Dual Exhaust benefits for 5.4l

Old 10-26-2012, 08:49 PM
cjag1973
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dual Exhaust benefits for 5.4l

Hello

i am thinking about putting dual exhaust on my truck, but i was just curious if there is any real benefit to doing it fuel millage wise.

i would be ***** to spend the money on getting it done , if it will pay off in the long run.

any help would be great.

thanks in advance.
Clint.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:58 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
No benefit.

Old 10-27-2012, 08:37 AM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
Received 5,128 Likes on 1,681 Posts
Yes dual exhaust has fuel benefits if you can keep your foot off the floor, it sounds better & breathes better, even better with a cold air intake = more mileage

Old 10-27-2012, 03:49 PM
cjag1973
Freshman User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER
Yes dual exhaust has fuel benefits if you can keep your foot off the floor, it sounds better & breathes better, even better with a cold air intake = more mileage

really that much.

guess ill have to get it for next summer.
i do like the sounds of it from many trucks that have it.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:21 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
You will have no noticeable benefits, if anything you'll lose a touch of top end which will make you down shift sooner and use more fuel. Been there done that. Good mod if you need to replace the exhaust anyway otherwise a waste. A single 2.75"-3" cat back will be cheaper and do the same thing.

Old 10-27-2012, 05:32 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
I'm not gonna get into a yelling match here lets wait for some one else to chime in, dual exhaust with an X pipe is better than single exhaust, why else would every one be doing it along with a cold air intake........just my .02

Old 10-27-2012, 09:12 PM
galaxie641
Postmaster
He is talking about stand alone dual exhaust on a gas engine to increase mileage. If it gave great gains in mpg they would have all come from the factory that way to meet CAFE ratings easier.

But what do I know I have only done this on a 5.4L in a F150, with a FIPK BTW and no it does nothing. They breathe just fine the way they are.

Old 10-27-2012, 09:25 PM
Bigpipes 35
Cargo Master
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by galaxie641
He is talking about stand alone dual exhaust on a gas engine to increase mileage. If it gave great gains in mpg they would have all come from the factory that way to meet CAFE ratings easier.

But what do I know I have only done this on a 5.4L in a F150, with a FIPK BTW and no it does nothing. They breathe just fine the way they are.
I would tend to agree. The factory 3" exhaust system is more that adequate to handle the exhaust volume a stock 5.4 produces. If you like the sound of the dual exhaust go for it just dont expect any mileage gains from it.

Old 10-28-2012, 01:43 PM
Beechkid
Received 207 Likes on 159 Posts
Originally Posted by GIGGER
I'm not gonna get into a yelling match here lets wait for some one else to chime in, dual exhaust with an X pipe is better than single exhaust, why else would every one be doing it along with a cold air intake........just my .02
The answer- marketing.

With regards to the CAI..

The 5.4 V8 for example if close to stock can only suck in a maximum of 480 cfm and a flat panel filter will flow 500 cfm, there is simply no way any CAI on a relatively stock engine can increase the air flow enough to exceed the ECM’s ability to adjust and maintain the correct fuel mixture. The only reason for the “custom” program to support the CAI is because the design is poor resulting in false readings from the air intake sensors, etc….period! If you look at the dyno charts from many of these supposed HP/TQ increases, they are typically around 5%-7% at peak rpm ranges…….guess what, 5% is a standard deviation even amoungst mfg dynos and the most important item is……these “expert tuners” (at least most) do not have or choose not to test their results (in comparison to the oem intakes) during actual vehicle motion (or simulation- such as a wind tunnel) as the oems do. What many view as an issue (is the plastic intake tube with its noise canceling design) actually increases air pressure. It is the same hydraulic concept used by fire fighters creating water supply where psi is low. By having the air cross the path at a 90 degree angle, the pressure is increased proportionally. Fire fighters use what is called a “4-way valve” or “Blake Valve” at the hydrant where the water is cycled through the fire engine (pump) and sent back into the valve crossing the water flow at a 90 degree angle. In this case it also acts as a sound canceling device! At low speeds, this can reduce the flow a tad (which is what most “feel”), but in terms of peak hp/tq, a good high flow filter is all that is needed.

Recently, Testand Corporation conducted an ISO standards test on automotive air filters which can be viewed at this link: http://www.dieselbombers.com/chevrol...r-testing.html. All I can say is this explains in detail the reason for

(Arlen) SPICER wrote,

“Now that I am not doing the tests and my objectivity is not necessary, let me explain my motivation. The reason I started this crusade was that I was seeing people spend a lot of money on aftermarket filters based on the word of a salesperson or based on the misleading, incomplete or outright deceiving information printed on boxes and in sales literature. Gentlemen and Ladies, Marketing and the lure of profit is VERY POWERFUL!"

Now about this new marketing hype that if you have a CAI you need a custom program………….hogwash!!!!!! The OEM software system is designed to adjust the fuel mixture up to 10% (25% on the 2000+ mod engines).......that’s more than enough to handle fuel mixture adjustments up to 7,000 foot elevation change! (for high elevations 8,000+ there are oem software programs for those specific applications)...if a custom program is required, it is because the CAI system design is severely flawed.

I would avoid oil impregnated filters. While they have their purpose in off-road applications, Ford/GM/Dodge all have “watch-out” bulletins where the oil has contaminated intake sensors. - they even have a training video for the techs on this (flatratetech.com)- and have personal (OEM/OASIS) documentation on my own vehicle dating back to 1997......& K&N refused to honor their warranty- and it was purchased direct from them back then.

If you look at the dyno charts from many of these supposed HP/TQ increases, they are typically around 5%-7% at peak rpm ranges…….guess what, 5% is a standard deviation even amoungst mfg dynos!"

The oem exhaust systems even at their roll-off from the factory floor in terms of flow have been designed to extract every bit of MPG etc that the factory can obtain..and have been that way in terms of design & construction since the 90's. Any increases that anyone claims in terms of replacement of the system from the manifolds back, is true but only because there exosting system had deficiencies.

For your given year of truck, to install a "True Dual" exhaust system would be illegal.....

A couple of FYI's

1. Your vehicle did not come with nor have available as an option a true/real dual exhaust system.
2. Even though you are exempt from inspections, you are not exempt from the requirement- even US Fish & Game Wardens carry a manual that identifies each vehicle and the required smog equipment, illegal engines changes, etc with pics of how to ID.
3. Any law enforcement officer (including fish & game), EPA inspector, etc. can impound the vehicle and cite it as a gross polluter beause of the "modified Exhaust Sstem"
4. Once cited, a judge will decide if the vehicle is to be scrapped or returned to the owner- and you do not have any opportunity to speak in court- just required to sit & listen.
5. if the vehicle is returned- guess what, now you have to repair and take the vehicle to a federal referee station for the rest of "its life" for a smog inspection & test.

Old 10-28-2012, 02:27 PM
Jigger2020
FTE Legend
The truck in question is in Ontario Canada, its not illegal to have dual exhaust up here beachkid