Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Excursion - King of SUVs 2000 - 2005 Ford Excursion

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-26-2012, 12:08 PM
Senior User

XbigXredX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Engine swap V8 or V10? What to do?

Hi all,

I have a 2000 Excursion with a V10 currently in it. The motor is toast and it needs to be replaced (spun bearing). Been having some issues finding a used V10 and my mechanic wants to put a V8 in it. He says the V8 is easier to find and will save us money in the install and rebuild.

1- Will the V8 get better gas mileage?
2- Will putting a V8 in reduce resale value?
3- Any other thoughts on this swap?

Thanks for looking and thanks for any help!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:26 PM
Senior User

king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.
Quote:
Originally Posted by XbigXredX View Post
Hi all,

I have a 2000 Excursion with a V10 currently in it. The motor is toast and it needs to be replaced (spun bearing). Been having some issues finding a used V10 and my mechanic wants to put a V8 in it. He says the V8 is easier to find and will save us money in the install and rebuild.

Depending on if you're towing or not... you wont see much of a gain either way.

Yes

No idea on difficulty, or where you live... I've seen V10 drivetrains on craigslist for 800$

Thanks for looking and thanks for any help!
If it's not your everyday driver.. pull the engine... have it rebuilt!
Old 10-26-2012, 12:30 PM
Senior User

neilc88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.neilc88 is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Eco-boost the Ex. That is the way to go if you have to replace it.
Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM
Elder User

1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold
How about finding a Supercharged 5.4L lightning motor?

Otherwise just have the crank turned on the V-10 and install new crank and rod bearings! then new chains!

Enjoying Silver Lake Sand Dunes!
Old 10-26-2012, 02:26 PM
Senior User

cay5628 has a very good reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a very good reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a very good reputation on FTE.cay5628 has a very good reputation on FTE.
Mark Walton
Being the (proud) owner of a V10 Excursion I'm a little biased.... my vote would be fix your existing V10. I think you'd be happier in the long run. It's doubtful you'd see better mileage from a V8, but I don't know how you drive or what you use the Excursion for.

-Mark
2007 F350 CC Lariat 4x4 6.0L (Daily Driver) Blue spring, coolant filter, leveled, SCT w/Gearhead tunes, FICM by Ed (PHP80) Front E-Locker, Rr Grizzly Locker, SG II, Autometer gages, B&W GN hitch, Buckstop bumper w/Smittybilt 12K Winch, Banks Exh, Trf Flow 46 Gal tank, Airlift Bags/Comp, Bulletproof Diesel EGR, Hvy Duty Oil Cooler, and water pump, ARP studs, Ford gaskets and heads (4/7/14)
2005 Excursion Ltd 4x4 6.8L V10 (Road Trip King) leveled, airlift bags, ob air, Hellwig Rr Swaybar, Banks headers & exhaust, SCT w/5 Star tunes, Buckstop bumper w/Smittybilt 12K Winch
Old 10-26-2012, 07:48 PM
Elder User

1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold1 Excursion camper is a splendid one to behold
I really do think rebuilding the V-10 is the way to go. I would also suggest a new oil pump while your in there and maybe even new cams I think someone make HP cams for the V-10, but I`m not sure. now would also be the time to swap out the EXH. manifold bolts and maybe a set of new headers!

Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 PM

Tom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputationTom has a superb reputation
TomB985

Possibly, but it would be a minimal increase if any.

Yup. Guys like me wouldn't even consider buying it. 5.4L Excursions are rare, and most don't really want one.

Yup. How'd this one break? How many miles?

Currently truckless.
Most recently: 2013 F150 XLT 4x4 EcoBoost
Moderators, Guidelines, and How They are Enforced
Old 10-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Posting Guru

Kdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to behold
After all the time and hassle it wont be worth it. You will need to change the PCM, and all the wiring meaning the entire harness. The transmissions should interchange with the PCM but I am not 100% on that. Re-build the V10!
Shop around, the V10 isnt hard to re-build, its a 5.4 with 2 cylinders added.

1939 Ford COE custom. "Ford-Tuff"
Old 10-26-2012, 08:32 PM
Temporarily Deactivated

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
You coulda had a V-8!...............but I wouldn't want one, not here anyway.
Old 10-26-2012, 09:49 PM
Elder User

OOH OOH OOH!!! If you want to do a motor swap how about a CUMMINS conversion?

