Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Super Duty & Heavy Duty 1999 to current Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2012, 12:42 PM
Elder User

davbeisner is starting off with a positive reputation.
Best budget tire?

I recently moved to the Rocky mountains and my job will probably include pulling people out of ditches from time to time. My truck's tires are currently about 40-50% tread life left, and they're not off-road tires. I do have chains, but I'm thinking I'll need some new tires come December or January when the snow really hits!

What's the best budget tire (prefer under $200/each) for off-road/snow conditions for these trucks? I'm looking at one from BF Goodrich that looks pretty good, but it's also a little outside my preferred price range.

What do y'all use?

David -- Ask me about ADVOCARE
'06 F-250 CC 4x4 SRW 8' box, blue spring, SGII, high-idle, DieselSite Coolant Filter, Final Charge EC-1 Coolant, Rotella T6 5W-40 Synth
Old 10-26-2012, 01:29 PM
Elder User

maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.
It would help to know what size...is this for the 2006 in your sig? That means 17" minimum so your budget will be tough. Are you willing to order tires online and get them mounted locally? That means no road hazard sometimes but it's usually the cheapeset option.

I got a set of Goodyear Duratracs last year for a shade over your budget going that route, but that was only after a couple nice rebates. What BFG's are you looking at?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:05 PM
Elder User

Oops, sorry about that... Yeah, 265/70R17s are what's on there now. I've been looking online at DiscountTire and at Amazon.com... And I'm definitely cool with ordering online and having them mounted locally.

There's a link to the BFGs in the opening thread...

'06 F-250 CC 4x4 SRW 8' box, blue spring, SGII, high-idle, DieselSite Coolant Filter, Final Charge EC-1 Coolant, Rotella T6 5W-40 Synth
Old 10-26-2012, 02:13 PM
Postmaster

bbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to beholdbbender85 is a splendid one to behold
brandon.c.bender bbender785
i'd say pick a Treadwright tire, probably with Kedge Grip for your application.

'04 F350 CCLB 6.0L, 4" turbo back, EGR delete, Atlas 40 FICM, blue spring, SGII, 2.8" minipack,
285's on 16x10's, DVD/audio goodies
Old 10-26-2012, 03:35 PM
Elder User

maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.maverick22 has a good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbeisner View Post
There's a link to the BFGs in the opening thread...
Ahh, missed that! I've never had the KO's but I've never heard anything very bad about them, a lot of guys swear by them. I will point out though that if you use this truck to tow with I would double check and make sure that's a load range E tire, I'm not sure it is. Check the weight rating but I'm thinking that might be a D or even a C rating - meaning it might be questionable even holding the truck weight let alone anything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbender85 View Post
i'd say pick a Treadwright tire, probably with Kedge Grip for your application.
I looked hard at those but the retreads just scared me. Have you ever tried them?
Old 10-26-2012, 06:01 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud of
Me and several guys down here in Texas are running the Treadwright tires. We LOVE them. American company, made in America and they stand behind their products. Friend had some mounted a couple of months ago, and the guy who did the mounting (60+ yrs old and years in the business) could not tell they were re-treads. Nobody I know has ever had a problem, and the 4x4 magazines give them rave reviews. I'm buying another set soon. Wish they would become a site sponsor so I wouldn't have to feel guilty about raving about them.

265/70R17 WARDEN A/T (E) are currently $118 PER TIRE. It is a clone of the BFG.
2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, 4" turbo back, AIS, 910 Springs, Melling M208, HPx, FRx, Bellowed, Hutched, V coded, AIH/EBPV/foil delete, F350 rear sway, Derale tranny pan, drilled/slotted, T444e water pump, Fumoto, Glowshift TM/DV - EGT fuel and boost, 240k All modifications installed by ME!
Old 10-26-2012, 06:44 PM
Post Fiend

acf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputationacf6 has a superb reputation
miles.degrandi
Cooper S/T Maxx. Excellent tire, have 12k on my winter set and havent noticed any tread loss. Awesome in snow, rain, mud, sand, you name it... i just keep them on my winter set because they are not made in big sizes
coming soon: BPD water pump, Dieselsite HPOP, running for more than a week

Old 10-26-2012, 06:45 PM
Elder User

Wow, that's a good price... I'm currently looking at the General Grabber A/T 2, and the Nitto studdables... Though I don't know what Studdable means! :-) Both are right at $200/tire.

