Sponsored by:

new parts are crap!

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2012, 08:24 PM
autochefc
Junior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
new parts are crap!

Ok I have an 89 4.9L strait six 4x4 manual bronco I had major starting problems I replaced the key cylinders ignition switch and solenoid and my starter was still running when truck was started and key was in run. I should tell you I bought a remanufactured starter from O Reilly’s well it kept getting stuck in the fly wheel. So I called on of my gear head buddy’s and he said drill the hole bigger so it sits further way from the fly wheel . well I tried this and after pounding the dust plate on the tranny for 1 ½ hours it still got hung up so I took it back and went to the junk yard and the truck started and ran with no problems. So the moral of the story is sometime new parts are bigger peace’s of crap than the stuff you find at the junk yard! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>

Old 10-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
Anything from O'reilly, Vatozone, Pepboys, etc is not worth what you pay.
Napa, Henderson's, Carstar, Rock Auto etc are the only places to buy major parts other than Ford, IMO.

Old 10-20-2012, 11:38 PM
pintoches
Postmaster
Every one comes in the parts store and buys the cheapest pieces of Crap we sell then complains when it don't work right! Buy a remand 1 year stater for $39.99 and get crap! Buy a brand new Motorcraft for $200 and you get a great Starter!

Moral of the story buy cheap get crap!

Last edited by pintoches; 10-21-2012 at 08:41 AM. Reason: Spelling
Old 10-20-2012, 11:47 PM
Torky2
Fleet Mechanic
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Actually, shouldn't the title have been "Rebuilt Part Was Crap"?

The problem with rebuilt parts is the business goes to the one with the lowest costs, until there are so so many returns that it p*sses the retailer's customers off royal. Then they negotiate with a different rebuilder for awhile. Sometimes you know WHO the rebuilder actually is. Other times, the parts retailer puts their own name on it, and you don't know who rebuilt it.

There is one large rebuilder that I will never buy any of their stuff. Never ever. No matter what "Quality" yak yak yak they smear about. And hey, you can buy their junk at many retailers, including... wait for it... ROCK AUTO!

For new parts, buy the manufacturer and the product line. For instance, some respected parts manufacturers also have a "value" line to get the low-end business too. I won't touch that stuff. And yes, Rock Auto besides selling good stuff also sells low-line stuff too, and they admit it, they aren't trying to hide it. To each his own.

Let's set the record straight on something here in case anyone has illusions - NAPA does not make anything. They are a distributor. The parts are made by many different companies, and are supplied to NAPA's wharehouses in the pretty named boxes as specified by NAPA. So all those "quality" NAPA names are just names printed on the boxes. They have no special magic. Marketing, they have been doing it for decades.

I shop O'Reilly the most, a little bit of AutoZone, and Rock Auto if I can wait for it, or if there is such a big price advantage that it overcomes the wait. But I am always careful who's part I buy.

Old 10-21-2012, 10:56 AM
g_k50
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
It's a four letter word to some

But it's where I prefer to get my quality parts FORD!

Old 10-21-2012, 01:19 PM
Raleigh1
Elder User
Originally Posted by Torky2
Let's set the record straight on something here in case anyone has illusions - NAPA does not make anything. They are a distributor. The parts are made by many different companies, and are supplied to NAPA's wharehouses in the pretty named boxes as specified by NAPA. So all those "quality" NAPA names are just names printed on the boxes. They have no special magic. Marketing, they have been doing it for decades.

I shop O'Reilly the most, a little bit of AutoZone, and Rock Auto if I can wait for it, or if there is such a big price advantage that it overcomes the wait. But I am always careful who's part I buy.
I have no illusions of Napa, I know they do not manufacture of reman anything.
They do however have a better source than O'reilly's or Vatozone for reman parts.
Let's put it this way I had an alternator in my Suburban when I bought that was 3 weeks old from O'reilly's, it was dead 2 weeks later, I got it replaced by O'reilly and that one died 6 weeks later.. I replaced it with a reman from Napa and have not had a problem since.

