1948 - 1956 F1, F100 & Larger F-Series Trucks Discuss the Fat Fendered and Classic Ford Trucks

Unlevel Cab. Adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 05:59 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Unlevel Cab. Adjustment?

Hi everybody, Please help a neophite with a problem concerning the levelness of the cab on my 54 f100. The driver side of the cab appears to be about 1/4" higher than the passenger side. I am observing this at the front edge of the bed. I can see about 1/4" of the rib on the rear of the cab for the driver side but none on the pass side. Has anybody had this problem? How did you correct it? Thanks, John

Old 05-19-2003, 07:43 PM
55forder
Elder User
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unlevel Cab. Adjustment?

I had the same situation , but I found out it was the BED that was off. I added some shims, and viola! we were sitting perfectly. As far as I know (from the other trucks I see) you should be able to see the top of the recesses in the back of your cab, about 1/2 inch. This may not be right, but Ive seen them on done trucks, same year as ours.

Old 05-20-2003, 11:36 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Unlevel Cab. Adjustment?

I realize what you are saying about the bed, but it is new and sits in the same tilted relationship to the cab as the old unit. I have the bed currently just sitting on the frame mounts so it is flush with the rails. A buddy told me that it is normal for the bed to tilt over time, but it usually favors the driver side. He thinks that maybe the prior owner tried to fix the problem and got it over corrected. ??? The truck goes in for paint on Monday, so I will probably have to figure it out this weekend. Thanks, John

Old 05-20-2003, 11:51 AM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Unlevel Cab. Adjustment?

Hello John,
Have you replaced the rear cab support arm bushings? At each end of the arms are metal sleeves for the attaching bolts, surrounded by rubber bushings.

Old 05-20-2003, 12:47 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Unlevel Cab. Adjustment?

I have not replaced any bushings on the cab. Are these located in the rear cab corners on small struts with a hole through each end? Or are you refering to the ones in the front corners? I got a bag of round rubber parts made by Dennis Carpenter when I purchased the truck. They are various sizes with the largest being about 1-1/2" across and about 3/8" thick. Evidently, the previous owner was planning to use them. Thanks, John

Old 05-20-2003, 01:09 PM
Huntsman
Posting Guru
Unlevel Cab. Adjustment?

They are in the rear corners of the cab, the upper end, connecting the arm to the cab is accessible through a hole at the back cab corner (covered by a rubber plug). The other end of the arm is attached to a rear cab-mounting bracket attached to the frame. Both ends of the arms have a steel sleeve and rubber grommets. This arrangement allows the cab to flex on the frame.

The front cab corners also have rubber mounts and if not level from side to side, could affect the rear corner height due to the rigidity of the cab.

Old 05-20-2003, 01:10 PM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Unlevel Cab. Adjustment?

Thanks, I'll check it out. It sounds like that is the likely problem. John

Old 05-26-2003, 03:34 AM
jaye
Posting Guru
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Unlevel Cab. Adjustment?

I had the same problem and thought it was the cab. Someone rearended me and I took it to the frame shop and the guy said it was the frame that had the cab at an angle he straighted it out and it looks great.

Old 05-28-2003, 09:48 AM
Jag Red 54
Logistics Pro
Unlevel Cab. Adjustment?

Thanks for the responses everyone. This holiday weekend I got busy and got under the truck for a look. The struts holding the cab to frame at the rear corners were original. I replaced the small rubber bushings and the large triangular bumpers. It was missing the one on the passenger side!!!!!. This was the problem. Now the cab sits level. (well, within 1/16") I'm glad I got this taken care of. Yesterday the truck went in the paint shop. Thanks again, John in Sacramento