Old 10-26-2012, 07:13 PM
Posting Guru

gr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant futuregr8scott72 has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicmike View Post
Me and several guys down here in Texas are running the Treadwright tires. We LOVE them. American company, made in America and they stand behind their products. Friend had some mounted a couple of months ago, and the guy who did the mounting (60+ yrs old and years in the business) could not tell they were re-treads. Nobody I know has ever had a problem, and the 4x4 magazines give them rave reviews. I'm buying another set soon. Wish they would become a site sponsor so I wouldn't have to feel guilty about raving about them.

265/70R17 WARDEN A/T (E) are currently $118 PER TIRE. It is a clone of the BFG.
How is the longevity with those tires? With as few miles as I put on my Excursion any more, those will probably be my next tires. (Or their mud tires.)

Scott
2000 Excursion XLT 4x4 V10 4.30, BTS tranny, 6.0L tranny cooler, Scan Gauge II, 285/75/16 BFG AT KOs, ProComp springs 22210 front and 22415 rear, Rancho RS9000XL shocks, Powerslot slotted rotors w/ Hawk SuperDuty pads up front, Hawk SuperDuty pads on the rear stock rotors, Optima Red Top Battery, 05 headlights, F250 grill (In the 200k club now!)
Old 10-26-2012, 07:41 PM
Postmaster

galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.galaxie641 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Went with Treadwright in that size for the F250 and the BFG TA/KO tread design without Kedge guard, been running through about 8" of snow with mud underneath today and yesterday and they have been working great. They will get them to you in a few days since they are in SD as long as they aren't back ordered. Ordered a set for the 450 a few days ago and they already made it down today.

So far have 4K miles on them and they are great, tire shop guys were also very impressed with them for being recaps.
'08 CVPI
'09 F150 5.4L
'10 Mustang GT
Old 10-26-2012, 09:29 PM
Proud Sheepdog

Nicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud ofNicmike has much to be proud of
The rubber they use lasts a long time. Most of the guys I know are getting 50-60k out of the Treadwrights. I'm going with the Guard Dogs on a second set of rims/tires for my X. They will be used for camping/hunting only, and will last a very long time. I have my highway tire set that will see most of the miles on my truck.
2001 Excursion 4x4 7.3L, 4" turbo back, AIS, 910 Springs, Melling M208, HPx, FRx, Bellowed, Hutched, V coded, AIH/EBPV/foil delete, F350 rear sway, Derale tranny pan, drilled/slotted, T444e water pump, Fumoto, Glowshift TM/DV - EGT fuel and boost, 240k All modifications installed by ME!
Old 10-27-2012, 08:53 AM
New User

lexysdad04 is starting off with a positive reputation.
i like getting my tires at sams club or costco right now costco has the bf rugged for $193 plus $15 install and they come with lifetime ballance and rotation as well as road hazzard and I know for a fact they stand behind their road hazzard, 2 weeks after getting new tires my wife gets a nail on the sidewall well costco gave me a new tire just had to pay the $15 install oh they also sent a tow truck out free of charge to put on the spare so that we could bring it in at our convenience
costco has a instant $70 discount on michlnns

sams club does the same thing as costco their pricing is within a few dollars and right now they have instant $50 rebates on bfg and $60 on goodyr
Old 10-27-2012, 09:19 AM
Elder User

Wow, that's good to know! I'm about 2 hours from a sams club, so might be worth my time... Costcos about 5 hours away
Old 10-27-2012, 10:05 AM
Temporarily Deactivated

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by davbeisner View Post
Wow, that's a good price... I'm currently looking at the General Grabber A/T 2, and the Nitto studdables... Though I don't know what Studdable means! :-) Both are right at $200/tire.
That means they have holes in them for studs if you want them.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 AM
New User

tow6327 is starting off with a positive reputation.
joe walden sadydfd6327
i put trail cutters on my 250 and they are good with alot of tread and they are LT's. they where only $85.00 a tire and they are studdable
Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Super Duty & Heavy Duty