Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Arizona Chapter
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

Arizona Chapter Join Chapter, Leader: kermmydog

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-24-2012, 07:58 PM
New User

CoyoteBevel is starting off with a positive reputation.
460 E7TE on a F3TE Engine

Can I use '87 460 E7TE Heads on an Engine that had '93 460 F3TE Heads and what will the performance difference be in terms of fuel milage, torque, Horsepower, etc?
Old 10-24-2012, 09:28 PM
ALIEN FTE AZ CL

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
You might check on the 460 board, but it seems to me you can't use carb heads on FI the manifolds are different. So if they are both FI heads your OK. Gas Mileage & 460 don't go together. The cheapest torque improvement is going with a 3 key timing chain set & advancing the cam 4 degrees past TDC. When I had my 6 F250 4x4 460 C-6 that was what I did & the increase was very noticeable plus I raised my vacuum to 17-19 inches at idle. The next improvement in torque came with a Hughes HD Towing torque converter.
Welcome to FTE & the Arizona Chapter. Where are you located?
Craig
Old 10-25-2012, 03:19 PM
New User

460 E7TE Heads on an Engine that had F3TE Heads

Thanks for the reply Craig,
I'm in Tucson near Three Points. Both heads are off FI engines but the combustion chambers are configured slightly different and the intake valves on the E heads are 1.95 as opposed to 2.01 on the F heads. I had to nurse the truck home from New Mexico stopping every 20 miles or so and refill the cooling system after cool down. I know I got the engine very hot and when I pulled the heads, they were both cracked between the intake and exhaust valves on the front cylinders. The problem was the left bank head gasket and was given the E heads for replacement. Luckely, the engine block wasn't damaged and hopefully new gaskets and reworked heads will get me back on the road. Any more help you can give will sure be appreciated...................Ben
Old 10-25-2012, 05:00 PM
Post Fiend

Bill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputation
Three Points is south west of the 2ucson area... lol Welcome to the AZ Chapter Ben!

I will see if Garbz can give some info about your FI 460 heads.
Old 10-25-2012, 06:43 PM
New User

Thanks Bill,
I appreciate any help I can get on this. I've got the heads ready to go to the shop but want to be sure they'll work before I drop the bucks......................Ben
Old 10-26-2012, 07:26 PM
ALIEN FTE AZ CL

kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.kermmydog has a spectacular reputation.
If my memory is correct there will be a compression difference. The 1.95s I believe will up your compression. which is a good thing for performance. Aren't the 1.95s a smaller combustion chamber?? I think so.
My mind is not as sharp as it once was. Since I sold my 86 F250 I don't stay on top of the 460 anymore. I moved my time to the Dodge V10 which I have & love in my Ford F250 replacement.
Craig
Old 10-27-2012, 04:48 PM
New User

Gaskets

Thanks to all the replys,
According to everything I've researched about the two 460 heads, is they are interchangable with a slight difference in combustion chamber cc's. The big difference is in flow patterns and quench. I've decided to use the E7TE heads because I've got them and the F3TE heads are cracked between the intake and exhaust valves on both forward cylinders. With the intakes on the E7 heads being smaller, I hope to gain fuel mileage without lossing torque or horsepower. If not, oh well, the 460 is a torque engine anyway and at least I'll be back on the road.
The big question I'm putting out there is which gasket set do I use? The '91 for the E7 heads or the '94 for the engine? I don't think there's a difference, but I don't really know. Any help will be appreciated. I've already sent the heads to the shop..................Ben
Old 10-28-2012, 12:44 AM
Post Fiend

Bill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputationBill W has a superb reputation
What shop did you go with, Ben? i just had my 390 built by Matt at MachineWorks. took a while but they did a great job. i would match your head gaskets to what you have now.
Old 10-28-2012, 08:06 PM
New User

Hey Bill, I went with Louie at Motorworks and Machine. He helped me with my '23 "T" Bucket build and rebuilt the engine in it when I spun the bearings. He's always been helpful, priced right and quick. As for the gaskets, I pulled a search on both Summit and Jegs and there seems to be a break between '92 & '93 and I'm putting '91 heads on a '94 block. The heads are supposedly interchangable yet neither site shows a head set for a '94 that even looks close to my application. The FelPro '91 HS8558PT6 looks exactly like what I pulled of but the application detail shows an end year of '92. I'm more confussed now than ever.....................Ben
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 PM
Post Fiend

I would inspect every little thing, every water jacket, every oil passage, to make SURE they all align up to your block or your old head, check all sides, intake, exhaust and surface of the head just to be sure gaskets don't cover anything important.

i would worry less about the combustion chamber size.
Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 PM
New User

That's 10/4 Bill, My visual inspection of both heads and everything I could find on the spec's of both heads indicate they are identical except for intake valve size. Good advice though. I will do that with the gasket set. I'll let you know how it all turns out............Ben
Old 10-28-2012, 10:11 PM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Regional Chapters > Southwest Region > Arizona Chapter