Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?

1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel SPONSORED BY:

Welcome to Ford-Trucks Forums!
Welcome to Ford-Trucks.com.

You are currently viewing our forums as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Ford-Trucks Forums community today!

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 10-21-2012, 04:47 PM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
Brand new backup camera

Wanted to give everyone a heads up. Today I just finished installing a new backup camera on my truck. It replaces the tailgate latch with a new one that has an integrated CCD camera. There are several brands out on the market, but this one just came out this month:

Click the image to open in full size.

It's made by Rostra, and it fits 2004-2012 F-150 and Superduty (according to their site). I have a 2008 tailgate, and it was a perfect fit for mine. Got mine from a place called Brandon Distributing. Very good customer service, even followed up with me after my order was placed to let me know it was a brand new product, and that they would ship me one as soon as the got it in inventory. Don't know if posting the link to a non-sponsor like this is kosher, but what the hell:

ROSTRA Latch Camera for 2004-12 Ford F150 Trucks

The reason why I'm pimping this camera is that it's at least $100 cheaper than any other brand I've found out there. I picked this one up for $220, and most others were $350+ for a CCD version (which is what my Kenwood requires). It looks to be really high quality, the picture is better than my old backup camera, and it looks OEM. So I'm happy with it.

One thing to note, I was searching the forums trying to figure out where to tap into the reverse tail lights for the camera, and no one had a consensus on where to tap into the cab. Everyone always pointed at the harness under the hood, or the wire loom at the back bumper. Yet this kit was set up for connecting somewhere in the cab. I did find a thread that pointed to the wrong wire under the steering column, and connecting my backup camera to this wire caused my truck to ding like I had the key in the ignition with the door open.

So..... passenger's side kick panel, black wire w/pink trace. Can't miss it. Tap that wire, and there's a ground right there as well. Works perfect for those looking to hook up a backup camera, and need a place to tap into the cab rather than outside. This backup camera kit has the exact perfect wiring length to tap into that kick panel, if you have an in-dash DVD system like mine. If you're using a rearview mirror display, it might fit, but I don't know for certain.

Anyway, just wanted to post this to help others. I was kinda frustrated with my online search for backup camera info, so maybe this will help future installs.
478hp/851tq on Haller's dyno - 7/28/12
Your connection to the Colorado diesel community.
Old 10-21-2012, 05:55 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Curtis, post a pic of your monitor with the camera activated please!

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 10-21-2012, 06:54 PM
Post Fiend

Pocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant futurePocket has a brilliant future
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stewart_H View Post
Curtis, post a pic of your monitor with the camera activated please!

Stewart
As you wish

It's not grainy on my screen, that's just how my phone picked it up.

By the way, that's an 8" drop hitch, and that camera picks it up on the very bottom slot. My old camera wouldn't see it at all.
Old 10-21-2012, 08:02 PM
Post Fiend

F350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputationF350-6 has a superb reputation
Great info on the black wire pink tracer for the in cab signal. When I installed a back up camera on the wife's truck, I just ran a wire to the back to pick up reverse since I had to run wires to the camera anyway.

That's a pretty impressive wide view for a camera that seems to be pointing mostly down.

“Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.” Will Rogers
Old 10-21-2012, 08:06 PM
SUPER size it!

UP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud ofUP_There has much to be proud of
nice panoramic view. My backup cam is on the license plate, pretty cheezy, but it works

PAA #5
2000 F250 Crew Cab with a few goodies
Old 10-21-2012, 08:14 PM

Stewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputationStewart_H has a superb reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pocket View Post
As you wish
VERY nice!

Stewart
2000 PSD Excursion 4x4: 38R, JW trans, F5, MBRP, AFE, OBA and Pre-Pump, V & B codes
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!
Old 10-21-2012, 10:54 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_There View Post
nice panoramic view. My backup cam is on the license plate, pretty cheezy, but it works
That's what I just replaced. Except mine quit working.
Old 10-22-2012, 06:26 AM
Postmaster

Pitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud ofPitcrw6 has much to be proud of
That is a nice view
Old 10-22-2012, 10:20 AM
Posting Guru

grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.grec-o-face has a very good reputation on FTE.
I've always wanted to do this! Awesome view!! I'm still rocking a stock head unit, so it won't be anytime soon for me.
Old 10-22-2012, 11:35 AM
Still learning every day!

F250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputationF250_ has a superb reputation
I really like the OEM appearance. Let us know in several months how it holds up.
Pete (F250_) -- PAA#19
'02 F250 PSD, CC, SB, XLT, 2WD: 252K miles
Basic, low cost, not really performance enhancing mods.
'03 Excursion (Eddie Bauer) PSD, 2WD, 176K miles - Stock.
http://guzzle.rbmicro.com/7pt3/Mods.html
Old 10-22-2012, 11:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbragiel View Post
That is a nice view

Yup. Can't argue with that. I'd have to agree!

Stewart
Never Fry Bacon NAKED!

Last edited by Stewart_H; 10-22-2012 at 11:46 AM.
Old 10-22-2012, 12:09 PM
Senior User

COE Guy is gaining momentum as a positive member of FTE.
Quote:

Stewart
NICE view O YEA
Old 10-22-2012, 03:29 PM
Posting Guru

BadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to beholdBadDogKuzz is a splendid one to behold
Quote:

Stewart
I concur !!! I don't think Rob's wife knows he is posting her photo on his profile.
Ed PAA#121 "It's a sick world and I am a happy guy"
E99 F350 Lariat CC DRW 215k: 4" MBRP,up&down pipes coated/wrapped, bellows, T500, Kuzz4R100, TruCool, CCV with catch can, 50cent, E99 turbo/1.0 w.g.turbine, T.M. wastegate, EBPV delete,470-ohm, hutch/harpoon, A/C shim, K&N, Smoked lights

'76 E350 DRW/26' Holiday Ramber 460 4bl C6 : Autometer gauges
Old 10-22-2012, 08:30 PM
Post Fiend

Quote:
Originally Posted by F250_ View Post
I really like the OEM appearance. Let us know in several months how it holds up.
If it breaks, I'll post up why and how.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:36 AM
New User

hingabo is starting off with a positive reputation.
Rear View Feedback

I just ran across this camera, myself, and found your thread looking for reviews/feedback. Thanks for posting. Curious: my 08 is already pre-wired and has the blue screen in the mirror for a few seconds when I select reverse. Sometime prior to my purchase of this truck, the tailgate got replaced. I'd be interested in knowing if anyone has spliced this into an existing 'mirror' setup rather than the 'glass cockpit'. Today is Thanksgiving, so I may give Brandon Distributing a call tomorrow to see if they have advice. Thanks again for posting, especially the rear shots.
Old 11-22-2012, 10:36 AM

Go Back   Ford Truck Enthusiasts Forums > Diesel > 1999 - 2003 7.3L Power Stroke Diesel