Sponsored by: DP Tuner

Tips for cold weather starting please.

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 08:25 AM
damonlan
Senior User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips for cold weather starting please.

OK, so I havn't started the truck in a week. It was 29 deg F outside this morning. Cranked for about 15 seconds, - nothing. Waited a few seconds, then cranked for another 10 to 15 seconds, - finally turned over.

I live in an area where it will be below 10 deg F every morning in December and January. We have about 20 to 25 days a year where it will be below 0 deg F. We will get -8 to -10 deg F several times every year. And, although I believe it was an anomaly, two years ago we had -28 deg F for three straight days.

So, all that being said, given that today was not that cold (comparitively speaking), what can I do to aid cold weather starts?

This truck was first purchased new in Taos, New Mexico. Where I live now is colder than there, but it still gets pretty cold in Taos and I would have thought the dealer would have sold a truck with the block heater, but no. I also do not have a garage to park the thing in.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old 10-19-2012, 08:37 AM
lartross
Elder User
You might want to plug it in at night....will start much easier.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:44 AM
Ponyboychris
Hit it!
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
In a nutshell, your batteries, charging system, Glow Plug Relay (GPR) and glow plug system needs to be in good shape in order for trouble free cold starts.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:54 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by damonlan
This truck was first purchased new in Taos, New Mexico. Where I live now is colder than there, but it still gets pretty cold in Taos and I would have thought the dealer would have sold a truck with the block heater, but no. I also do not have a garage to park the thing in.
Are you sure it doesn't have a block heater? It seems odd to me that it wouldn't have a block heater. Have you rummaged around the grill area and looked for the pigtail? That being said, our trucks start pretty easy down into the single digits IF the batteries, GP & GPR are in good working order. Finally, change your oil over to 5-40W synthetic (at least for the winter). Your batteries and starter will thank you. I never use a block heater and I have started easily at zero degrees.

Old 10-19-2012, 08:55 AM
damonlan
Senior User

Originally Posted by lartross
You might want to plug it in at night....will start much easier.
Lartross,

Looked for the plug, can't find it. I assume it is not there since it is not located where the manual says it should be. Any suggestions on where else to look? I really don't think I have one.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:00 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Received 199 Likes on 107 Posts
Look on the driver side of the oil pan, right above the oil filter. If you have a block heater, it inserts there and the cord (typically orange) will be routed outwards towards the frame and body panel and then forward to the front bumper. It might just be that someone clipped the end off the cord, or it might be hanging in a really out of the way place, or it might not be there.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:01 AM
damonlan
Senior User

I guess I'll look harder for the plug nlemerise, since you are suggesting it may have moved. And I was planning on waiting till after Thanksgiving to change to a thinner oil because I just changed it and I will be traveleing to a warmer climate for the holliday. If I go to the 5-40, I suppose it won't hurt to make the trip to the warmer climate.

BTW, is there a way to look up the VIN to tell if I should have a block heater or not?

Old 10-19-2012, 09:13 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Here is a labelled picture of how the block heater connects to your engine.

I doubt if the VIN would indicate whether or not your truck came with a block heater, but if it can, it would be by way of sending your VIN back to Ford and getting what they call a "build" letter which would designate the kinds of options your truck initially came with. Even then, that doesn't mean that it wasn't removed by someone else (if it's not there).

Attached Images  
Old 10-19-2012, 09:14 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Here is a picture of the where the heater enters the block:

Here is where the wiring runs to the front bumper, drivers side...

Nope, 5-40W can be used year-round...remember the 5 is the cold viscosity and the 40 is the hot viscosity. So a 15-40W oil is just really thicker at start up.

You can look around, there are people here who will do an "Oasis" report for you (I think it would be in that report)...I just can't think of who right now. Another option is to pay your smiling Ford dealer for an Oasis report.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:17 AM
F250_
Hotshot
Originally Posted by nlemerise
Here is a picture of the where the heater enters the block:

Nope, 5-40W can be used year-round...remember the 5 is the cold viscosity and the 40 is the hot viscosity. So a 15-40W oil is just really thicker at start up.

You can look around, there are people here who will do an "Oasis" report for you...I just can't think of who right now. Another option is to pay your smiling Ford dealer for an Oasis report.
I've just walked into the parts counter and received an Oasis report from them just for asking. IIRC, the Oasis report only lists the warranty work done at a Ford dealer... can't remember if it details the vehicle options or not.

BTW, Neal, your pic doesn't show up for me.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:25 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by F250_

BTW, Neal, your pic doesn't show up for me.
That is weird...both pictures don't show?

BTW, didn't we use to have a good Sticky on cold weather prep, maintenance, etc.? I see Chris linked the thread...thank you Chris!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:11 AM
damonlan
Senior User

OK thanks guys, the pics and diagrams helped a bunch. As you can see, I've got the cord and heater, I just had a hard time finding the plug because it was hidden behind the grill guard plate.

BTW, I know it's really dirty under there. Crank case vent had a pinched seal and that crap got every where. Did the rerout kit fro Riffraff Diesel Performance and all is good now, I just havn't got around to cleaning the damn thing.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:16 AM
Fat Diesel
Logistics Pro

Received 95 Likes on 52 Posts
A block heater is needed when it's 29 below, not 29 above. It's likely your glow plug relay is not working. Do you have an LED connected to the glow plug side of the relay?

Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 AM
nlemerise
Logistics Pro
Originally Posted by Fat Diesel
A block heater is needed when it's 29 below, not 29 above.
We won't even need block heaters in a few years, right?

But really, I never use the block heater (though I keep it in good order and make sure every year that it does work)...starts right up after led goes off (do NOT use the Wait to Start light Damon).

Quick Reply: Tips for cold weather starting please.