General Automotive Discussion

Needing advice and help on decisions!

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2012, 01:25 PM
BloodCleanSoul
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Needing advice and help on decisions!

Hello! This is my first of hopefully many posts!

I'm looking to buy a Ford truck. BUT I am not sure what truck to get! Now the advice I need is on what to buy, I can't quite find enough info to help me make a decision, so I'm going to try here.

What are some of the best years?
How is MPG for 60s-70s trucks compared to 80s-90s compared to 2000+?
Is it possible to use an F100 as a dd or am I just dreaming? Should I stay away from the F100s?
Was the 351w made with EFI or not? What vehicles have it? MPGs?
Should I be concerned with buying a higher mileage truck?
How well does 2wd go in the snow? I'm from PA and we get some occasionally...
How much will 4wd kill my MPG?
And any other helpful tidbits that can be given.

I'm looking to stay under a budget of about $5500, so that puts me out of contention for most newer years. Big thing I'm concerned about is MPG as I'd like to buy a truck, but don't want to get killed on fuel costs. Looking to be about 15-18 MPG.

I'm pumped to be getting into a truck! Thanks for all the advice I know is about to follow!

Old 10-17-2012, 03:21 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Welcome to FTE!

What are you going to be using the truck for? Hauling, towing, etc...

Keep in mind that maintenance costs on older vehicles can be higher - however, if you're a DIY'er, they can be considerably easier to work on than a newer one. Also, you may want to check the emissions regulations in your area and make sure whatever you buy is in compliance...

I've found that 4WD does make an impact on mileage, but it's not hugely significant - it is possible to see around 20-25 mpg with 4WD. A lot of it depends on your driving style.

MPG is the main consideration for everyone these days... My '77 is sitting in my driveway simply because I can no longer afford to keep pumping gas into it (I can maybe see around 8-10 mpg if I hoist the mainsail to catch the tailwind.) It is thirsty and, as much as I love the truck, I may be forced to sell it in the next couple of months or so - already have a possible buyer...

If you do a lot of hauling/towing/whatnot, I'd suggest maybe looking at an F150 - if you're looking for a smaller truck that's easier to manage in traffic, then I'd suggest a Ranger. I've found I can haul as much in my Ranger as I did in my F150 but I haven't tried towing anything with it yet so, I don't know how that compares... A newer Ranger with a 4.0L seems to be comparable in mileage to a newer F150...

The main thing is deciding what you're going to be using it for then deciding how big of a truck you need to accomplish that goal - then go from there...

Old 10-17-2012, 07:55 PM
BloodCleanSoul
New User
More info

Thanks for the info! You brought up a good point-use. I'm just looking to drive and use the bed and potentially tow some lighter things, nothing heavy.

What engine does your '77 have? What are you referring to as far as a 4WD that gets 20-25 mpg? I thought about a ranger or smaller truck, but the trouble is I'm a big fella and really want space.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:17 PM
Furyus1
Postmaster
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by BloodCleanSoul
What engine does your '77 have?
A 400 overbored 0.060" - which puts it at around 414cid or 6.8L (approximate). The heads were swapped with a matched pair of reworked '72 Cleveland heads - which don't have the exhaust port restriction the 400 heads had. Still running the original 2bbl carb...

What are you referring to as far as a 4WD that gets 20-25 mpg?
My '04 Ranger. I've been averaging around that mileage lately - mostly highway @ 55-60 mph (I have 4.10 gears so, while it can easily do the interstate, it'd rather not). The mileage drops if the engine runs over 2500 RPM - which, from what I've read, is common for the 4.0L. When I got the truck, I was averaging closer to 18-20 mpg, but as I tinkered with it, it got better - 2 things that had the biggest impact on the mileage improvement (surprisingly) were the tonneau cover and new tires... Also, the truck has a manual 5-speed transmission - an automatic would get fewer mpg's.

I thought about a ranger or smaller truck, but the trouble is I'm a big fella and really want space.
Depends on the generation of the truck - Newer Rangers are quite a bit larger than the older ones and they have a surprising amount of space - especially the supercab models - I'm 6'2"/200-something pounds and I find the cab in my '04 to be quite comfy - being a supercab helps as you can tilt the seat back. I'm not sure I'd find a regular cab to be as accommodating (plus, you wouldn't have that storage area behind the seats)...

The thing to do would be to find one on a car lot somewhere and crawl inside it to see how it fits you...

Last edited by Furyus1; 10-17-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: Added transmission info.
Old 10-18-2012, 05:10 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
$5500 could fairly easily get you into a pre-'97 F-150. I would actually look for a truck with the 300 in line six cylinder as they are very reliable but not very fast. Such a truck in 4x4 could get you 17-18 MPG's. The V-8's of this vintage can get the same highway mpg's but will eat you up in town.

All of the F-150's from 80-96 share a strong kinship. Major differences being sheet metal and advancements in electronics which ultimately complicates matters but improves efficiency.

Old 10-18-2012, 10:13 PM
BloodCleanSoul
New User
How do some of the older model F100s do on MPGs? Do they make suitable Dailys? That's what i'm really interested in. I love those old trucks!

Old 10-19-2012, 04:45 AM
tseekins
Super Moderator
Received 1,221 Likes on 803 Posts
How do some of the older model F100s do on MPGs? Do they make suitable Dailys? That's what i'm really interested in. I love those old trucks!

Pre 1980 trucks all used 3 or 4 speed manual or 3 speed auto transmissions. Depending on the rear end gear ratios the mileage will vary from crap to decent.

Old 10-19-2012, 05:07 AM
55 f350
Post Fiend
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
you can't go wrong with any ford truck period , unless you buy one that has been ridden hard and put away wet . the early 70's ones i have had all had fe's and while not horrible they weren't the most efficient . as mentioned the 300 six is a good choice and there are plenty 'o' aftermarket parts out there to turn her into a hottie . the 80's through 95 or 96 models i have had were all good but suffered from rust issues where the rear shocks bolt into the frame , where the rear bumper bolts to the frame , and the radiator core support's like to rot away where they are mounted to the frame . i had an 83 2wd with a 300 six and heavy four speed i beat on for years , was full of patches on the frame and body , and never failed me . it was so loose you could grab the fan and yell contact and spin her over to start by the fan , but yet it used no oil , leaked a wee bit but ...... she had well over 300,000 on it when i gave it too my little brother . he sold it to a kid who to this day still uses it in his tree removal / trimming biz . i currently drive ( it's apart for a rebuild of the whole truck ) a 53 with a flathead in it . small cabs , and very poor mileage , like 8 in town worse on the road , but the smiles per mile are just fantastic !!!

Old 10-25-2012, 08:15 AM
19fifty4
Postmaster
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
With what you have budgeted you should be able to find a decent truck. You just need to narrow down what you would be happy with and look at alot of trucks to get an idea of good value. Good luck.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:17 AM
Frapper
Senior User
Straight six is good for towing and fuel economy. Only compromise is they don't have much horsepower.

If space is a concern I'd look for a crew cab or at least an extended cab so you can lean the seat back. Forget about the Ranger. Ranger sucks.

And if you plan on getting a slide in or towing a large trailer than don't get anything less than an f-250. The half ton isn't much of a work truck. My f150 did the job, but I had to replace most of the rear suspension.