1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Not much to say, just wanted to say Hello!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 10:05 PM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 11 Posts
Not much to say, just wanted to say Hello!

Hey Everybody!
I have been pretty busy with work and a little free time to plug away at my AOD tranny rebuild.
Still bummed that I didn't get to Doc's, but that's water under the bridge now.
I haven't posted much on the build thread, because...well...how much is there to post about a stock rebuilt motor...and I am almost done with the tranny...
I actually have enjoyed the tranny rebuild..I have done alot of upgrades to it.
But won't feel success until it moves the truck down the road and back.
I will be explaining more on that after its together.
I want it done and closed up. I wouldn't mind taking it to a shop and have it checked. I'm not even sure I can do that..
So anyways...I just wanted to keep in touch!

Old 10-25-2012, 10:33 PM
bobj49f2
Hotshot
Received 2,051 Likes on 802 Posts
I would think you could have it dynoed at well equipped tranny shop. Since you did the work they'd probably have you sign a waiver so it blows apart they won't be liable.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:11 PM
ben73058
Logistics Pro
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
Hey Jeff,
Fingers crossed over here for your AOD! You have the satisfaction
of doing it yourself - go for it. Just get the pressure right on the TV cable! I'd check that one 3 times before starting up.

Oh yea - Hi Jeff!

Ben in Austin

Old 10-26-2012, 04:52 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well i was beginning to think we'd lost another one ............. at least your making some progress there jeffro . every time i get started lately i have something come up or a lack of funds it seems ( due to the issues i told you about before ) . started to clean up the garage some more , and clean and paint some smaller parts last sunday and dain another soccer game and such for the grandkids ............... cab is still in the shop . maybe sometime i'll get to run along the road with you and others ............ oh and dainnit it got cold out and i'm just not ready for this !!!!!

Old 10-26-2012, 07:05 AM
GreatNorthWoods
Lead Driver
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It takes some courage to even attempt an automatic rebuild. I applaud you. I did a powerglide years ago. It came out okay but I was on pins and needles until it actually moved the car. The PG was pretty simple but I don't think I would attempt an AOD. Wish you the best outcome!

Old 10-26-2012, 11:01 AM
old_dan
Fleet Mechanic

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Hey Jeff,

I'm glad you're still chipping away at the truck!!

Go for it....be sure to pour a quart or so of the right kind of ATF into the torque converter before you put it in....you'll get the fluid pumping a lot faster that way.

My progress has come to a grinding halt....work is busy and we've had stuff going on just about every weekend. I hope I can get out there on Saturday afternoon to work on my rear shock mounts!!

Dan

Old 10-26-2012, 12:30 PM
48fordcoe
Elder User
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I had AO4D rebuild at trans shop I had to bring it back to fix there sh-ty work for the next 19 weeks . I would pick up my on Friday and return on Monday for 19 weeks on the last time I pick it up I drove straight to a nought shop to pull the trans and rebuild it . In total that trans cost my over $6000. I took then to court and won ,guess what you never see the money so what good is court if you win and lose at the same time...so if I had to have tans rebuild I think I would do it myself

Old 10-26-2012, 07:58 PM
underthebridgejim
FTE fan
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Hello Jeff, big "RIGHT ON" for doing the AOD, I know what you meen about not feeling success untill it moves the truck. My C4 is still sitting on my bench, done, waiting for me to get healthy enough to put it in. Its ok the old one still works. Its good to see your post.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:53 PM
bobbytnm
Roast em' if you got 'em
Received 3,781 Likes on 1,822 Posts
Good to hear from you Jeff
From what I understand the key to an automatic tranny rebuild is cleanliness. Let me know how it turns out. I'm contemplating buying a 97 F-350 4x4 with bad tranny and was toying with the idea of tackling the rebuild.

Good luck
Bobby

Old 10-27-2012, 12:02 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by bobj49f2
I would think you could have it dynoed at well equipped tranny shop. Since you did the work they'd probably have you sign a waiver so it blows apart they won't be liable.
Hi Bob! No dyno, just tell me if it works or not.

Originally Posted by ben73058
Hey Jeff,
Fingers crossed over here for your AOD! You have the satisfaction
of doing it yourself - go for it. Just get the pressure right on the TV cable! I'd check that one 3 times before starting up.

