could be wrong though.

When the modifier is needed the rear end will jerk (chatter) a bit going around corners especially under load.
My facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 10-27-2012, 06:44 PM
New User

My "Precious " isn't jumping or anything. I just hear the noise when turning to back out of the drive way. By the way I had to annoy the parts guy at Ford to verify which rear end I had. First they told me a DANA 60 but I insisted they pull it up by the VIN. DANA 60 uses 75-140W, DANA 80 uses 75-90W. My mechanic questioned this also but verified I was correct in my persistence. Ford apologized and just assumed they all use synthetic 75-140W. (That was also initially giving him the numbers stamped on the differential).
Old 10-27-2012, 08:33 PM
Temporarily Deactivated

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by miller_feed View Post
Welcome to FTE.

Who changed the seal?
Do you know for sure they put 470 ft/lbs of torque on the pinion nut?
Did you check the fluid level?
Might need friction modifier.
It takes the torque needed to crush the sleeve and give the proper pinion drag.
Old 10-27-2012, 08:35 PM
Temporarily Deactivated

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by c.j.amato View Post
Today I had a differential pinion seal replaced due to a small leak. When I put the truck in reverse and cut the steering wheel hard I'm hearing a faint grinding sound. Anyone have any ideas? 2002 Ford 7.3 L dually with Dana 80 rear end.
LS rear end? I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 10-28-2012, 06:05 AM
Elder User

bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.bucci is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXv10 View Post
It takes the torque needed to crush the sleeve and give the proper pinion drag.
Never heard of putting in a new crush sleeve when just changing a pinion seal. One should always install a new flange nut though.

Rotational torque should be checked before removal of flange nut and then after new seal is installed new flange nut should be torqued to remove play and slowly increased until a specified torque is reached above the initial recorded rotational measurement. Probably around 3-5 in. lbs more than the original recorded measurement.

That's the general procedure, one should always check manufacturer's procedure and to verify spec numbers.
XL Trim with Power Equip. Group, XL Decor & XL Plus
9x7 Reading Dump Body with Scissor Lift & Chelsea PTO
Old 10-28-2012, 11:31 AM
Temporarily Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by bucci View Post
Never heard of putting in a new crush sleeve when just changing a pinion seal. One should always install a new flange nut though.

Rotational torque should be checked before removal of flange nut and then after new seal is installed new flange nut should be torqued to remove play and slowly increased until a specified torque is reached above the initial recorded rotational measurement. Probably around 3-5 in. lbs more than the original recorded measurement.

That's the general procedure, one should always check manufacturer's procedure and to verify spec numbers.
I totally disagree. If you go by torque you can't attain the slight drag it needs. Besides, those specs are for a dry rebuild on a bench. 470 pounds on a sleeve that is already crushed? YIKES!., you wouldn't be able to turn the yoke by hand.
Old 10-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Post Fiend

Snowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputationSnowseeker has a superb reputation
Thats what I am thinking as well. It is the preload on the bearings as well and I don't think I have ever seen any torque numbers over 100ft lbs for any sort of taper bearing. In fact almost all taper bearings require just a snug nut or even allow for a positive tolerance. Over torquing them will burn them up no matter how much oil they are in.
My facebook page https://www.facebook.com/pages/VPT/244788508917829
Old 10-28-2012, 03:12 PM
Temporarily Deactivated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowseeker View Post
Thats what I am thinking as well. It is the preload on the bearings as well and I don't think I have ever seen any torque numbers over 100ft lbs for any sort of taper bearing. In fact almost all taper bearings require just a snug nut or even allow for a positive tolerance. Over torquing them will burn them up no matter how much oil they are in.
The nut torque can't even be used on a seal job. They just need 2 things; a little drag on the pinion and a nut that will stay tight. The old crush sleeve can be used if it applies enough pressure on the nut which is possible due to it's springiness and the wear on the 2 bearings.
Old 10-28-2012, 03:12 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty