1997-2006 Expedition & Navigator 1997 - 2002 and 2003 - 2006 Ford Expedition and Lincoln Navigator Discussion

Adjustable pedal fix!

Old 12-16-2014, 11:21 AM
Tuffconductor
New User
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grinding noise

Well as my luck would have it, one of the inside tabs that hold the drive mechanism that turns the gear has broken off. I'm going to say that is what caused my problem to begin with. That being said it works at least now that I've installed the new brass gear. It's just loud and though I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking it probably won't last much longer.
All together I'm tired of fixing these little problems that arise so often on this Expedition and will be selling it soon and buying a new truck. Hopefully plastic technology has become substantially better since they seem to insist on building everything with it.

Old 12-16-2014, 12:24 PM
alloro
Received 4,174 Likes on 2,419 Posts
Originally Posted by Tuffconductor
Hopefully plastic technology has become substantially better since they seem to insist on building everything with it.
I'd like to see graphene be better developed for making cars and trucks with. It's 100X stronger than steel, lighter than steel, and doesn't rust.

Old 12-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Tuffconductor
New User
I got my new brass gear and installed it this morning. It works, however it makes a grinding noise. Could I have put the gear on backwards?
After taking this apart again, finding the broken tab, and reassembling everything, there is now no grinding sound. Turns out that the first time I put it together with the drive screw slightly out of place. Make sure when you put this gear in that you get the drive screw back in the way it was when you took it apart.
My pedals now move good as new. Thanks again Mr. Curless!

Old 12-18-2014, 01:30 PM
Curless
Senior User
After taking this apart again, finding the broken tab, and reassembling everything, there is now no grinding sound. Turns out that the first time I put it together with the drive screw slightly out of place. Make sure when you put this gear in that you get the drive screw back in the way it was when you took it apart.
My pedals now move good as new. Thanks again Mr. Curless!
You are more than welcome!

Thanks to all of you who have bought our parts, its fun to be able to help out and actually build a part that everyone needs!

Old 12-19-2014, 12:10 AM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
We could call you a business owner now Curless!

Old 12-19-2014, 07:37 AM
Curless
Senior User
Originally Posted by Ford'05HG
We could call you a business owner now Curless!

LOL, keep that quiet or the government will want a piece of it!

Old 12-19-2014, 02:08 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
Originally Posted by Curless

LOL, keep that quiet or the government will want a piece of it!
Whoops! Sorry!

Old 01-16-2015, 07:10 PM
sgoss66
New User
Chris (Curless) --

I'm so glad to have found this thread! I was searching the 'net today, trying to find a cheaper way to repair the broken "adjustable pedal" feature on my 2003 Expedition. We already replaced it once, at about 65,000 miles, and here we are at 132,000 and it's broken again. I was not looking forward to another $400 to $500 repair, since we've already repaired it once, and I just spent $800 on a new set of tires this past month.

I am definitely interested in one of your brass gears, if you have any left. I called your shop today, at the end of the day, but you were busy with other customers and I haven't heard back from you at this point -- but if you have one available, I would like to buy it.

Taking the black plastic cover off the gear mechanism, and having a look at how things work in there, I can't BELIEVE they made that gear out of plastic -- especially since the drive screw is metal. Had Ford spent the extra few bucks and put a metal gear in there, these things would last a lifetime. Instead, they use plastic, and THEN, if that's not bad enough, they design it to not really be "serviceable," so that taking it to the dealer for repair means that they will replace the brake pedal, gas pedal, and motor -- i.e. the WHOLE assembly, all for a broken 50 cent plastic part. So, what should be a couple of bucks for a part and 15 minutes of labor, instead costs upwards of $500! SO frustrating, and with me being 6'2" tall and my wife being 5'2", we use the adjustment regularly, so when it breaks, it pretty much HAS to be fixed. Infuriating.

THANKS for making this part, and making it available. You solved a problem for many, and it is much appreciated.

I left my phone number with you at your shop; if you could call me back, I'd appreciate it. I'd like to ask two quick questions regarding install, and get the part ordered (if possible) and get you paid.

THANKS!!

Steve

Old 01-18-2015, 11:51 AM
Curless
Senior User
Steve, thanks for looking us up! Your gear shipped out yesterday, thanks for your business!

Old 01-18-2015, 02:24 PM
sgoss66
New User
Originally Posted by Curless
Steve, thanks for looking us up! Your gear shipped out yesterday, thanks for your business!

Chris --

Thank YOU! $500 repair at the dealership, vs. $85 plus 15 minutes of my time (labor) -- for a part that will now last as long as the truck does? That's a no-brainer! Thanks for making this available to those of us who face this issue!

Steve

Old 01-21-2015, 09:12 AM
sgoss66
New User
Chris -- I got the package containing the gear and cap, and instructions, in the mail yesterday, and was able to easily complete the repair -- about 20 minutes, 10 of which was hand-filing the end of that acme bolt. Not hard, but time consuming, to file by hand. Otherwise, it was a breeze. The only other thing of note, is that since the gas pedal will adjust using the adjustment button, once the brake pedal is disconnected from the adjustment system (i.e. the gas pedal adjusts independently of the (stationary) brake pedal at that point), that means that you have to get the brake pedal and gas pedal "in synch" before re-assembling the adjustment system. The way I did it was to run the gas pedal all the way "out" using the adjustment button (i.e. moving the gas pedal out to a position as close to the driver's seat as it would go, as you would for a "short" driver), and then I hand-spun the gear to adjust the brake pedal to the "full out" position, as well. At that point, with them "in synch," I re-assembled everything, and it works perfectly.

THANKS again, for providing an excellent -- and MUCH more cost-effective "fix" for this pedal adjustment failure issue!

Steve

Old 01-21-2015, 11:10 AM
alloro
Originally Posted by sgoss66
THANKS again, for providing an excellent -- and MUCH more cost-effective "fix" for this pedal adjustment failure issue!
So give him some rep points and a nice comment to go with it.

Old 01-21-2015, 11:16 AM
sgoss66
New User
Originally Posted by alloro
So give him some rep points and a nice comment to go with it.
Once I figured out what you meant by "rep points" (I'm a little slow!), I did as you suggested.

Thanks!

Steve

Old 01-21-2015, 01:00 PM
Ford'05HG
Elder User
I've been here 2 years... What are rep points?

Old 01-21-2015, 01:55 PM
alloro
Originally Posted by Ford'05HG
I've been here 2 years... What are rep points?
Reputation points.

For people that help you (or try real hard) you can give them rep points to let others know that person knows what they're talking about. As a person builds rep points they get more of those green boxes under their post count over at the top right of their message window and the more you can trust their input. You get a new green box every 100 rep points for the first few, then the number needed for another box seems to go up after that. Adding a comment increases the points given over leaving the comment box blank. Also, the more rep points a person has, the more points they give when they rep someone else.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Adjustable pedal fix!