Last year I was in a pinch and picked up an O'reilly starter for the Bronco, the first one had a bad set of winding right out of the box. The next one lost the actuator on the trail in December in the snow!
I will NEVER buy any part like that from O'reilly ever again...

Old 10-21-2012, 03:34 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by autochefc
Ok I have an 89 4.9L strait six 4x4 manual bronco I had major starting problems I replaced the key cylinders ignition switch and solenoid and my starter was still running when truck was started and key was in run. I should tell you I bought a remanufactured starter from O Reilly’s well it kept getting stuck in the fly wheel. So I called on of my gear head buddy’s and he said drill the hole bigger so it sits further way from the fly wheel . well I tried this and after pounding the dust plate on the tranny for 1 ½ hours it still got hung up so I took it back and went to the junk yard and the truck started and ran with no problems. So the moral of the story is sometime new parts are bigger peace’s of crap than the stuff you find at the junk yard! <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
The true moral of the story is that you replaced every part in the starting system because you lack the ability to trouble shoot a problem, you use the cheapest parts that you can find, you take the 'advise' of a moron and drill out holes to move the position of the starter, then you can't comprehend why you have issues.

Old 10-21-2012, 06:41 PM
autochefc
Junior User
fire wood truck. first of all I ran all the diagnostic test I could think of with the help of many smart guys on this forum that did not start to criticize me for not being the know it all you seem to be second I take great offence in you calling my freind a moron. if you have constructive critisisume then share it dont try to demean every one that dose not do it your way!!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:26 PM
1_ton_bronco
Posting Guru
rockauto is cheap and have good parts..

Old 10-22-2012, 02:35 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
it depends on what you get, honestly. I've had nothing but bad luck with NAPA. I know they sell some good parts, but .. well, not to me.

Just bought a driveshaft from OReillys and it is absolutely amazing, better than factory.. also loved a Distributor I got from them a while ago.. some of their BWD electronics are good, the headlight switch I got from OReillys was perfect.
However, I bought a BWD MLPS and it was the EXACT same part as the Duralast from Autozone! I was shocked by this.. oddly enough it worked when the Duralast didn't.

Autozone carries Timken and we all love their bearings.. I think they all use Felpro don't they? and Felpro is garbage.. then Bosch with their, again absolute garbage O2 sensors (which is why they have like 6 month warranties? what the ****?)

really, it just depends on which part you buy... truth of the matter is, most of the electronics are made by the same people nowadays and sold to companies here in the US for them to brand. The companies might not even buy the same part from the same manufacturer batch to batch, so it really is just a crap shoot. Duralast, BWD, Summit in-house, they can ALL come from the same place when you buy, or if you return the part you may get one from the same brand that is completely different. You can sometimes get rebranded highend parts for half the price too, Summit headers and Distrubitor caps for example!

Sadly enough, Ford is sourcing from some of these same people too, so don't get too excited over Ford parts anymore... at least with older used parts..
people swear by Ford TPSs for example, but the last one I saw from Ford was the exact same TPS that's in my truck, which came from Autozone (recent replacement), probably built on the same assembly line.
To be fair, the TPS I just got from Autozone was really, really good, so I'm going to assume Ford's quality control is just higher than Autozone's, and maybe this certain line of TPSs are really good or something, I dunno. The last TPS I got from Autozone was garbage and stopped working in a couple of months.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:39 AM
ErrorS
Posting Guru
Originally Posted by firewood truck
The true moral of the story is that you replaced every part in the starting system because you lack the ability to trouble shoot a problem, you use the cheapest parts that you can find, you take the 'advise' of a moron and drill out holes to move the position of the starter, then you can't comprehend why you have issues.
dude, some of us don't have time to 'troubleshoot' every single problem... I troubleshoot stuff for a living (computers) and a lot of times just don't feel like screwing with it in my Bronco so I replace suspected parts. Worst case scenario, I replace an old part with a new part that has a warranty and have another working part as a backup.
Even if the new cheaper part is junk, if it has a warranty I couldn't care less.

