Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

6.0L Power Stroke Diesel 2003 - 2007 F250, F350 pickup and F350+ Cab Chassis, 2003 - 2005 Excursion and 2003 - 2009 van SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2012, 04:06 PM
New User

Michael Manifold is starting off with a positive reputation.
Michael Manifold mmanifold
Exclamation Transmission

I have an 05 F350 Dually with the 6.0 in it and 94,000 miles. My truck got towed and when I went to pick it up I only have reverse. I put it in drive, 1, 2, or 3 and after a minute I have REVERSE not drive. Tranny goes into reverse just fine when I put the shifter in the reverse position. Fluid looks good not burnt or old. Tried resetting computers by disconnecting the batteries and that didn't work. Any ideas on what might have happened when they towed my truck?
Thanks
Old 10-26-2012, 04:45 PM
Post Fiend

npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.npccpartsman has a spectacular reputation.
Did they tow it by the front end or rear end? Have you had the truck code scanned?

R.I.P. SteveBricks. A friend you always were and ever shall be.

Tim
Old 10-26-2012, 05:55 PM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
If they towed it longer and faster than is allowed with the rear wheels on the ground the trans is now junk and needs to be rebuilt.

There is a one way clutch in the trnas that has no sense of humor about running without lube. Towing with the engine off runs this one way clutch without lube, destroying it.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-26-2012, 06:26 PM
Carpenter Local 745

khadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud ofkhadma has much to be proud of
I NEEDED TO TOW MY BRONCO TO AN EXHAUST SHOP TO COMPLETE AN
ENGINE SWAP. I MADE SURE I WAS AROUND TO SEE THEM HOOK UP
FROM THE REAR OF THE BRONCO.

FLAT TOWING/TOWING WITH REAR ON THE GROUND IS A GOOD WAY TO KILL AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION.

SORRY WE DONʻT HAVE ANY GOOD NEWS FOR YOU.

Join the Hawai'i chapter *HERE*
Old 10-26-2012, 08:11 PM
Elder User

Fulthrotl has a very good reputation on FTE.Fulthrotl has a very good reputation on FTE.Fulthrotl has a very good reputation on FTE.Fulthrotl has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kovalsky View Post
If they towed it longer and faster than is allowed with the rear wheels on the ground the trans is now junk and needs to be rebuilt.

There is a one way clutch in the trnas that has no sense of humor about running without lube. Towing with the engine off runs this one way clutch without lube, destroying it.
eww. sprague clutch? i learned everything i know about them
at the hands of a 390 Husquvarna automatic, circa 1978.
there are a number of things they don't like.

imagine a caged needle bearing, but instead of needles, there
are these little dogbone shaped segments that slip one way,
and jam against each other the other way, preventing the shaft
and housing from turning relative to each other.

the dogbone shape on the bottom has a small edge overhanging.
without lube, that litte overhang splinters off, and then the
dogbones don't jam together and lock.

DON'T RUN THE ENGINE... all you are doing is circulating those
little scraps of metal thru the trans and cooler, if they aren't already.

mark would know more than i about this... all i know is that the
husky would eat them at very bad times... like halfway between
pasadena and lake isabella on a two day enduro...
Apollo 13 home.... just sayin'.....
Old 10-26-2012, 10:29 PM
Senior User

Alex332 is starting off with a positive reputation.
Looks like the tow shop is going to be buying you a new tranny!!! Make sure you get a new cooler too
Bulletproof EGR cooler
Old 10-26-2012, 11:20 PM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
Mark Kovalsky,
Please remind us what the limits are for ground towing.
Thank You for all your help.

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Senior User

strokin83 has a good reputation on FTE.strokin83 has a good reputation on FTE.
Not good. Hope the tow company owns it.
2005 Ford F250 6.OH SOLD
1994 Ford F-350 "Ranchin Truck" IDI with ford turbo. Auto.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:26 AM
Post Fiend

Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.Yahiko has a spectacular reputation.
They should know that they can't tow it that
way. You may have to take then to small claims court.

Sean
6.0l Forum Map : Ask me About It
Old 10-27-2012, 05:08 AM
Post Fiend

Mark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputationMark Kovalsky has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yahiko View Post
Mark Kovalsky,
Please remind us what the limits are for ground towing.
Thank You for all your help.

Sean
I don't remember, the limits are different for different transmissions. That's why I referred to the owner's manual, it's in there.

“The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.” ― Neil deGrasse Tyson
Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 AM
New User

Michael Manifold is starting off with a positive reputation.
Michael Manifold mmanifold
I wasn't there when they picked the truck up, but I think the guy said he popped the tranny linkage and put it in neutral from under the truck. Don't know if he towed it from the front or the back, all I know is truck was fine and now I have a truck that only wants to go in reverse even when I put it in drive, checked the linkage and the linkage is back on right. Come to find out my front hubs were locked in as well, but unless the transfer case was engaged I don't think this would have any affect on it.
Thanks for any feedback
Old 10-27-2012, 07:06 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 6.0L Power Stroke Diesel