Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Toyo country ATs vs BFG ATs

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2012, 05:51 PM
Shwan_89HD
Senior User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Toyo country ATs vs BFG ATs

Gonna lift my 89 F250 2wd with a 6 inch skyjacker and im still undecided which tires to get. The size of the tire im gonna get is 315/75/R16 which are 35s. I love the way both tires look and have read great reviews on both. Ive seen more BFGs on these OBS fords, ive yet to seen toyos on a OBS ford. Which tires do yall think are best??? Im gonna be doing light to none offroading. Its mainly for looks. Toyo Tires Part 300360 - LT315/75R16, Open Country A/T Tire BF Goodrich Tires Part 33393 - 305x70R-16, All-Terrain T/A KO Tire

Old 10-25-2012, 11:24 PM
GNR22
Fabri-cobbler
Received 515 Likes on 340 Posts
If you ask me, I don't think either of those are "best". I like the Cooper ST and the Cooper STT. The STT is a little more aggressive looking, but it's more of a mud tire. The ST is more of an all terrain but still pretty aggressive. The General Grabber is a pretty good tire too. The BFG ATs suck after a couple thousand miles. I've never had Toyo tires on a truck so I don't know how their ATs are.

Old 10-25-2012, 11:36 PM
GoinBoarding
Cargo Master
Received 161 Likes on 129 Posts
I have had a very different experience with the BFG ATs. I have 45k on them, I didn't rotate often enough, so two of them are pretty worn (nearly bald on the center of the tread, over inflated and ran on rear axle for too long), but two others (the ones that spent a lot of miles on the front axle) have ~40% tread left. Drove around last night/today in the ice/snow in Wyoming and had no issues. I don't run balloon tires though, no beaches around here.

Anyway, just wanted to share a positive experience with the BFGs. Worn out they're better than the Dueler ATs that came on my truck, and better than the new Goodyear HTs I had a few years back.

No experience with the Toyos though.

Old 10-26-2012, 08:04 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd never buy the BFGs, I know several people that had them and didn't get very much life out of them. That being said, they are still a popular tire and looking on tire websites they still seem to get mostly good reviews.

A guy at my work had the Toyos and they seemed pretty good, but they were stock size on a 1/2 ton Chevy. 35s on a 3/4 ton could be a totally different story.

My truck had Nitto Terra Grapplers when I bought it and I was very pleased with them, so I just put on a brand new set yesterday. I did go up in size from 285/65/18 to 295/70/18. (35x11.50)

Old 10-26-2012, 10:34 AM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 33x12.5x15 General Grabber AT2's on my truck. Did a little off roading and they grip very well. No slippage on wet roads from rain.

Old 10-26-2012, 11:48 AM
ravens fan
Senior User
I second the General Grabber at2's i just got them on my truck and love them the pattern is similar to BFG a/t and the grabbers are a little cheaper..... but i have only heard good things of bfg a/t, i know guys that swear by them

Old 10-26-2012, 12:02 PM
Shwan_89HD
Senior User
Originally Posted by GNR22
If you ask me, I don't think either of those are "best". I like the Cooper ST and the Cooper STT. The STT is a little more aggressive looking, but it's more of a mud tire. The ST is more of an all terrain but still pretty aggressive. The General Grabber is a pretty good tire too. The BFG ATs suck after a couple thousand miles. I've never had Toyo tires on a truck so I don't know how their ATs are.
I havent looked into the Cooper ST, but ill check it out. I didnt say they were best but there my favorite tires in terms of looks. But like i stated i havent seen toyo tires on a OBS ford. Just newer pickups

Old 10-26-2012, 12:03 PM
Shwan_89HD
Senior User
Originally Posted by kd0axs
I'd never buy the BFGs, I know several people that had them and didn't get very much life out of them. That being said, they are still a popular tire and looking on tire websites they still seem to get mostly good reviews.

A guy at my work had the Toyos and they seemed pretty good, but they were stock size on a 1/2 ton Chevy. 35s on a 3/4 ton could be a totally different story.

My truck had Nitto Terra Grapplers when I bought it and I was very pleased with them, so I just put on a brand new set yesterday. I did go up in size from 285/65/18 to 295/70/18. (35x11.50)
Ya im currently running 285/75/16 Nitto terra grapplers on my truck. and i like them but gonna try something new.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:06 PM
Shwan_89HD
Senior User
Originally Posted by minnesotafisherman
I have 33x12.5x15 General Grabber AT2's on my truck. Did a little off roading and they grip very well. No slippage on wet roads from rain.
I just looked up the general AT2 and i like the looks of it. How long has it lasted you? and are they good highway tires?

Old 10-26-2012, 04:18 PM
minnesotafisherman
Posting Guru
Yeah they are good tires. Have had all 4 for a couple months now. Very little to no indication of any tread wear yet.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:04 PM
Bankrupter
Elder User
I bought my truck with the toyos on it and they have been a ok tire. Plowed 2 seasons and they see off road and mud regularly, as I am a logger by trade. We weel into most sites. I have had the Bf's on two other trucks and was not impressed with the over all preformance of them. So based on a question of just the two... Toyo. They have about 40K on them now and Ill need to replace after plowing this year.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:25 PM
Shwan_89HD
Senior User
Originally Posted by Bankrupter
I bought my truck with the toyos on it and they have been a ok tire. Plowed 2 seasons and they see off road and mud regularly, as I am a logger by trade. We weel into most sites. I have had the Bf's on two other trucks and was not impressed with the over all preformance of them. So based on a question of just the two... Toyo. They have about 40K on them now and Ill need to replace after plowing this year.
This is the first i hear of someone having toyos on a OBS Ford, so would you buy another set of toyos?

Old 10-27-2012, 12:44 AM
Bankrupter
Elder User
Originally Posted by Shwan_89HD
This is the first i hear of someone having toyos on a OBS Ford, so would you buy another set of toyos?
Based on price performance and tread life in that order, No. Not a bad tire but for the cost there are better.

Old 10-27-2012, 12:58 AM
ReadOrDie_WoW
Senior User
I hate both with a passion, Toyo mainly makes something thats good in real loose dirt/sand, but get shreaded in even slightly rocky areas (including loose rocks, lol).

The BFGs are the same, just a tad bit sturdier (assuming the BFG your talking about is the "classic" design, if its the newer ones [that come stock on some trucks these days] those are even worse).

As a guy who drive as much off road as on road (I work off-road in places where we might have a even build a temporary "road"), I can honestly say that I only buy the Timberline A/T anymore (not the A/T2 lol), I've spend a lot of money in the pursuit of a good semi off-road tire, and the Timblerline A/T has his the mark for me.

Other than that, I would strongly suggest looking into any commercial truck tire (like the Timberline A/T is), when its all said and done, you get what you pay for...

EDIT: I noticed someone suggested the General Grabber, this is the same company that makes the Dayton Timblerline, the grabber really is a good tire, but its more of a loose material tire (like the Toyo's and BFGs), the General brand also has a "knock-off" of the Timberline series, though I can't remember what they call it.

Old 10-27-2012, 01:04 AM
dundonrl
5th Wheeling
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
something else to think about.. the BFG A/T's are severe snow rated, where the Toyo's aren't.. (means you don't have to chain up when chains are required)

other tires that are severe snow rated are General Grabber AT2 and Goodyear Wrangler Silent Armor.

Quick Reply: Toyo country ATs vs BFG ATs