Notices
1987 - 1996 F150 & Larger F-Series Trucks 1987 - 1996 Ford F-150, F-250, F-350 and larger pickups - including the 1997 heavy-duty F250/F350+ trucks
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for info on a transmission swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012, 10:31 PM
Sdbjm
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for info on a transmission swap

I' ve currently got a 1997 Ford F 250 with a gas motor 460 and 4 wheel drive also has a e4od trans that has been replaced once already. Im looking to swap it for a zf5 spd out of a 1990 donor. I not sure what parts will interchange and if parts off of a 150 will work such as the pedals and slave. I know that the pcm will need to be changed out with one of my year. Oh and if anybody knows what I will have to do to keep the factory speedometer. Any info is appreciated thanks

Old 10-17-2012, 08:11 AM
rla2005
Hotshot
Received 1,164 Likes on 919 Posts
Originally Posted by Sdbjm
I' ve currently got a 1997 Ford F 250 with a gas motor 460 and 4 wheel drive also has a e4od trans that has been replaced once already. Im looking to swap it for a zf5 spd out of a 1990 donor. I not sure what parts will interchange and if parts off of a 150 will work such as the pedals and slave. I know that the pcm will need to be changed out with one of my year. Oh and if anybody knows what I will have to do to keep the factory speedometer. Any info is appreciated thanks
No changes to your speedometer required. It receives a signal from the VSS sensor in the rear axle. A transmission swap will not affect it's operation.

Old 10-17-2012, 09:46 AM
Conanski
FTE Legend
Received 964 Likes on 763 Posts
You need a trans from a 460 truck because the bellhousing is integrated and that also eliminates all 1/2 ton trucks as donors since they were never equipped with the big V8. Components inside the cab such as the peddle assembly could be pulled from any truck however as the bodywork is the same for all series, and same goes for the computer you could use one from any 5-speed or C6 7.5L truck since that trans is also completely mechanical with no computer intervention.

Old 10-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Sdbjm
New User
Originally Posted by Conanski
You need a trans from a 460 truck because the bellhousing is integrated and that also eliminates all 1/2 ton trucks as donors since they were never equipped with the big V8. Components inside the cab such as the peddle assembly could be pulled from any truck however as the bodywork is the same for all series, and same goes for the computer you could use one from any 5-speed or C6 7.5L truck since that trans is also completely mechanical with no computer intervention.
Thanks for all the info I think im going to try it I will try to update it as it comes along thanks again

Old 01-14-2013, 09:49 PM
Sdbjm
New User
Sorry its been so long since I posted, I finally got all the parts gathered. I was hoping to find someone that would know if the steering column has to come out for me to swap the petals and if anyone has a picture of there petal assembly in the truck. Thanks

Old 01-14-2013, 10:55 PM
IDIDieselJohn
Post Fiend
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
A 1990 transmission will have a hole in it for the speedo cable. You will need to block that hole off if you use a transmission from a 1991 and older model.

Old 01-15-2013, 07:25 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
The column bolts up to the pedal assembly but if you pull the seat out it may go low enough to get the pedal support out.
I'd suggest reinforcing the area near the clutch master cylinder before you discover the joys of a torn firewall.
Sorry, there's not much room with the dash installed to take a picture.

Old 01-15-2013, 08:52 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
I am in the process of doin this exact swap! Lemme break it down for ya:

A ZF-5 in for an E4OD is about as easy of a swap as you can possibly do. Near everything will interchange with the exception of a few parts. If I may give some advice, GET A DONOR TRUCK!!! If you don't have one that is. It will completely take the guess work out of it! If you don't, heres what you need for a fact:

Trans (of course... make sure its comin off a big block)
ZF Crossmember
ZF Driveshafts (front ad rear)
Id take the t-case if its still attached and u want 4x4 (not necessary but way easier)
Pedal assembly
Slave cylinder
Plate on the floorboard where the stick goes (if that makes sense... instead of cutting a hole in the floor)

Some things to keep in mind: this is not one of those deals where you spend $1000 on a parts truck and you don't spend any more. You WILL need a new clutch plate, throwout bearing, pilot bearing, and the flexplate turned. Not to mention this would be a good time to replace the rear seal on ur t-case. Iv got roughly $300 in other parts alone but I bought a HD clutch kit too. Make sure you use an alignment tool

Some things that youd prolly want but not completely needed:

ZF tranny wiring harness (not the WHOLE trucks wiring, just the tranny)
ZF trucks PCM (I think that's what its called... the silver box thing)

This will ensure no lights on your dash and reverse lights. If you decide not to use these parts, that's fine. A manual tranny will work without any electronics whatsoever.

When you take the clutch kit off the donor truck, KEEP THE FLEXPLATE BOLTS! They are about twice as long as your flywheel bolts.

Since your taking the trans out of a 90 and yours is a 97, you will need a pedal assembly out of a 92-97 truck. They will not swap. Preferably, you should get a 92-97 slave cylinder too but redrilling some holes will fix this issue (prolly same story for pedals but I decided to get correct fitting ones). You have a plug stuck up under your dash that plugs into the slave cylinder after its installed.

Iv also heard youll need to change the 4x4 mechanism on your t-case but I haven't made it that far yet

If your like me and HATE transmissions with a passion, spend the money and do it right so itll last another 150,000 before you gotta pull the tranny again

Once you've got the parts set out and no parts are on backorder (GRR) this whole swap should take a weekend. Mines taking 2 weeks because O Reillys sucks...But that's how it goes. Good luck!!!

Old 01-15-2013, 09:02 AM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
^^^ Hey this kid is smart! This should be a sticky lol

Old 01-15-2013, 09:11 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

The plug at the clutch M/C is the clutch safety interlock. (serves the same purpose as the NSS on an automatic.)
It's a flexplate for an automatic and a flywheel for a standard.
One difference here is the engagement depth of the starter bendix gear.
You'll need a starter for a manual if you didn't get it from the donor.
(ask me how I know!)

Old 01-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Baddhabit
New User
Curious on what people think is the better tranny for this truck (F250 7.5 liter 460 4x4)?

Old 01-15-2013, 10:31 AM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

What year, the '89?
What do you do (or want to do) with the truck?

What are you asking?
Auto vs Manual?
4 speed vs 5?
C6 vs E4OD?

Old 01-15-2013, 03:54 PM
El Camino Man
Logistics Pro
ZF5 in my opinion. Granny low with an OD! Jerk anything out of the ground and get decent mileage doin it! Not to mention you cant burn up a manual. I guess you can burn up the clutch....

Old 01-15-2013, 04:29 PM
ArdWrknTrk
pedant

Or snap the input shaft!
OOooops!

Old 01-15-2013, 07:37 PM
Sdbjm
New User
Hey everyone thanks for the info ive got everything so far except the starter, but that wont be to hard to get. Hopefully work depending ill be able to start on this this weekend. About the t-case are you talking about just haveing to swap the linkage.

Quick Reply: Looking for info on a transmission swap