Oh yea - Hi Jeff!

Ben in Austin
I will, for sure, have that cable set right! Hi Ben!

Originally Posted by 55 f350
well i was beginning to think we'd lost another one ............. at least your making some progress there jeffro . every time i get started lately i have something come up or a lack of funds it seems ( due to the issues i told you about before ) . started to clean up the garage some more , and clean and paint some smaller parts last sunday and dain another soccer game and such for the grandkids ............... cab is still in the shop . maybe sometime i'll get to run along the road with you and others ............ oh and dainnit it got cold out and i'm just not ready for this !!!!!
Still here Kevin! Ain't goin anywhere! Them Grandkids are awesome cuz you can give them back when you've had enough! But thats hard to achieve.
Now I now why Old guys have the cool rides! It takes forever to get them done! HaHa!

Originally Posted by GreatNorthWoods
It takes some courage to even attempt an automatic rebuild. I applaud you. I did a powerglide years ago. It came out okay but I was on pins and needles until it actually moved the car. The PG was pretty simple but I don't think I would attempt an AOD. Wish you the best outcome!
Courage no, I figure it's no good the way it is. Tear it open and learn something! I bet it's not much different than the PG. Thanks Vern!

Originally Posted by old_dan
Hey Jeff,

I'm glad you're still chipping away at the truck!!

Go for it....be sure to pour a quart or so of the right kind of ATF into the torque converter before you put it in....you'll get the fluid pumping a lot faster that way.

My progress has come to a grinding halt....work is busy and we've had stuff going on just about every weekend. I hope I can get out there on Saturday afternoon to work on my rear shock mounts!!

Dan
Still chipping Dan! Just being thorough, careful, and clean doin the tranny.
10-4 on the ATF...thanks

Originally Posted by 48fordcoe
I had AO4D rebuild at trans shop I had to bring it back to fix there sh-ty work for the next 19 weeks . I would pick up my on Friday and return on Monday for 19 weeks on the last time I pick it up I drove straight to a nought shop to pull the trans and rebuild it . In total that trans cost my over $6000. I took then to court and won ,guess what you never see the money so what good is court if you win and lose at the same time...so if I had to have tans rebuild I think I would do it myself
That is really unfortunate you had to go through an expensive mess like that.
And it's true...who really won...
I love to learn, but that is the wrong way...ouch!
Thanks!

Originally Posted by underthebridgejim
Hello Jeff, big "RIGHT ON" for doing the AOD, I know what you meen about not feeling success untill it moves the truck. My C4 is still sitting on my bench, done, waiting for me to get healthy enough to put it in. Its ok the old one still works. Its good to see your post.
hang in there Jim! I was glad when you decided to rebuild the C-4.
Something to be proud of, for sure!

Originally Posted by bobbytnm
Good to hear from you Jeff
From what I understand the key to an automatic tranny rebuild is cleanliness. Let me know how it turns out. I'm contemplating buying a 97 F-350 4x4 with bad tranny and was toying with the idea of tackling the rebuild.

Good luck
Bobby
Cleanliness and patience...maybe more of the second. Yes I have spent so much time on cleanliness....Pretty cool to have clean hands after rebuilding one! Vaseline is used for assembly and it keeps your hands soft. I can't stress the fact...there are some razor sharp edges in there...

Good to hear from ya'll !

Old 10-27-2012, 12:16 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Hey Jeff glad to see you back up an fixin'. Almost sled time, don't diss the Yamaha's. They need lovin' too, Take care Bud

Old 10-27-2012, 12:20 AM
Jeff and Nicolle
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by yamagrant
Hey Jeff glad to see you back up an fixin'. Almost sled time, don't diss the Yamaha's. They need lovin' too, Take care Bud
Hi Grant!
That's wierd!!! i was thinking about our sled conversation, yesterday!
I am gonna be digging into those soon! I need a ride!

Old 10-27-2012, 12:50 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Hi Grant!
Well, if we get some good white, I may have to load my sled in one of our truck's and have the driver drop me off in Pekin an we can go for a blast.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:57 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Originally Posted by Jeff and Nicolle
Hi Grant!
It's snowin here as we speak

Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 AM
yamagrant
Lead Driver
Sorry fella's for the Hijack

Quick Reply: Not much to say, just wanted to say Hello!