Common sense can usually get you by without extensive troubleshooting... recently my starter solenoid went out, I didn't check a single dang thing, I just replaced it.. I was right and saved me valuable time by not troubleshooting.

anyways, you were being sorta mean dude.

Old 10-22-2012, 09:14 AM
autochefc
Junior User
Thanks guys for your replies its true many times its easier to just replace than to trouble shoot. I have for the most part bought my parts from AutoZone and o riley’s and have not had that bad of luck and the service and always been to the best of there peoples ability but What I was trying to say is it should not mater if you pay $39.99 for a starter or $200 it should bolt up just fine and work you generally pay more for parts that last longer but unfortunately I cant always afford the Napa or dealer parts so I buy cheep an pray they out live there warranty. This truck is not a project for me it’s my daily driver if I can’t get it on the road than my family suffers I wish I had the capital to just park it and do the upgrades and work when I get to it. but I have to fix it now luckily its running just fine now that’s why this form is so great ford lover collaborating on the many way they have fixed the same problems. Thanks<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-comfficeffice" /><o></o>
<o></o>

Old 10-22-2012, 10:27 AM
Edgethis
Lead Driver
Received 370 Likes on 280 Posts
I just wanted to add my .02. I am a commercial sales rep for the local Advance Auto parts here on the side. EVERYONE (dealership), Ford, Chevy, Nissan,.......orders their parts either through Advance Auto or Autozone.

I agree with FireWood Truck, too many times a customer will come in (or a shady garage) and buy the cheapest flippin part and then complain that it doesnt work or last. I tested 4 reman starters right out of the box this weekend that were bad. none of the new starters I tested were bad. I don't have the time nor does anyone at other parts stores to personally test each part before it goes out the door.

I wouldn't call your friend a moron for suggesting you oval out the mounting holes to "position" the starter further away, tho someone that actually tried that advice prolly shouldn't be installing a starter..or doing much else on a vehicle. Now that starter can wiggle when under load causing all kinds of wear issues, even potentially breaking the mounting ears off!

If this vehicle is the daily driver for a family then you should not be riskingit with the cheapest possible parts, if anything a project vehicle would use cheap parts as its not required for everyday use if it breaks.

Tho I am glad to see you got the truck back up and running!

Old 10-22-2012, 12:12 PM
firewood truck
Senior User
Originally Posted by autochefc
fire wood truck. first of all I ran all the diagnostic test I could think of with the help of many smart guys on this forum that did not start to criticize me for not being the know it all you seem to be second I take great offence in you calling my freind a moron. if you have constructive critisisume then share it dont try to demean every one that dose not do it your way!!
After re-reading my post, I agree that I could have worded it better than the way I did, I'm sorry for offending you. I don't try to demean and I definitely don't consider myself a know-it-all, I've asked for plenty of help in this website and have been fortunate enough to get pointed in the right direction. I try to share what knowledge I have on these trucks when I can. If you saw my truck, you'd know that I don't operate on a big budget, I'm as guilty as anyone else using a junkyard part over something from the chain stores. It's just when you read that every part has been replaced, it doesn't sound like much diagnostic work has been done, which will usually reveal the true cause of the issues.

I DO agree with your thought about the re-manned starter should be problem free, although at that price point, you really have to think about what could possible be considered "rebuilt". I have the opinion that if a part carries a 'life time' warranty, you are going to spend a life time replacing the thing.

As for calling your buddy a moron for drilling out holes to move the starter around, that one stays- that is just pure ignorance because now you have changed the location of the mounting holes in the block, that can't be easily fixed.

I honestly hope you get your issues fixed, I won't comment anymore in your thread.

Old 10-22-2012, 12:24 PM
autochefc
Junior User
i hold no grudges life is to short to stay mad plus my truck is back in action so i am ready to go elk hunting agin. yea buddy

as for drilling the holes out it was on the starter not the block and modifingh the dust shield to move the starter away from the fly wheel it would have done nothing to the organl bell housing.

Quick Reply: new parts are crap!