Sponsored by:
Sponsored by: DP Tuner

White smoke caused by ccv blockage?

Old 10-16-2012, 08:41 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
White smoke caused by ccv blockage?

Ok, so I tackled the CCV Mod this past weekend. The hardest part was running around the plumbing isle looking for what I needed to make it work. Put new orings for the doghouse and everything, then vented back to the intake.

Today after work, the truck was idling for about 10 minutes while I ran in the store for dog food. After getting back on the highway, I noticed heavy white smoke in the exhaust. I punched it real good and it cleared up after a quarter mile or so. About 12 miles I didn't notice anything, but had to pull off the road to clean up a bottle of windex that fell over and spilled everywhere. Idled for about 3-5 minutes and I noticed the white smoke again. Ended up making a pretty good cloud actually. Again, punched it real good and it seemed to clear up, but now i'm worried about a bad injector. When I got to the barn, I popped the hood and removed the oil fill cap to look for blow by, and there was a decent amount (but not really more than some of the videos i've watched in other posts saying it is normal). I'll do the floating cap trick tomorrow to compare, but anyway, That led me to notice that one of the hoses from the new CCV filter to the intake was kincked.

So, I unhooked the hose from the new tank to the intake and there is no more restriction there. I also noticed that there didn't seem to be anymore white smoke. Drove it a few miles and let it idle at my sister's house for about 10 minutes and still didn't see any white smoke in the exhaust. Drove the rest of the way home and let it idle for a few minutes and still didn't notice any white smoke in the exhaust.

So, I can't figure out how a blocked ccv hose could cause white smoke in the exhaust. I'm assuming it's just a coincidence, but if anyone knows, it's you guys. Could my white smoke have been caused by ccv blockage?

155K Miles btw, and the only thing i've done is gauges, K&N Intake, and CCV this past weekend.

New oil and filter less than 1000 miles ago, and replaced fuel filter at the same time. Full tank of diesel filled up this morning.

I'll check the blow by with the cap upside down tomorrow and report back, but i believe it's ok. I'm more worried about needing an injector, and figuring out which one is bad if that's the case...

Thanks in advance for the input guys.

Jeff

Old 10-16-2012, 08:44 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Truck ran fine otherwise, didn't notice any miss or sounds out of the ordinary (and I really pay attention to sound and acoustics. It's a curse...)

Old 10-16-2012, 08:46 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Its from the oil leaking past the seals due to the extra pressure. Turbo would be my best guess.

Happened to me one night after dropping my tank, I flipped up the vent tube onto the frame rail and then forgot. About 40 miles later I looked in the rear view mirror and freaked.

Vent it to air and be done.

Old 10-16-2012, 08:54 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Thanks joe, makes me feel a little better. My mind was running 90 to nothing trying to figure it out. I'm sure if I add an elbow to eliminate the kink it'll be fine going back to the intake.

So would the seal need to be replaced?

Old 10-16-2012, 09:04 PM
CSIPSD
Postmaster
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Nope... It will just stop pushing past.

Old 10-16-2012, 09:09 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
That was what I was hoping you'd say. I appreciate the time and knowledge brother. Reps sent as soon as I'm off mobile...

Old 10-17-2012, 05:50 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreyt
That was what I was hoping you'd say. I appreciate the time and knowledge brother. Reps sent as soon as I'm off mobile...
Same deal here. CCV with catch can = white smoke after extended idle. No catch can and the smoke is gone

Old 10-17-2012, 06:43 PM
jeffreyt
Postmaster
Haven't seen smoke all day with the hose unhooked. Fixed the kink with an elbow and hooked back to the intake. No smoke yet.

Chunder, you may have blockage like I did. Look for a kinked hose, or a low point that can become blocked.

Old 10-18-2012, 04:04 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well if you have the ccv with catch and back to intake you either have a blocked line, doghouse or it's the turbo seal on the compressor side. I think many times the doghouse needs to cleaned and check all lines. Also with a home made catch can you need to careful not to pack it too tight because then the catch can cause the restriction. Because positive crank case pressure is BAD!!

Old 10-18-2012, 06:32 PM
ChunderDownUnder
Cargo Master

Its was the Stealth CCV. I cleaned and checked all hoses and dog house. Checked the catch can and it had free flowing air. My 38R just doesnt like it.

Old 10-18-2012, 06:51 PM
BadDogKuzz
Postmaster
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChunderDownUnder
Its was the Stealth CCV. I cleaned and checked all hoses and dog house. Checked the catch can and it had free flowing air. My 38R just doesnt like it.
Brian now is this on your new engine?/ If so I would consider running it from the catch can to the exhaust. I am about to post up on an other tread "CCV modd revisited" with some issues I am having. I know alot of guys have run it straight to the air with no issue. But I myself like to try to keep my crank case pressure at a negative pressure. And if you are having these issues I think you might have too much negative crank case pressure if you are sucking oil vapors past the catch can. Or it could be because with the new engine the rings haven't seated yet.

Old 10-18-2012, 07:16 PM
GoCamping
Elder User
Mine has been vented to air for about 70k miles, no problems yet...