Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

2007+ Expedition & Navigator 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-22-2012, 01:41 PM
New User

jhfishdad is starting off with a positive reputation.
facebook.com/jhfishdad
Expedition towing power loss, no codes

Have a 2003 XLT 4.6L Expedition (160,000mi) that has been awesome, but recently began loosing power at speeds over 45mph (rpms >3000) when towing boat up hill in GA (overdrive off). Runs & shifts smooth w/ no miss fires. Large EGR vacuum line blows off when I floor the gas, but no codes to go by. Researched most forums and can't find answers. I hope you can help.

Here are my readings at idle (and with ACTRON scanner):
EGR line pressure ~ 2PSI (this seems normal back pressure at idle)
idle vacuum test 19psi, increases with higher rpms (no vacuum leaks).
Oxygen Bank 1: 02S11 0.4V, 02S12 0.8V
Oxygen Bank 2: 02S21 0.3V, 02S22 0.7
MAF flow 4.6, Coolant temp: 179 F,
FUEL system 1 closed loop: ST FTRM 3.9%, LTFTRM 7.8%

I ordered an ELMSCAN 5 OBD reader to test engine more before replacing catalytic converters.

Q1) I suspected catalytic converter after it gets hot but how do I test it, what should I look for? When cool the back pressure appears normal.

Q2) How do I find out factory specs on oxygen sensors? they seem ok.

Q3) Does the 2003 Expy have baby cat-convertors or normal ones? I heard baby cats send different signals to computer than normal ones (can't find factory specs).
Old 01-02-2014, 04:44 PM
New User

Morgueman is starting off with a positive reputation.
Did you ever figure your issue out? I have the same problem with power loss when pulling my boat up boat launch ramps. Thanks!
Old 01-03-2014, 07:49 AM
Elder User

heymrdj is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
heymrdjlive
This sounds like a failing cat to me, typically whenever you blow that hose it's a backpressure problem (or a failed egr). 2PSI seems high to me for an idle line pressure, you want to be closer to 1 if I remember correctly, at least under 1.5psi. 2 For most vehicles indicates restriction.

OEM (and OEM like replacements from companies like magnaflow) are dual section and mount both oxygen sensors. I highly recommend these units to the universal ones. But it's also more expensive. A universal is like 250$ per side, the OEM like one is about 700$.
NEW: 2 3/4" pipe with Flowmaster Super 50 Delta Flow Muffler and 3.5"x18" echo tip WOOT
Upcoming:
Dual 16" Troyer performance fans
WAAG grill guard
Scanguage II
all corners air suspension
Old 01-03-2014, 09:00 AM
New User

Quote:
Originally Posted by heymrdj View Post
This sounds like a failing cat to me, typically whenever you blow that hose it's a backpressure problem (or a failed egr). 2PSI seems high to me for an idle line pressure, you want to be closer to 1 if I remember correctly, at least under 1.5psi. 2 For most vehicles indicates restriction.

OEM (and OEM like replacements from companies like magnaflow) are dual section and mount both oxygen sensors. I highly recommend these units to the universal ones. But it's also more expensive. A universal is like 250$ per side, the OEM like one is about 700$.
Thanks for the suggestion. Wouldn't a failing cat have reduced power, but not complete power loss? I'm having complete power loss, and then full power suddenly returns after a bunch (maybe 5 or 8) attempts to get back up the launch ramp.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:07 AM
Elder User

heymrdjlive
Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgueman View Post
Thanks for the suggestion. Wouldn't a failing cat have reduced power, but not complete power loss? I'm having complete power loss, and then full power suddenly returns after a bunch (maybe 5 or 8) attempts to get back up the launch ramp.
Full power loss is indicative of a plugged cat, normally a cat where the honeycomb has broken apart inside a formed a plug due to the high temps. You may be getting power by melting the plug slightly with the high revs. Normally by that point though you'll throw error codes. Have you had the engine scanned?
NEW: 2 3/4" pipe with Flowmaster Super 50 Delta Flow Muffler and 3.5"x18" echo tip WOOT
Upcoming:
WAAG grill guard
Scanguage II
Old 01-03-2014, 09:30 AM
New User

I think I may have a different issue than the original poster. My Navigator will pull the boat up the launch ramp a few feet, and then I have complete loss of power. No revving of the engine...it just idles normally while I'm pressing the gas (and taking my foot off the "everyday" brake. Finally, after a number of attempts (maybe 5 or 7 of them), it'll successfully pull the boat up the ramp. I've had the vehicle at the Forder dealership and no codes are showing.
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 AM
Elder User

heymrdjlive
To me that sounds like a bad accelerator pedal assembly. The throttle is electronic, so if the switch is going faulty it will register intermittent moments on the accelerator. Here' info from another section of the forums, I don't know if the 08 uses the same IVS setup though. One user mentions same as you, having to "pump" the go pedal before finally it works.

http://www.ford-trucks.com/forums/93...ce-w-pics.html
Upcoming:
WAAG grill guard
Scanguage II
Old 01-03-2014, 09:36 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Newer Light Duty Trucks > 2007+ Expedition & Navigator