1999 to 2016 Super Duty 1999 to 2016 Ford F250, F350, F450 and F550 Super Duty with diesel V8 and gas V8 and V10 engines
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Jack and Tools Missing '09 F250

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2012, 07:51 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Received 35 Likes on 19 Posts
Jack and Tools Missing '09 F250

I just bought a 2009 F250 that was a former fleet vehicle. Somewhere along the line the jack and its tools were removed. I have a few questions that I was hoping y'all could help with.

I saw on eBay a collection of tools and the jack that claims to have p/n 1U5A-17A078-BA. Is there a way to see if this is a match for my vehicle, since the year of their vehicle is different than mine?

The manual (which I found online, since it was also missing) makes reference to a spare tire lock key that you put on the end of the extension to lower the spare. Are all these "keys" the same, or do I need a particular one to lower my spare?

I'm not a big fan of the mechanical bottle jack that Ford provided with my Bronco and F150. However, both of those had a crank handle that was about 4 feet long (it lived over the radiator). I'm thinking of getting a hydraulic bottle jack instead. I know I still need the tool parts to lower my spare and a suitable lug wrench. Has anyone else swapped out for a different jack and have any "lessons learned" about what went right or wrong?

I may be overthinking this, but I just had a flat on my F150 last week, and had to use bolt cutters to remove the lock on the spare since the keys had apparently run away from the glovebox a few years ago. Just trying to avoid more of those "oh snap!" moments.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2012, 08:17 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Received 1,415 Likes on 1,010 Posts
I carry a bottle jack as well as the one from ford.

You did check behind the seats?

Go to a junkyard and pic up what you need.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:18 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by senix
I carry a bottle jack as well as the one from ford.

You did check behind the seats?

Go to a junkyard and pic up what you need.
Thanks for the quick reply!

Yes, it is a SuperCab, so I lifted the rear seat bottoms and saw the empty retainer for the jack and the hole in the floor for the tool storage attachment. Any idea about the "key" for the spare? Looking with a flashlight down the hole, it appears to have evenly spaced lobes - kind of like a flower. I'm hoping they are all the same, so one from another truck will fit it. But I don't know. Wouldn't want to buy something useless from the junkyard!

Old 10-19-2012, 09:21 AM
senix
Super Moderator
Same as other years. What I would do just to be sure is try it at the yard before you buy it. I am sure they would let you do that.

Old 10-19-2012, 09:22 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by senix
Same as other years. What I would do just to be sure is try it at the yard before you buy it. I am sure they would let you do that.

Now why didn't I think of that?

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2012, 10:18 AM
Zedrive
Senior User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Old 10-19-2012, 10:30 AM
kd0axs
Cargo Master
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
My truck didn't come with this stuff either. I went to the junkyard and got the jack, handle, and tire iron for 20 bucks. However, I also carry a small floor jack and a 4 way lug wrench in my tool box.

As far as the lock goes, you can easily remove it so you don't need the key.

Take a 9/16 12 point socket on a long extension, put it in there and give it a couple good smacks with a hammer to drive it onto the lock. Then you can use a ratchet to lower the tire.

Once the tire is down, pull the extension out. The socket will stay on the lock. Then go under the truck and remove the plastic tube, 1/4 turn and it will pull right out through the bumper.

Once the plastic tube is out of the way, you can use a screwdriver and hammer to pop the lock out of there.

Now just put the plastic tube back in and you can raise/lower the spare tire with the jack handle.

Old 10-19-2012, 10:49 AM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by kd0axs
Thank you and thanks to Zedrive. This appears to be the method used by a few folks!

This is getting less expensive and more versatile quickly! Looks like I may remove the lock and just use a lug wrench and hydraulic bottle jack.

Thanks!

Old 10-19-2012, 11:39 AM
bucci
Laughing Gas
Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
If you aren't going to use the factory jack and are going to buy a bottle jack, you have to make sure you buy one that is short enough to fit under the vehicle/axle with a completely flat tire while extending high enough to put a fully inflated tire on.

Sometimes that criterial calls for a bottle jack with a two stage ram. The jack should also have the capacity to lift the vehicle when the vehicle is loaded to max capacity.

Old 10-19-2012, 11:47 AM
senix
Super Moderator
I use a 6 ton bottle jack. the ram will extend by threads.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:34 PM
Misky6.0
Lead Driver
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Get the right size deep socket at your local parts store.
Then get an inexpensive breaker bar to go with it.
Most stores let me take a socket out to test before i buy.
You now have a more versatile tool for your sockets too.
If you change wheels just buy another socket.

Old 10-29-2012, 04:01 PM
SC_Hoaty
FTE Chapter Leader
Originally Posted by Zedrive
Originally Posted by kd0axs
My truck didn't come with this stuff either. I went to the junkyard and got the jack, handle, and tire iron for 20 bucks. However, I also carry a small floor jack and a 4 way lug wrench in my tool box.

Take a 9/16 12 point socket on a long extension, put it in there and give it a couple good smacks with a hammer to drive it onto the lock. Then you can use a ratchet to lower the tire.

Once the tire is down, pull the extension out. The socket will stay on the lock. Then go under the truck and remove the plastic tube, 1/4 turn and it will pull right out through the bumper.

Once the plastic tube is out of the way, you can use a screwdriver and hammer to pop the lock out of there.

Now just put the plastic tube back in and you can raise/lower the spare tire with the jack handle.
The video linked from the thread Zedrive linked was very helpful. I tried with an assortment of sockets, and could not get any of them to bite on the lock. I ended up using a damaged bolt removal tool sized for 15mm like the guy in the video did. My set (from a previous task) was 1/2" drive, so it wedged in the far end of the plastic tube, but still caught enough of the lock to lower the tire.

The guide tube came off with a 1/4 turn, but the winch was obscured by the bed on top and it's mount on the bottom. I removed two bolts to free it up, and then pryed out the lock piece.

After the winch and guide tube were reinstalled, I raised the spare using a tire iron. I need to find the extention kind like Ford provided, since I could only get 1/2 turn before the bumper interfered. Kind of a PITA, but it worked until I can get the right tools.

The junk yards I went to did not have any later model F250 or F350s. They had some from the 90's, but I'm not sure the same jack & tools were used back then. My early 90's F150 has the long jack handle that stores across the front of the motor, on top of the radiator. Not sure when they switched.

Thanks for the help!