Old 10-26-2012, 10:51 PM
Senior User

XbigXredX is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Ok, so for all the replies, here are some answers-

This is a second X for the family, my main X is still a V10 running well (crossed fingers).

This one likely would just get fixed and sold.

I looked up the values on a V8 and V10 on KBB and it doesn't seem as if the value is hurt substantially. Seems the difference between values on equal trucks is roughly $300-$500 overall.

I happen to believe that the V8 over the V10 may actually be a selling point in the current market. Even though the V8 may not save a substantial amount of gas over the V10 many people believe it does just because a V8 is smaller than a V10. And as everyone is so gas conscious at the moment it might actually help.

@neilc88 I wish I could find an eco boost motor, but it is really unlikely.

@1 excursion camper A lightning motor would be pretty damned awesome, but again really unlikely tbh

@crazy001 was winter, snow on the ground, coming uphill, minding my business, tires started to spin, leaned on her a bit, tach hit 3500 and the engine banged and that was all she wrote, spun a bearing. 156k on her.

@kdr358 Have a Triton 5.4 complete with all wiring harness and pcm all ready to go, half the price of the v10 if I could find one. Which for 6 months I haven't been able to do. Not for any reasonable prices anyway.

@1 excursion camper I would do a diesel swap in a hot second if I could find a truck to do it with. I don't even care about the hassle involved I would still do it. But I'd need almost everything and that is all but impossible to find anywhere, so I am sool.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:57 PM
Senior User

BroncoRN is starting off with a positive reputation.
Its not the price of the v8 vs v10 its the marketability. Most people looking for a this truck have done some research...
1999 Honda Shadow Aero 1100 vtwin - sold
1998 Lincoln Mark VIII
Old 10-26-2012, 11:07 PM
Senior User

king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.king-david has a very good reputation on FTE.
And in my years, one thing I've learned... KBB means absolutely nothing if you have a vehicle someone wants, or doesn't want.
Old 10-26-2012, 11:51 PM
Posting Guru

Kdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to beholdKdr358 is a splendid one to behold
If you plan on selling it have you looked around for a used V10? Most people looking at these trucks really dont really mind that its a V10. Everyone knows the 5.4 is rather under-powered for a truck just under 9,000lbs. Add that plus gas, family, luggage possibly a TT it might be a little tough on the motor. I think that explaining why the motor was swapped will raise other questions. I vote Keep the V10, A set of bearings and polish the crank and you should be good for around 1,000.00.

1939 Ford COE custom. "Ford-Tuff"
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Temporarily Deactivated

EXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputationEXv10 has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by XbigXredX View Post
Ok, so for all the replies, here are some answers-

This is a second X for the family, my main X is still a V10 running well (crossed fingers).

This one likely would just get fixed and sold.

I looked up the values on a V8 and V10 on KBB and it doesn't seem as if the value is hurt substantially. Seems the difference between values on equal trucks is roughly $300-$500 overall.

I happen to believe that the V8 over the V10 may actually be a selling point in the current market. Even though the V8 may not save a substantial amount of gas over the V10 many people believe it does just because a V8 is smaller than a V10. And as everyone is so gas conscious at the moment it might actually help.

@neilc88 I wish I could find an eco boost motor, but it is really unlikely.

@1 excursion camper A lightning motor would be pretty damned awesome, but again really unlikely tbh

@crazy001 was winter, snow on the ground, coming uphill, minding my business, tires started to spin, leaned on her a bit, tach hit 3500 and the engine banged and that was all she wrote, spun a bearing. 156k on her.

@kdr358 Have a Triton 5.4 complete with all wiring harness and pcm all ready to go, half the price of the v10 if I could find one. Which for 6 months I haven't been able to do. Not for any reasonable prices anyway.

@1 excursion camper I would do a diesel swap in a hot second if I could find a truck to do it with. I don't even care about the hassle involved I would still do it. But I'd need almost everything and that is all but impossible to find anywhere, so I am sool.
That sounds like you are trying to convince yourself of something. If one person agreed with you you would be sold on it but most would dis-agree with it. Most people want something that gets out of it's own way.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:18 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Super Duty/Heavy Duty > Excursion - King of SUVs